Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    16 Dec '17 15:11 / 1 edit
    Hello Everyone - As I read these posts from Conservatives and Liberals flailing away at each other with their well rehearsed sound bites and slogans,might I suggest something rather important: How you manage yourself and your time is more important than politics. It's easy and fun to blame our lawmakers for our problems, but the fact is 90% of our problems can be traced back to ourselves, cases in point: Do you make smart food choices, or eat over processed junk foods? Do you exercise daily, or do you put it off? Do you save at least 10% of your pay and build your nest egg, or do you splurge on "must have" emotion driven items you don't really need? Do you have written financial goals you review and work towards, or do you just drift along? Do you manage your time well, or do you come home from work, flop in front of the TV until it's time to go to bed? As a small business owner, I struggle with these things too, and after 60+ years on this planet, I've come to the conclusion that we are our own driving force, and we are our own brake.
  2. 16 Dec '17 17:17
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Hello Everyone - As I read these posts from Conservatives and Liberals flailing away at each other with their well rehearsed sound bites and slogans,might I suggest something rather important: How you manage yourself and your time is more important than politics. It's easy and fun to blame our lawmakers for our problems, but the fact is 90% of our problems c ...[text shortened]... planet, I've come to the conclusion that we are our own driving force, and we are our own brake.
    I am 62 years old, retired after 40 years, own my home and property, eat responsibly and regularly workout at local gym. I am 6'4" and 230 lbs. Don't smoke, drink or do drugs.
  3. 16 Dec '17 18:28
    From my experience much of how we act has to do with what we do.

Does your job wipe you out physically or emotionally? Do you make enough money or do you have to eat cheap crap food to survive? Does your family support you or use you?

I find it much easier to work out when I am not spending all my time trying to make ends meet.
  4. 16 Dec '17 19:43 / 1 edit
    Hello Everyone - As I read these posts from Conservatives and Liberals flailing away at each other with their well rehearsed sound bites and slogans,might I suggest something rather important: How you manage yourself and your time is more important than politics. It's easy and fun to blame our lawmakers for our problems, but the fact is 90% of our problems c ...[text shortened]... planet, I've come to the conclusion that we are our own driving force, and we are our own brake.
    I'm 19.

As for lifestyle, I am at uni and I don't allocate nearly as much to work/studying as many of many friends. I much prefer a rocky beach or hiking the numerous mountains and forests around Cape Town. If there is work, I prefer to bang it all out in one sitting and I hardly ever stress over it. Stress never helps. It's just work, it won't kill you.

Not stressing is a lot to do with whether you treat your body correctly. I am a complete and total health NUT. Everyone around me is so annoyed by how puritanical I am about what I eat and that I preach to people about it. Sugar, dairy and preservatives ruin your life and make you emotional and unable to deal with simple issues. You better believe it!
    Exercise is very important. Exercise in nature is perhaps the most invigorating thing. Greenery and wildlife is soul-cleansing.

Financially, I don't have student loans (thanks a million, papa!) so I have that stressor removed. I make a pittance working as a stats tutor for the university. I'm quite generous and therefore bad at saving money. My taste for the finer things (like macallan 18 sherry oak) means I better get a good qualification. I will be responsible with money when it is required, however.

You shape your own destiny. Those who have the qualities to be a success will be a success, regardless of circumstances. Wallowing in self-pity and a victimhood complex strangles us with the mantle of mediocrity. Nothing is for free and nothing worth having comes easy.
  5. 16 Dec '17 19:47
    Also, politics is unhealthy. It is dirty and you have to emotionally detach from it if you don't want to live in a state of permanent fury. I'm getting better at this.
  6. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    16 Dec '17 20:07 / 1 edit
    I’m in my forties...
    I use more drugs than the average touring funk band and I drink more booze than the states of Alabama and Kansas combined.

The only sporting activity I participate in is eating, with multiple breaks a day while I’m shagging my brains out.

In my view only slaves and horses work. Anybody actively participating in capitalist society is FFing the world, and condemning our children to a dystopic future.

Politics, to me, is a comedy.
    And everyone who votes is a turkey, just waiting for Xmas.
  7. 16 Dec '17 21:28
    Your OP reminds me of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/true-north/2017/jul/17/neoliberalism-has-conned-us-into-fighting-climate-change-as-individuals

"While we busy ourselves greening our personal lives, fossil fuel corporations are rendering these efforts irrelevant. The breakdown of carbon emissions since 1988? A hundred companies alone are responsible for an astonishing 71%. You tinker with those pens or that panel; they go on torching the planet."

Frankly, the overarching problems that confront us these days are collective ones. It's not going to matter whether you personally manage your work, health, diet and finances well when the cities we live in could be underwater in by the time your grandchildren are your age.

I'd also suggest that your phrasing poses as neutral while actually betraying a conservative bias: "As I read these posts from Conservatives and Liberals [...] with their well rehearsed sound bites and slogans,might I suggest [that] how you manage yourself and your time is more important than politics." But the last clause is, essentially, a statement of a conservative position. Appeals to individual responsibility are fundamentally conservative, because they deny the need for social change.
  8. 16 Dec '17 21:40
    Originally posted by @teinosuke to Mchill

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/true-north/2017/jul/17/neoliberalism-has-conned-us-into-fighting-climate-change-as-individuals

"While we busy ourselves greening our personal lives, fossil fuel corporations are rendering these efforts irrelevant. The breakdown of carbon emissions since 1988? A hundred com ...[text shortened]... ual responsibility are fundamentally conservative, because they deny the need for social change.
    "I'd also suggest that your phrasing poses as neutral while actually betraying a conservative bias."
    --Teinosuke (to Mchill)

Mchill has claimed to be a 'left-leaning independent' in US politics.
    I have cited ample evidence to point out the absurdity, dishonesty, or self-delusion of his claim.
    In fact, during the 2016 campaign and into early 2017, Mchill expressed his sympathy
    for Donald Trump in some ways and even suggested that Americans give President Trump
    'a year' (presumably without criticism) to implement his vision to make the USA great again.

Mchill (one of my trolls) has responded by hurling diversionary insults and lies in many threads.
  9. 16 Dec '17 22:00
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    "I'd also suggest that your phrasing poses as neutral while actually betraying a conservative bias."
    --Teinosuke (to Mchill)

Mchill has claimed to be a 'left-leaning independent' in US politics.
    I have cited ample evidence to point out the absurdity, dishonesty, or self-delusion of his claim.
    In fact, during the 2016 campaign and into early 2017, M ...[text shortened]... chill (one of my trolls) has responded by hurling diversionary insults and lies in many threads.
    wheewww...took this thread right off the tracks
  10. 16 Dec '17 22:14 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    wheewww...took this thread right off the tracks
    --Teinosuke (to Mchill)

Teinosuke pointed out Mchill's 'conservative bias', and I concur with Teinosuke, while
    adding some evidence that may be less known to him. Am I not allowed to write that?

"I have the utmost respect for women."
    --Mott-the-Hoopie (to Duchess64, 15 December 2017, 'Harvey Weinstein saga' )

"If I had to guess you are probably about 300 lbs ugly and couldn't get laid if you tried."
  11. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    17 Dec '17 01:13
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    --Teinosuke (to Mchill)

Teinosuke pointed out Mchill's 'conservative bias', and I concur with Teinosuke, while
    adding some evidence that may be less known to him. Am I not allowed to write that?

"I have the utmost respect for women."
    --Mott-the- ...[text shortened]... id if you tried."
    Ah, yes. The Conservatives think I'm too Liberal, the Liberals think I'm too Conservative, and Duchess knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that I AM the enemy!

Situation: NORMAL
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Dec '17 02:42
    FWIW, I agree with you completely.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Dec '17 02:46
    Originally posted by @teinosuke

"While we busy ourselves greening our personal lives, fossil fuel corporations are rendering these efforts irrelevant. The breakdown of carbon emissions since 1988? A hundred companies alo ...[text shortened]... ual responsibility are fundamentally conservative, because they deny the need for social change.
    Agreed, on issues that are collective, such as climate change. Government has to lead in solving those problems.

But in terms of individual happiness and success, that's mostly a combination of family structure, hard work, smart choices, talent and luck, none of which the government can do all that much about.
  14. 17 Dec '17 02:46
    Ah, yes. The Conservatives think I'm too Liberal, the Liberals think I'm too Conservative, and Duchess knows beyond a shadow of a doubt that I AM the enemy!

Situation: NORMAL
    Just say you hate Trump and everything will work out for ya.
  15. 17 Dec '17 03:01
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Just say you hate Trump and everything will work out for ya.
    Dang nabbit, when did it stop being Bushes fault?