Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 10:533 edits
    So, I did this interesting test to see where I lie on the political spectrum, and I thought it was pretty accurate. You answer questions and it outputs coordinates showing you where you fit in. For x values, 10 is the most right-wing and -10 is the most left wing. For y values, 10 is the most authoritarian and -10 is the most libertarian. I thought that if many of us completed it we could make a graph of some sorts that plots of all us. We could find the mean coordinates, standard deviation, etc. It would be quite fun.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

For the record, my coordinates are (4, 1), which is 4/10 in favour of the right as opposed to left, and 1/10 in favour of authoritarian as opposed to libertarian.

Edit: the site has a function to piece together a graph using multiple results. That's quite handy. If you feel like participating, write your coordinates and I'll add you to the graph.
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 13:09
    i hardly need to test where I am on a political scale.

I’m the most left-wing morally / economically / child rearing on this site.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 13:19
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

I don't know, I think I am right beside you. I SPIT and PUKE on the legacy of Donald Trump.
  4. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 13:50
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I don't know, I think I am right beside you. I SPIT and PUKE on the legacy of Donald Trump.
    Yeah, but I don’t recognise Stalin or Mao as communists and Bernie Sanders, to me, is right-wing.
  5. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 14:00
    Thtis has taken a childish-wine induced turn... sorry about that.

I’m sure you all strife to be as rational as I.

🙂

Oh GOD NO... I’m using a smiley... there’s no end to the drunken rant today.
  6. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 14:18
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

Question is, are you authoritarian left or libertarian left?
  7. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 14:231 edit
    I can go along with that, however "The Donald" has one small virtue IMHO. His toxic way of operating has caused me to shut off the TV almost entirely and refocus my leisure time on chess. The timeless dignity of the 64 squares has made me happier, and far less likely to throw something at the screen with moving pictures. 🙂
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 18:56
    Good gracious, can we have a single thread that is not sabotaged by yet more anti-Trump ranting? We have endured possibly thousands of threads about him now, so can we please talk about something else (especially in threads that are NOT about Donald Trump)? I made up my mind on Donald Trump sometime in 2015 and now I'm sick and tired of hearing about it. There is nothing of value in reiterating for the billionth time that you hate Donald Trump. Please participate in the thread I made (which was trying to have a bit of fun) or write in some other thread.
  9. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 18:582 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse to Shavixmir
    Sonhouse's obsessive hatred of Donald Trump personally is not necessarily relevant to his other opinions.

Israel's Prime Minister Netanyahu is one of President Trump's closest allies and greatest admirers.
    (Sonhouse might profess personal dislike for Netanyahu while still approving of his policies.)
    Many in the Likud Party and other right-wing Israeli Jews support the 'Jordan option'.
    Likewise, Sonhouse evidently supports that right-wing Israeli position, 'solving the Palestinian
    prpblem' by 'transferring' the Palestinians from the West Bank into a foreign country, Jordan.
    Like many right-wing Israelis Jews, Sonhouse prefers to hold Jordan, not Israel, responsible
    for 'compensating' the Palestinians on account of their dispossession by Israel.

https://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Comment-The-downfall-of-the-Jordanian-option-506954

"Comment: The downfall of the 'Jordanian option'
    How one politician's ambitions have worked against what many right-wing Israelis
    see as a viable future solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict."

Sonhouse's proud claim for the 'fairness' of the 'Jordan option' is that the Palestinians
    (including his past supposed 'friends' ) should leave 'voluntarily', happily turning over
    their West Bank homes and lands to Jewish settlers and embracing new lives as refugees
    starting from scratch in Jordan. Sonhouse apparently approves of 'voluntary' 'ethnic cleansing'.
    Given his position, Sonhouse could consider a career as a right-wing politician in Israel.
  10. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 19:02
    Originally posted by @mchill
    I can go along with that, however "The Donald" has one small virtue IMHO. His toxic way of operating has caused me to shut off the TV almost entirely and refocus my leisure time on chess. The timeless dignity of the 64 squares has made me happier, and far less likely to throw something at the screen with moving pictures. 🙂
    Just ONE thread. That's all I'm asking.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 19:06
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka to Sonhouse
    Good gracious, can we have a single thread that is not sabotaged by yet more anti-Trump ranting? We have endured possibly thousands of threads about him now, so can we please talk about something else (especially in threads that are NOT about Donald Trump)? I made up my mind on Donald Trump sometime in 2015 and now I'm sick and ...[text shortened]... pate in the thread I made (which was trying to have a bit of fun) or write in some other thread.
    "Good gracious, can we have a single thread that is not sabotaged by yet more anti-Trump ranting?"
    --Ash (to Sonhouse)

Sonhouse has such an obsessive hatred of Donald Trump that he seems incapable of controlling himself.
    Sonhouse has written that he hates Donald Trump more than everyone else in history.
    And once Sonhouse develops an obsession (unable to handle my rejection of his 'friendship'--stalking), he shows it.
  12. Zugzwang
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 19:192 edits
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    So, I did this interesting test to see where I lie on the political spectrum, and I thought it was pretty accurate. You answer questions and it outputs coordinates showing you where you fit in. For x values, 10 is the most right-wing and -10 is the most left wing. For y values, 10 is the most authoritarian and -10 is the most libertarian. I thought that i ...[text shortened]... ite handy. If you feel like participating, write your coordinates and I'll add you to the graph.
    Ash, there already has been at least one thread (before you started writing here) about
    this 'political compass' test.

Today I came out as left / libertarian. -8.88 / -7.18
    On its chart of 27 political figures, that puts me closest to Пётр Алексе́евич Кропо́ткин.
  13. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 19:35
    Good gracious, can we have a single thread that is not sabotaged by yet more anti-Trump ranting? We have endured possibly thousands of threads about him now, so can we please talk about something else (especially in threads that are NOT about Donald Trump)? I made up my mind on Donald Trump sometime in 2015 and now I'm sick and tired of he ...[text shortened]... pate in the thread I made (which was trying to have a bit of fun) or write in some other thread.
    Duchess64 just can't help herself...can she?
    That portion of her brain which should have been apportioned to social and emotional development during infancy, has somehow become stunted. She continually exhibits the manifest deficits expected of one lacking inter-personal development.

I empathize Ashiitaka.

I am -2, 5 on your political vector test.
  14. Stargazing
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 19:371 edit
    So, I did this interesting test to see where I lie on the political spectrum, and I thought it was pretty accurate. You answer questions and it outputs coordinates showing you where you fit in. For x values, 10 is the most right-wing and -10 is the most left wing. For y values, 10 is the most authoritarian and -10 is the most libertarian. I thought that i ...[text shortened]... ite handy. If you feel like participating, write your coordinates and I'll add you to the graph.
    Economic Left/Right: -6.5
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

This is way more bottom left on the quadrant than last time I did this test where I was just about into the right/authoritarian, so more or less centrist. I think this represents a bit of a “mood” thing with me if I’m honest, in that when I get a bit pissed off with society and politics I tend to swing right and when I’m relaxed and more like my calmer self I’m quite liberatian.

I don’t have an issue with this as I take a similar approach at work in my leadership style; I.e. when there is a serious issue to be addressed and it isn’t being addressed after repeated discussion, I tend adopt an authoritarian/JFDI approach. Otherwise I’m much more lead from the back and allow my team to express themselves. It’s not as straightforward as that all the time of course.

Anyway, with topics such as brexit I’m authoritarian in that to me it seems like a JFDI approach is needed; otherwise I am fairly centrist in my attitudes I think. I’m sure many here will disagree, but that’s ok.

Edit; nevertheless my score today is quite extreme for me and possibly representative of a few wines like Shav and the sound of the sea outside 🙂
  15. Stargazing
    Moves
    25 Aug '18 19:41
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    Ash, there already has been at least one thread (before you started writing here) about
    this 'political compass' test.

Today I came out as left / libertarian. -8.88 / -7.18
    On its chart of 27 political figures, that puts me closest to Пётр Алексе́евич Кропо́ткин.
    Bloody hell, I’m nearer you today than I am my usual political bedfellows!