Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 03 Nov '17 03:37
    YouTube : antifa

    The NYT calls for violent revolution? Is that even legal?
  2. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    03 Nov '17 10:43
    Originally posted by @whodey
    [youtubeantifa]Z-2fU8agf5g[/youtube]

    The NYT calls for violent revolution? Is that even legal?
    Let me guess.

    You toss one off to this kind of stuff, don't you?
  3. 03 Nov '17 10:51
    Originally posted by @whodey
    [youtubeantifa]Z-2fU8agf5g[/youtube]

    The NYT calls for violent revolution? Is that even legal?
    and that is supposed to happen on november fourrth?
  4. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    03 Nov '17 11:21
    Originally posted by @whodey
    [youtubeantifa]Z-2fU8agf5g[/youtube]

    The NYT calls for violent revolution? Is that even legal?
    http://www.historytoday.com/ajp-taylor/who-burnt-reichstag-story-legend

    I know. Godwin's Law. Let's ignore history.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    03 Nov '17 12:29
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    http://www.historytoday.com/ajp-taylor/who-burnt-reichstag-story-legend

    I know. Godwin's Law. Let's ignore history.
    Godwin's Law is not about ignoring history. It's about refraining from comparing every minor incident of bad conduct you come across to the worst evil in the history of the world.
  6. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    03 Nov '17 12:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Godwin's Law is not about ignoring history. It's about refraining from comparing every minor incident of bad conduct you come across to the worst evil in the history of the world.
    Quite so. Tell Wajoma.

    In itself of course, the Reichstag fire was not the worst evil in history - just a step on the road. Like Trump is not the worst - but quite a significant step on the road.
  7. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    03 Nov '17 12:39 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    Quite so. Tell Wajoma.

    In itself of course, the Reichstag fire was not the worst evil in history - just a step on the road. Like Trump is not the worst - but quite a significant step on the road.
    No, he's really not.

    Is he incompetent? Sure. Does he suffer from narcissistic personality disorder? Probably. Is he a racist? Probably. Is he a bad guy? I'll give you that.

    But is he comparable in any way to Hitler? Not even close. Is he a "step in the road"? Maybe if the road is 3,000 miles long and his step is 12 inches.

    Anyway, of what possible significance is the ad in the times from Antifa as compared to the Reichstag fire?
  8. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    03 Nov '17 12:45
    Originally posted by @sh76
    No, he's really not.

    Is he incompetent? Sure. Does he suffer from narcissistic personality disorder? Probably. Is he a racist? Probably. Is he a bad guy? I'll give you that.

    But is he comparable in any way to Hitler? Not even close. Is he a "step in the road"? Maybe if the road is 3,000 miles long and his step is 12 inches.

    Anyway, of what possible significance is the ad in the times from Antifa as compared to the Reichstag fire?
    The comparison is in the inflation of trivial threats into provocations that justify repression.

    I agree a lot depends on accepting the inflated language of the link provided.

    I think the USA is a lot further down the fascist road than you do. I am not unusual in this respect.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    03 Nov '17 13:06
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    The comparison is in the inflation of trivial threats into provocations that justify repression.

    I agree a lot depends on accepting the inflated language of the link provided.

    I think the USA is a lot further down the fascist road than you do. I am not unusual in this respect.
    Aside from whodey, just who is inflating the "threats" posed by Antifa?
  10. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    03 Nov '17 13:14
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Aside from whodey, just who is inflating the "threats" posed by Antifa?
    The video provided by whodey was inflating the threats, or if not inflating them then 4th November will be pretty interesting.

    Routine use of propoganda to generate and maintain high levels of fear is standard practice in authoritarian regimes.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    03 Nov '17 14:03
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    The video provided by whodey was inflating the threats, or if not inflating them then 4th November will be pretty interesting.

    Routine use of propoganda to generate and maintain high levels of fear is standard practice in authoritarian regimes.
    The video is by a pro-Trump news outlet, not the federal government. Fox of MSNBC or CNN exaggerating the danger of their political opponents is hardly new or newsworthy. It's routine.
  12. 03 Nov '17 14:15
    Originally posted by @sh76
    The video is by a pro-Trump news outlet, not the federal government. Fox of MSNBC or CNN exaggerating the danger of their political opponents is hardly new or newsworthy. It's routine.
    When you hear the word "revolution", what does that bring to mind?

    A Bernie Sanders supporter heard the term from him more than once, so he decided to try and assassinate the entire GOP Congress.
  13. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    03 Nov '17 15:28
    Originally posted by @sh76
    Godwin's Law is not about ignoring history. It's about refraining from comparing every minor incident of bad conduct you come across to the worst evil in the history of the world.
    Godwin can suck the peanuts out my anus.
  14. 03 Nov '17 15:33
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Godwin can suck the peanuts out my anus.
    Oh dear, more sexual harassment from the left.

    Will it ever end?
  15. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    03 Nov '17 17:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    When you hear the word "revolution", what does that bring to mind?

    A Bernie Sanders supporter heard the term from him more than once, so he decided to try and assassinate the entire GOP Congress.
    No1Marauder is the armed revolutionary on this forum.

    How did the Bernie Sanders supporter get on with that fiendish plot?