Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 02:02
    Ben Carson who wants to be POTUS and commander in chief, was whining like a little girl at a press conference today
    an absolute embarrassment
    this is the beginning of the end of his bid
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 02:091 edit
    It's been interesting. Politico has gone on a wtich hunt, or should I say lynching, over trying to prove that Ben Carson lied in his book about being offered a scholarship at West Point.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/960/no-ben-carson-didnt-lie-about-west-point-its-ben-shapiro

Never underestimate the capacity of the media to propagandize against Republicans.
    That’s the theme of this morning’s overwrought news coverage on Dr. Ben Carson’s supposed “lie” regarding a “scholarship” to West Point. The story began with Politico, which ran with the audacious headline, “Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship.” Even I was taken in by the headline – after all, that’s a pretty bold claim!
    Politico began thusly:
    Ben Carson’s campaign on Friday admitted, in a response to an inquiry from POLITICO, that a central point in his inspirational personal story was fabricated: his application and acceptance into the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
    The key word here is “fabricated.” Did the Carson campaign admit any such thing? Absolutely not. The facts reported by Politico don’t even support this interpretation of the Carson campaign’s response. According to Politico, Carson said in his 1992 memoir Gifted Hands that he was offered a “full scholarship” to West Point after dining with General William Westmoreland in 1969. Here’s the relevant passage from Carson’s autobiography:
    At the end of my twelfth grade I marched at the head of the Memorial Day parade. I felt so proud, my chest bursting with ribbons and braids of every kind. To make it more wonderful, We had important visitors that day. Two soldiers who had won the Congressional Medal of Honor in Viet Nam were present. More exciting to me, General William Westmoreland (very prominent in the Viet Nam war) attended with an impressive entourage. Afterward, Sgt. Hunt introduced me to General Westmoreland, and I had dinner with him and the Congressional Medal winners. Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point. I didn’t refuse the scholarship outright, but I let them know that a military career wasn’t where I saw myself going.
    That’s the entire relevant portion of Carson’s account. He reiterated that account last month in an interview with Charlie Rose, when he said, “I was offered a full scholarship at West Point, got to meet General Westmoreland and go to Congressional Medal of Honor dinners. But decided really my pathway would be medicine.”
    Politico followed up on this story. They reported one additional piece of information that seems to conflict with Carson’s story: Carson never applied to West Point, and was never extended admission.
    But Carson never said he applied. He said he was extended a full scholarship offer. What’s more, West Point doesn’t offer scholarships: all admission is free contingent on serving in the military afterwards. It thus seems probable that Westmoreland or another military figure tried to recruit Carson, telling him that he wouldn’t have to pay for his education – and that Carson read that as a “full scholarship,” and never applied.
    In fact, that’s exactly what Carson’s campaign manager said to Politico in an email:
    Dr. Carson was the top ROTC student in the City of Detroit. In that role he was invited to meet General Westmoreland. He believes it was at a banquet. He can’t remember with specificity their brief conversation but it centered around Dr. Carson’s performance as ROTC City Executive Officer. He was introduced to folks from West Point by his ROTC Supervisors. They told him they could help him get an appointment based on his grades and performance in ROTC. He considered it but in the end did not seek admission.
    But here’s how Politico editorialized: “When presented with this evidence, Carson’s campaign conceded the story was false.”
    That’s nonsense. They did no such thing. They provided details that corroborated Carson’s story and explained his loose use of the language. If someone told you that you could go to college for free, you might reasonably conclude that you had been offered a full scholarship to attend that university. But Politico would call you a liar if you used such language to describe the exchange.
    Now, some on the right are saying that Carson should be held to a higher standard here than other candidates because he’s running as an “outsider.” But this is a basic case of misinterpreting facts, not an outright lie. Carson served in ROTC. Prominent people wanted him to go to West Point. He wouldn’t have had to pay. He didn’t apply because he didn’t want to go. Those facts are not in dispute. It’s the specific wording over which media have decided to crucify him.
    This is a textbook example of a left-wing media hit. Politico would never editorialize about any Democrat who issued such a response to a factual inquiry in this manner. Politico won’t even conclude that Hillary Clinton lied about her attribution of the Benghazi attacks to a YouTube video despite email evidence that she knew Benghazi was a terrorist attack entirely unrelated to a YouTube video.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 02:09
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    Ben Carson who wants to be POTUS and commander in chief, was whining like a little girl at a press conference today
    That's what happens when you become the Republican front runner. Democratic media tries right away to take you down. We'll see if it works in the long run.
  4. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 02:10
    Originally posted by whodey
    It's been interesting. Politico has gone on a wtich hunt, or should I say lynching, over trying to prove that Ben Carson lied in his book about being offered a scholarship at West Point.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/960/no-ben-carson-didnt-lie-about-west-point-its-ben-shapiro

Never underestimate the capacity of the media to propagandize against Republ ...[text shortened]... il evidence that she knew Benghazi was a terrorist attack entirely unrelated to a YouTube video.
    Politico has shot itself in the foot.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 02:121 edit
    Then Politico changed their story about Carson because it was evident that they lied.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/11/06/politico-edits-ben-carson-hit-piece-drops-claims-of-fabrication/

Politico has rewritten the headline, lede, and several portions of the text of an article accusing Ben Carson of “fabricating” part of his personal biography involving the Military Academy at West Point.

The story, bearing the byline of reporter Kyle Cheney, now omits the original version’s declarations that Carson’s statements were false or fraudulent, as seen in an archive of the article.

The original headline reads: “Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship.”

The updated headline reads: “Exclusive: Carson claimed West Point ‘scholarship’ but never applied.”

The original lede reads: “Carson’s campaign on Friday admitted that a central point in his inspirational personal story was fabricated.”

The update reads: “Republican hits POLITICO story, later admits to The New York Times he wasn’t offered aid.”

The article’s original first paragraph reads:

Ben Carson’s campaign on Friday admitted, in a response to an inquiry from POLITICO, that a central point in his inspirational personal story was fabricated: his application and acceptance into the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

The updated first paragraph reads:

Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson on Friday conceded that he never applied nor was granted admission to West Point and attempted to recast his previous claims of a full scholarship to the military academy — despite numerous public and written statements to the contrary over the last few decades.

Later on, the original draft states: “When presented with this evidence, Carson’s campaign conceded the story was false.”

The updated story has amended this story to: “When presented by POLITICO with these facts, Carson’s campaign conceded he never applied.”

Politico has taken a drubbing on social media and from outlets on the left and right since the original article was published and subsequently questioned on Friday morning.

As Breitbart News Senior Editor-at-Large Ben Shapiro characterized the backlash:

Politico went for a hit and came up short. In the end, they stepped on a rake. Carson, whose campaign is largely built around bashing the media as biased attack machines for the left, will emerge not only unscathed, but stronger.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 02:162 edits
    If you want to attack Carson perhaps you should stick to attacking him for thinking that the Pyramids were built by Joseph in the Bible in order to store grain.

But yea, the media is out to lynch him, no doubt about it.

I can just see them in a dark corner somewhere trying to find some weakness or wrong doing in his life. It must be very frustrating for them.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 02:21
    Originally posted by whodey
    If you want to attack Carson perhaps you should stick to attacking him for thinking that the Pyramids were built by Joseph in the Bible in order to store grain.

But yea, the media is out to lynch him, no doubt about it.

I can just see them in a dark corner somewhere trying to find some weakness or wrong doing in his life. It must be very frustrating for them.
    I think that attacking Carson is fruitless. His main fault is being too mellow. Help Trump or someone else to beat him. I don't think Hillary can.
  8. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 03:01
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I think that attacking Carson is fruitless. His main fault is being too mellow. Help Trump or someone else to beat him. I don't think Hillary can.
    he should stick with mellow
    when he gets excited
    his high pitched vocalizations are comical
  9. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 05:15
    Politico has shot itself in the foot.
    It's far to early to say for sure who has "shot themselves in the foot" Look at the Gallup polls 11 months from now, and you'll have a better idea.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 11:34
    That's what happens when you become the Republican front runner. Democratic media tries right away to take you down. We'll see if it works in the long run.
    Wouldn't the Democrats rather have a weak GOP candidate like Ben Carson, instead of someone who has a shot at winning the presidency?

Here's a radical idea: maybe news media dig in the past of candidates because there are newsworthy stories to be found?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 12:13
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    I doubt it.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 13:12
    Originally posted by bill718
    It's far to early to say for sure who has "shot themselves in the foot" Look at the Gallup polls 11 months from now, and you'll have a better idea.
    It won't even take that long. The conventions are sooner than that.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 13:211 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Wouldn't the Democrats rather have a weak GOP candidate like Ben Carson, instead of someone who has a shot at winning the presidency?

Here's a radical idea: maybe news media dig in the past of candidates because there are newsworthy stories to be found?
    Republicans desperately need a "boogeyman" so that the uneducated masses continue to vote for them. The media fits the bill perfectly.

And as far as the Dems "preferring" a weak GOP candidate, isn't the whole idea to promote the best candidates for the job? The problem is that with a weak GOP candidate, all the rednecks in this country who just vote for whoever is the Republican will end up electing a weak President. I'd really rather not see Trump or Carson in the White House, thanks very much. I'd rather see Jeb in the White House than either of these two incompetents.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 18:37
    Originally posted by bill718
    A few months earlier to determine the Republican nominee.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    07 Nov '15 18:42
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra

Absolutely, the Democrats want the weakest, and less contrasting candidate to their nominee. Their attacks will be on those candidates who are now the front runners, Carson and Trump. I just don't vote for President in the general, if another establishment guy is nominated.

How about an equally radical idea, that the media be equally as investigative of the candidates of both parties, and reveal only what they confirm as factual.