Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    15 Nov '15 18:013 edits
    https://www.yahoo.com/music/pianist-plays-john-lennons-imagine-outside-le-bataclan-162606527.html

    In France we see a man playing a piano with a big old peace sign on the piano. Well that's all well and good, but then starts sining "Imagine" by John Lennon.

    So here are the lyrics:




    Imagine there's no heaven

    (HIT THE DECK!!)

    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people living for today

    Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people living life in peace, you

    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

    Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people sharing all the world, you

    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

    Wow, he managed to make it through the song.


    So what should our response be? I grow weary of talking about the brainless leaders of various nations whose only answer is to bring more of these people into our countries. Obviously we are on our own here.
  2. Donationrwingettonline
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Joined
    09 Sep '01
    Moves
    26711
    16 Nov '15 03:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/music/pianist-plays-john-lennons-imagine-outside-le-bataclan-162606527.html

    In France we see a man playing a piano with a big old peace sign on the piano. Well that's all well and good, but then starts sining "Imagine" by John Lennon.

    So here are the lyrics:




    Imagine there's no heaven

    (HIT THE DECK!!)

    It's easy if yo ...[text shortened]... y answer is to bring more of these people into our countries. Obviously we are on our own here.
    What in the world does an old man singing John Lennon songs have to do with terrorism? Your posts are just bizarre.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13026
    16 Nov '15 03:35
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What in the world does an old man singing John Lennon songs have to do with terrorism? Your posts are just bizarre.
    I believe he is pointing out the irony of the old man playing a song about final peace in a city that has just been attacked by the Muslim extremist ISIS, which is not thinking of peace, but instead it is Jihad and conflict and war that is on their mind.
  4. Hy-Brasil
    Joined
    24 Feb '09
    Moves
    175970
    16 Nov '15 03:441 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    What in the world does an old man singing John Lennon songs have to do with terrorism? Your posts are just bizarre.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13026
    16 Nov '15 03:443 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/music/pianist-plays-john-lennons-imagine-outside-le-bataclan-162606527.html

    In France we see a man playing a piano with a big old peace sign on the piano. Well that's all well and good, but then starts sining "Imagine" by John Lennon.

    So here are the lyrics:




    Imagine there's no heaven

    (HIT THE DECK!!)

    It's easy if yo ...[text shortened]... y answer is to bring more of these people into our countries. Obviously we are on our own here.
    The old man singing a song wishing for peace is not enough to bring peace. I also do no believe signing an agreement with Iran that gives them hugh somes of money to build up their weapons of war is the right response either.

    I believe the only response to ISIS and other terrorist is to treat them like an infestation of roaches that must be exterminated as quickly as possible.

    I also agree with Trump that we should be happy to see the Russians bombing the hell out of the terrorists. I would not even be against Assad using chemical weapons, if they have any, against those roaches to exterminate them. I don't see why we considered Assad of Syria and Gaddafi of Libya as enemies anyway.

    The Real Reason Why Gaddafi Was Killed

    YouTube
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Joined
    03 Sep '06
    Moves
    3298
    16 Nov '15 03:543 edits
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.yahoo.com/music/pianist-plays-john-lennons-imagine-outside-le-bataclan-162606527.html

    In France we see a man playing a piano with a big old peace sign on the piano. Well that's all well and good, but then starts sining "Imagine" by John Lennon.

    So here are the lyrics:




    Imagine there's no heaven

    (HIT THE DECK!!)

    It's easy if yo ...[text shortened]... y answer is to bring more of these people into our countries. Obviously we are on our own here.
    Our response should be in using every means possible, including tech, spies, informants, information sharing with other countries in order to locate these terrorists and their networks. AND...ONLY...THEN take military action. This is what killed Osama Bin Laden and his associates, captured his computers, and crippled his network. Knee jerk reactions such as sending in 300,000 boots on the ground, shock and awe, and other "John Wayne" flag waving actions, will only result in the deaths of many innocent civilians, as well as getting many of our own people killed. Terrorism is a dirty game, and we need to use the tools of terror against the terrorists. As I've said here many times, you cannot win a 21st century war on terror with battle tactics from the 1940's.

    I'm confident a number of conservatives here would disagree with this answer, but the alternatives presented by them in the past were both inadequate, and counterproductive.

    P.S. Sorry if I've not addressed the subject of John Lennon's Imagine, but it has little to do with your question.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13026
    16 Nov '15 05:062 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    Our response should be in using every means possible, including tech, spies, informants, information sharing with other countries in order to locate these terrorists and their networks. AND...ONLY...THEN take military action. This is what killed Osama Bin Laden and his associates, captured his computers, and crippled his network. Knee jerk reactions such as ...[text shortened]... not addressed the subject of John Lennon's Imagine, but it has little to do with your question.
    Those are good ideas. However, after you say we should use every means possible, you seem to backtrack by eliminating troops on the ground and shock and awe.

    I would suspect we are already using those other techniques you mentioned and have only now decided to put less than 50 special ops troops on the ground with a small amount of air strike support. Still no evidence of shock and awe.

    Those being attacked by ISIS are not likely to last a couple years, while you and Obama take your time and play golf and what every until you feel you have enough information to act. ISIS can chop a lot of heads off while you diddle daddle around.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    29132
    16 Nov '15 15:05
    one of the many measures that need to be taken, none sufficient on its own, all necessary:stop bombing muslim countries.

    young man loses his home, his family, his livelihood. had no control over what happened. he is alone and hungry.

    terrorist recruiter offers all he had lost back: a home, a family, a full stomach. a sense of purpose.

    of course he will join.
  9. Hy-Brasil
    Joined
    24 Feb '09
    Moves
    175970
    16 Nov '15 15:22
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    one of the many measures that need to be taken, none sufficient on its own, all necessary:stop bombing muslim countries.

    young man loses his home, his family, his livelihood. had no control over what happened. he is alone and hungry.

    terrorist recruiter offers all he had lost back: a home, a family, a full stomach. a sense of purpose.

    of course he will join.
    Don't forget he is probably very upset about the weather too.🙄
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    16 Nov '15 15:28
    What should our response be to terrorism?


    Treat it for what it is. A serious crime, and not a world ending existential threat.

    We should stop giving up precious and vital civil liberties, stop pretending that it's possible to
    completely eliminate, and stop treating it as the biggest threat that overrides all other concerns.

    We have bigger problems, such as climate change, which need more urgent action.
    [this is not to say that we cannot do both, we can. But we are tending to focus far more effort
    and resources on terrorism at the expense of global warming and pollution. If we had spent the
    money we have spent on fighting wars that have made the situation worse on reducing pollution
    and fighting climate change, we would be most of the way to solving that problem by now, and
    we would have saved potentially millions of lives around the world by doing so.]

    And we also have a bigger problem with 'cybercrime' which poses a bigger threat to our economies
    [and moving forwards, increasingly our lives] as we computerise more and more of our stuff.

    To tackle both cybercrime and terrorism [as well as all other crime generally] what we need is targeted
    surveillance and old fashioned investigative and community based policing. As well as a focus on security
    and safety instead of mass surveillance.

    In addition, we should focus efforts on making the world safer and fairer by tackling poverty and oppression
    around the world mostly through well targeted humanitarian aid, and through improved education and
    infrastructure. This would be greatly aided by taking effective measures to tackle global warming and
    reduce and end the worlds dependency on oil.
  11. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39949
    16 Nov '15 16:20
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    What should our response be to terrorism?


    Treat it for what it is. A serious crime, and not a world ending existential threat.

    We should stop giving up precious and vital civil liberties, stop pretending that it's possible to
    completely eliminate, and stop treating it as the biggest threat that overrides all other concerns.

    We h ...[text shortened]... g effective measures to tackle global warming and
    reduce and end the worlds dependency on oil.
    No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..

    James Madison, 1795
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    16 Nov '15 16:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    No nation can preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..

    James Madison, 1795
    WE are not in the midst of continual warfare.

    Warfare has been almost completely exported overseas.
  13. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Joined
    13 Apr '07
    Moves
    12727
    16 Nov '15 17:18
    Our response to terrorism in France and against Russian airlines should be to let France and Russia fight the terrorists, which appears to be about what we're doing.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Joined
    26 Dec '07
    Moves
    17585
    16 Nov '15 18:59
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Our response to terrorism in France and against Russian airlines should be to let France and Russia fight the terrorists, which appears to be about what we're doing.
    I tend to agree, but I just wish our politicians didn't feel the need to one-up each other abut how macho they are in wanting to fight the evildoers.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    13026
    16 Nov '15 19:191 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    What should our response be to terrorism?


    We have bigger problems, such as climate change, which need more urgent action.
    .
    YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS, YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS , YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS. CAN YOU?
Back to Top