Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Zugzwang
    Moves
    04 Sep '18 18:591 edit
    Many, perhaps most, white Americans seem afraid, if not terrified, of
    non-Hispanic white people becoming a minority (as projected) in the USA.
    Some Canadian cities' experiences show that these fears seem much exaggerated.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/sep/04/canadian-cities-where-minorities-are-the-majority-markham-brampton

"'Everybody fits in': inside the Canadian cities where minorities are the majority"

"With a population of 330,000, Markham is one of a handful of “majority-minority” cities,
    where visible minorities – the official term used in Canada for anyone
    who is not white or indigenous – make up 78% of the city’s population,
    according to the 2016 census. ... Today, just 22% of the city’s residents are
    of European origin; 46% are Chinese, 18% are south Asian and the rest
    are from a variety of other backgrounds such as Iranian, Italian and Filipino."

"Markham has nevertheless come a long way since 1995, when the then
    deputy mayor, Carole Bell, expressed hostility towards Chinese malls,
    claiming they were driving people out of the city and that residents did
    not want “signage in a language we can’t read”. Not only does that
    signage remain, the city’s official website now translates its content into
    more than 80 languages, using a Google widget."

"There remains ongoing debate, however, on how much cultural change
    can be adopted into mainstream society, and how quickly. For instance,
    statutory holidays, which are mostly aligned with Christian holidays, are
    days off for workers in Canada. But in 2011, some Chinese grocers in
    Markham (including the Foody Mart) stayed open in defiance of the law.
    City councillor Joe Li heard both sides of the debate: that grocers were
    being discriminated against for not being able to stay open, and that
    Chinese businesses were trying to impose their culture on the city.
    Ultimately, Li decided in favour of the grocers, arguing that consumers
    should have the option to shop on holidays. The move proved so popular
    that York Region, in which Markham sits, voted that from 2018 any business
    could stay open 364 days a year."

"Brampton is another majority-minority suburb, west of Toronto.
    The city’s population – now more than half a million – exploded in a
    similar fashion to Markham’s. It is now 73% visible minority, with its largest
    ethnic group Indian, particularly Sikhs from Punjab, earning the city the
    nicknames “Bramladesh” and “Browntown”. There are also significant
    populations from the Philippines, Sri Lanka and the Caribbean."

"But Brampton has only one non-white city councillor, Gurpreet Dhillon, who is Punjabi.
    In the last municipal election, Bromley [a white woman] recalls watching
    a Punjabi candidate on television arguing that the mayoral office should
    reflect Brampton’s ethnic makeup. “I had a moment where I felt, ‘Now I’m
    really going to be a minority,’” she says. “To be brutally honest, it felt like
    I was being pushed out.” The moment passed."
  2. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 06:172 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2018/sep/04/canadian-cities-where-minorities-are-the-majority-markham-brampton

"'Everybody f ...[text shortened]... ’” she says. “To be brutally honest, it felt like
    Many, perhaps most, white Americans seem afraid, if not terrified, of non-Hispanic white people becoming a minority.

Duchess - I very much doubt you know what over 200 million white people in America are afraid of, if not terrified of. I know you're favorably impressed with your own intellect, but no one is that smart. 😴
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 15:42

"'Everybody f ...[text shortened]... ’” she says. “To be brutally honest, it felt like
    Uh, I live near these towns and I can tell you first hand that they are increasingly becoming isolationist, completely cutting themselves off from the rest of Ontario. They are basically mini countries where they live by their own cultural standards and language.

This is not integration and is a bad example for you to use.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 16:072 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Many, perhaps most, white Americans seem afraid, if not terrified, of non-Hispanic white people becoming a minority.

Duchess - I very much doubt you know what over 200 million white people in America are afraid of, if not terrified of. I know you're favorably impressed with your own intellect, but no one is that smart. 😴
    Sometimes I wonder what would happen to the white man if the American Indians took back their land.

Immigration is a little bit of a dicey issue, isn't it.

Shrug, people have the natural tendency to divide and conquer, and race is but one tool for such division.
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 19:16

damn!!! you are consumed by racism! what are you a fat bald gay black midget or something?
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 20:061 edit
    Originally posted by @mchill

The racist troll Mchlll loves to keep reciting the absurd claim or implication that it's impossible
    to know anything about white Americans' racist attitudes unless one knows them all personally.

Of course, Mchill ignores the evidence of scientific surveys of white Americans in addition
    to the overwhelming evidence that many white Americans fiercely object to non-white immigration
    because it would accelerate the process of white people becoming a minority in the USA.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    05 Sep '18 20:11
    Originally posted by @uzless
    Uh, I live near these towns and I can tell you first hand that they are increasingly becoming isolationist, completely cutting themselves off from the rest of Ontario. They are basically mini countries where they live by their own cultural standards and language.

This is not integration and is a bad example for you to use.
    Uzless apparently ignores the statistical evidence of diversity in these communities.
    The article acknowledges the existence of 'white flight' (which may appeal to Uzless).

Why should there be anything wrong with some Canadian communities having an ethnic
    Chinese or Indian plurality when Canada has long accepted all-white Francophone communities,
    where an Anglophone visitor would feel isolated?
  8. Seongnam, S. Korea
    Moves
    06 Sep '18 07:34
    Uzless brings up an interesting point. Not sure if it si true, though, but it certainly has to be addressed.

I believe this is precisely the relationship that China had had with locals in places like Malaysia & Indonesia: they create their China towns, they make their money, and they speak their own language, relatively isolated from everyone else.

Our Republic of Korea actually developed a series of laws back at its inception that attemptd to address this phenomena by making it only so that native scould actually [I]own[/I] real estate. Of course, this now applies to any one who has permanent residency or citizenship, but the process of getting this requires either a very direct, hard to remove investment in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, or it requires passing a series of tests that people would find difficult, time consuming, and challenging.

Generally speaking... Asia has recognized the challenge of integrating people and wants nothing to do with these multicultural experiences.

While these places may be very safe and may be profitable, it's what we can refer to as a parallel society.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    06 Sep '18 20:071 edit
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    Uzless brings up an interesting point. Not sure if it si true, though, but it certainly has to be addressed.

I believe this is precisely the relationship that China had had with locals in places like Malaysia & Indonesia: they create their China towns, they make their money, and they speak their own language, relatively isolated from everyone else.
    ...[text shortened]... places may be very safe and may be profitable, it's what we can refer to as a parallel society.
    Uzless's 'point' seems to be that insecure white people are afraid of white people becoming a minority anywhere.
    Hence, the dreaded 'white flight'. That 'point' is hardly original.

By the way, in Canada, there long have been 'parallel societies' between Canadians who
    speak only English and those who speak only French (many of whom may wish to separate).
    White Canadians are less homogenous than the white nationalist Philokalia may like to believe.

Philokalia should stop spewing blatant falsehoods about Indonesia and Malaysia.
    The racist troll Philokalia may hope that other white people here are so abysmally ignorant of
    realities in Asia that they will swallow the nonsense of the white 'Asia expert' Philokalia.
  10. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    07 Sep '18 22:071 edit
    Uzless's 'point' seems to be that insecure white people are afraid of white people becoming a minority anywhere.
    Hence, the dreaded 'white flight'. That 'point' is hardly original.

By the way, in Canada, there long have been 'parallel societies' between Canadians who
    speak only English and those who speak only French (many of whom may wish to separa ...[text shortened]... of
    realities in Asia that they will swallow the nonsense of the white 'Asia expert' Philokalia.
    "The racist troll Philokalia may hope that other white people here are so abysmally ignorant of realities in Asia that they will swallow the nonsense of the white 'Asia expert' Philokalia."

OR:

The racist troll Duchess64 may hope that other minorities here are so abysmally ignorant of realities in America that they will swallow the nonsense of the minority "America expert", Duchess64.

She's so full of shyt, it's coming out of her ears. A complete fraud.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    07 Sep '18 22:263 edits
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    "The racist troll Philokalia may hope that other white people here are so abysmally ignorant of realities in Asia that they will swallow the nonsense of the white 'Asia expert' Philokalia."

OR:

The racist troll Duchess64 may hope that other minorities here are so abysmally ignorant of realities in America that they will swallow the nonsense of the min ...[text shortened]... ica expert", Duchess64.

She's so full of shyt, it's coming out of her ears. A complete fraud.
    The racist troll Wolfe63, a jingoistic white American, loves to believe and spew absurd propaganda.

Wolfe63 apparently implied that the Philippines's economy was devastated after it expelled
    US military bases because American military men no longer support the sex industry there.
    So Wolfe63 apparently believes that the Philippines's government made a terrible blunder.
    On the contrary, the Philippines has prospered in the absence of US military bases and
    their parasitic industries satisfying the baser needs (sex, drink, drugs) of American men.
  12. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    07 Sep '18 22:55
    The racist troll Wolfe63, a jingoistic white American, loves to believe and spew absurd propaganda.

Wolfe63 apparently implied that the Philippines's economy was devastated after it expelled
    US military bases because American military men no longer support the sex industry there.
    So Wolfe63 apparently believes that the Philippines's government made a ...[text shortened]... and
    their parasitic industries satisfying the baser needs (sex, drink, drugs) of American men.
    I said no such things. I never implied such things. I never even nudged a nuanced hint toward such things.

Poor hungry girl. Your warped fascination with white American men and their sex lives is showing.
  13. Zugzwang
    Moves
    07 Sep '18 23:196 edits
    I said no such things. I never implied such things. I never even nudged a nuanced hint toward such things.

Poor hungry girl. Your warped fascination with white American men and their sex lives is showing.
    The lying troll Wolfe63 keeps shamelessly lying.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/how-did-john-mccain-make-america-better.178238/page-3#post_3935416

In an earlier post, Wolfe63 claimed to have served in the US Air Force.

"I loved Clark [Air Force Base in the Philippines]. It was some real sweet TDY.
    Too bad that Pinatubo put an end to it all. I wonder what Angeles City is like now.
    Certainly, nothing like the raucous place it once was."
    --Wolfe63 (29 August 2018, page 3, post 7, "How did John McCain make America better?" )

Wolfe63 waxes nostalgic on the pleasures of being an American military man in the Philippines.
    Would anyone be gullible enough to believe that all these pleasures were as innocent as playing chess?

"It was some real sweet TDY."
    --Wolfe63 (fondly describing his experiences in the Philippines)

What does 'TDY' mean? There's more than one meaning in US military slang.
    1) Temporary duty yonder (meaning being based outside the USA)
    2) Temporarily divorced for a year (meaning that an American military man can consider
    himself practically single and free to indulge in sex with women (not his wife) overseas.)

"Too bad that Pinatubo put an end to it all."
    --Wolfe63

Wolfe63 laments the closure of Clark Air Force Base in 1991, the same year the Mount Pinatubo erupted.

"I wonder what Angeles City is like now. Certainly, nothing like the raucous place it once was."
    --Wolfe63

Is anyone gullible enough to believe that when American military men behave "raucously"
    (to quote witness Wolfe63), their behavior never involves drinking, drugs, or prostitutes?

https://www.manilatimes.net/us-military-bases-disguised-as-philippine-bases-are-here-again/394051/

"US military bases disguised as Philippine bases are here again"
    --Fr. Shay Cullen, SSC (22 April 2018)

"So 25 years after the US bases were closed down and the facilities were converted to
    civilian commercial use and Clark and Subic Naval Base became boom cities boasting
    hundreds of factories, hotels and malls, the bases are back. They are hiding behind a
    fig leaf claiming that they are not US bases but within Philippine military bases. It’s just a charade.
    The US troops stationed there will be likely out and about looking for recreational
    entertainment with sex and will join the already thriving mob of sex tourists that are
    abusing our young women and children with impunity.

The fact that the sex industry, with its sex bars and clubs that are fronts for prostitution of
    women and children, is licensed and given mayors’ permits shows local government complicity.
    The US bases to be reestablished are complicit, not only in violating the spirit of the Constitution,
    but also violating our women and children that are victims of human trafficking – yet again."

Fr. Shay Cullen believes that the Philippines was better off without (official or unofficial) US military bases.
    The Filipino people not need depend upon catering to the basest desires of American military men.
    The proud American Wolfe63 (perhaps nostalgic for the pleasures of young Filipinas in
    the sex industry around US military bases) apparently disagrees with Fr. Shay Cullen.
  14. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 00:01
    The lying troll Wolfe63 keeps shamelessly lying.

https://www.redhotpawn.com/forum/debates/how-did-john-mccain-make-america-better.178238/page-3#post_3935416

In an earlier post, Wolfe63 has claimed to have served in the US Air Force.

"I loved Clark [Air Force Base in the Philippines]. It was some real sweet TDY.
    Too bad that Pinatubo put an end t ...[text shortened]... rhaps nostalgic for the pleasures of young Filipinas) apparently disagrees with Fr. Shay Cullen.
    All imaginative suppositions from an unqualified though self-anointed "America expert".

Let's help the poor and fetching little girl out a bit...shall we?
    Context is everything.

TDY = Temporary Duty

Raucous = There were, indeed, a few off-duty drunken brawls and barfights...but we were way too busy doing hard work on the base during most of our tour. Did some of the younger guys indulge? Of course they did. But...I did not.

So shove your despicable presumptions up your gawd damned azz Duchess64!

You haven't a clue regarding anything about me. All that you know is that I'm a white American male.
    And that racist hamster in your brain, spins the wheel overtime...trying to get me to fit into your twisted stereotype.

You're bloody fvcking wrong. So piss off...loser.
  15. Zugzwang
    Moves
    08 Sep '18 00:177 edits
    All imaginative suppositions from an unqualified though self-anointed "America expert".

Let's help the poor and fetching little girl out a bit...shall we?
    Context is everything.

TDY = Temporary Duty

Raucous = There were, indeed, a few off-duty drunken brawls and barfights...but we were way too busy doing hard work on the base during most of our ...[text shortened]... get me to fit into your twisted stereotype.

You're bloody fvcking wrong. So piss off...loser.
    First of all, the troll Wolfe63 was extremely dishonest in implicitly denying the existence of his post that I cited.
    And the troll Wolfe63's extremely dishonest about the complete meanings of his term of choice 'TDY'.

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/TDY
    "Temporary Duty (US military)
    Temporary Duty Yonder (military slang)
    Temporarily Divorced for a Year (service member slang)"

What does "Temporarily Divorced for a Year" mean?
    Obviously, for a military man it means having the freedom to pursue women or girls
    without having to worry about being unfaithful to a wife.

My point is NOT that I can know (and his denial's uncorroborated too) Wolfe63 chased desperate
    young Filipinas in the thriving sex industry around US military bases in the Philippines.
    My point is that many American military men did so, and Wolfe63 apparently believes that
    the Philippines and the Filipinas were better off when the Americans were enjoying f*** them.
    It's common for white American men to reduce East Asian women to a submissive sex object stereotype.

I already have cited ample evidence of the troll Wolfe63 being a shameless pathological liar and a racist.
    Now more evidence seems to be emerging of Wolfe63's sexism too.