Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    13 Nov '16 07:03
    At my parents' home outside of Guerneville. I took a walk into town. Crossing the bridge over the river there was a woman playing the electric guitar with her amp speaker attached to her waste - improving something haunting and beautiful - hard to describe.

Walked through town to Safeway to buy a few items. When I was checking out I looked for small bags and asked if they had them. He said, "Sorry sir, we don't." No problem. A few minutes down the street and I realized, "Oh yeah, we just passed the plastic bag ban." They're probably scrambling to get smaller paper bags.

Further down the street at the Vets Hall there was a party inside and out. Bingo night. I peaked inside and there were some very conservative looking older women in blue sweaters and whatnot sitting with cross-dressers of every size and shape and all of them laughing and having a great time.

And then I got home and reviewed the California ballot proposition results - a few disappointments but pretty good as far as progressives are concerned. Consider Prop 58. Bilingual education approved by every single county - even the Trump counties. Fewer than 20 years ago the majority of voters had turned on Latinos effectively eliminating bilingual education at the time.

Once organic connections are made between people it's pretty hard to put it all back into the box.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Nov '16 07:331 edit
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Fewer than 20 years ago the majority of voters had turned on Latinos effectively eliminating bilingual education at the time.

Once organic connections are made between people it's pretty hard to put it all back into the box.
    Have you considered the possibility that the majority of voters are now Latino?

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-census-latinos-20150708-story.html
  3. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    13 Nov '16 07:44
    Originally posted by twhitehead

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-census-latinos-20150708-story.html
    Yeah, but not in all of the rural counties.
  4. Zugzwang
    Moves
    13 Nov '16 20:23
    Originally posted by twhitehead to Kunsoo

Since around 2014, California has a plurality, not a majority, of Latinos as residents, not necessarily as voters.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Nov '16 20:59
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    One think I really like about Cape Town is the diversity of people. There are still areas that are predominantly one shade of skin colour, but they are slowly mixing.