Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 12 Feb '17 17:36
    Ywo things can happen, depending greatly on how many you let in.

Let in a very few and the immigrants are forced to join your culture. The only commuity they have is the community of the indigenous people.

Let in large numbers, large enough to create large pockets of immigrants and you have added a new culture to your culture.

Assuming we let in large numbers of immigrants, is it not wise to ask if we want our culture to be more like theirs?

If not, is it not wise to keep those immigrants out?

Should we consider importance of education within the society? People bring with them their culture's values. Value of education is one of those values.

Should we consider women's rights within cultures? Those cultural beliefs do not change if people cling to their culture.
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    12 Feb '17 18:40
    You need to learn what 'indigenous' means.
  3. 12 Feb '17 18:49
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You need to learn what 'indigenous' means.
    Ok, then what would you call the population of the country before immigration influx.

I would argue that indigenous is a relative term.
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    12 Feb '17 18:59 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Ok, then what would you call the population of the country before immigration influx.

I would argue that indigenous is a relative term.
    Native.

Indigenous is based on the root 'gen' which means 'created'.

Anglo Saxon culture was not created in North America.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativism_(politics)
  5. 12 Feb '17 19:16
    Native.

Indigenous is based on the root 'gen' which means 'created'.

Anglo Saxon culture was not created in North America.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativism_(politics)
    Who are people who are original to the Americas?
  6. 12 Feb '17 19:19
    If not, is it not wise to keep those immigrants out?
    If you are a xenophobe, scared of other cultures, sure.

I live in a multicultural society and don't mind adding a few more to the mix.
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    12 Feb '17 19:27
    Who are people who are original to the Americas?
    Mexicans, Sioux, Osage etc.
  8. 12 Feb '17 19:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If you are a xenophobe, scared of other cultures, sure.

I live in a multicultural society and don't mind adding a few more to the mix.
    Are you fine with allowing honor killing and domestic violence being practiced in your culture?
  9. 12 Feb '17 19:31
    Mexicans, Sioux, Osage etc.
    No, they were just here when the Whites arrived. Even those people had ancestors who moved into the region.
  10. 12 Feb '17 19:36
    Are you fine with allowing honor killing and domestic violence being practiced in your culture?
    You are confusing culture with society.
    No, I am not 'fine' with honour killing or domestic violence in any society whatsoever.
  11. 12 Feb '17 19:46
    You are confusing culture with society.
    No, I am not 'fine' with honour killing or domestic violence in any society whatsoever.
    When you bring in large numbers of Muslims from places like Syria you will end up introducing it into your culture.

It is part of their culture.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    12 Feb '17 19:53 / 3 edits
    No, they were just here when the Whites arrived. Even those people had ancestors who moved into the region.
    You were talking about cultures not individuals. Those tribes were the first people in the Americas. When they got here there was no culture for them to assimilate into.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas
  13. 12 Feb '17 20:20
    When you bring in large numbers of Muslims from places like Syria you will end up introducing it into your culture.

It is part of their culture.
    No, I will not 'end up introducing it into my culture'. You are mistaken.
    I already live amongst Muslims and I haven't absorbed their culture, nor do they practice honour killing and if they did they would be arrested as it is illegal.

If every Syrian (all 22 million of them) moved to South Africa, they would still be in the minority. I doubt they would be able to enact laws that would make honour killing legal.
  14. 12 Feb '17 20:22
    No, I will not 'end up introducing it into my culture'. You are mistaken.
    I already live amongst Muslims and I haven't absorbed their culture, nor do they practice honour killing and if they did they would be arrested as it is illegal.

If every Syrian (all 22 million of them) moved to South Africa, they would still be in the minority. I doubt they would be able to enact laws that would make honour killing legal.
    Not all Muslims practice honor killings and such. But it you introduce large numbers of Muslims from areas that do, then you will.
  15. 12 Feb '17 20:37
    You were talking about cultures not individuals. Those tribes were the first people in the Americas. When they got here there was no culture for them to assimilate into.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_peoples_of_the_Americas
    There were still not original to the region.

No one is original to the region. Every region is populated by people whose ancestors took over the region. Walking into areas that are unpopulated and taking populated regions by force are not different. The result is the same.

The only question is what happens when new cultures are added to the one in place. Either the new people will conform to the culture in place or the culture in place will be changed or replaced by the new culture.