Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 15:261 edit
    White House correspondents dinner came and went. Michelle Wolf was the main attraction and had, in my opinion, a great performance.

The full performance is here:
    YouTube

Though her performance was hilarious, the backlash from her jokes was even more so. Unsurprising that trump and his minions got upset, that doesn't even merit attention. The hilarious reactions came from mainstream media, who she bashed, who claimed that she went too far in making fun of Sarah Huckabee Sanders' appearance (which she absolutely didn't).

The joke that really pissed journalists off was Michelle Wolf telling them that Drumpf couldn't sell steaks or vodka or college but he became president with their help. That they created this monster and are now profiting off of him.

The very last sentence of this stand up routine was "Flint still doesn't have clean water" which i admit, is incredibly unfunny.
  2. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    02 May '18 16:01
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    White House correspondents dinner came and went. Michelle Wolf was the main attraction and had, in my opinion, a great performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDbx1uArVOM

Though her performance was hilarious, the backlash from her jokes was even more so. Unsurprising that trump and his minions got upset, that doe ...[text shortened]... tand up routine was "Flint still doesn't have clean water" which i admit, is incredibly unfunny.
    My only problem with her performance:

She, was somehow, able to make that ungodly mess of a woman...Sarah Huckabee Sanders...look like a sympathetic character.

Oh the irony.
  3. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 May '18 16:07
    I love all the pro-Trump stations bashing her for nakibg comments about Sanders’ ugly bloody mug.

Has anyone heard Trump talk about women’s features?
    It was so obviously a dig at them, they should be sticking their heads down toilets in embarrassment, instead of attempting to tackle Wolf.

I think they hope she might do what other comedians have done: back up and ask forgiveness. They’ll be sorely mistaken and disappointed on that. Wolf will just keep chewing them up and spitting them out.

And I loved her last comment as well.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 May '18 17:23
    I have no problem with the jokes, I just don't think that was the right place for it. The fact that Trump & company deserve to be roasted like that doesn't change this. If they had gotten Denis Leary (a funny and vocal opponent of Obama) to roast Barack like that, it would be just as wrong, because that would be an inappropriate venue.

But I don't feel sorry for them, since they're only outraged because it happened to them. If Obama got roasted like that, Fox News and the rest would be laughing it up.

Honestly, this is a complete waste of time. They need to get rid of the Correspondence Dinners, along with the State of the Union address.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 17:47
    Originally posted by @wolfe63
    My only problem with her performance:

She, was somehow, able to make that ungodly mess of a woman...Sarah Huckabee Sanders...look like a sympathetic character.

Oh the irony.
    "She, was somehow, able to make that ungodly mess of a woman...Sarah Huckabee Sanders...look like a sympathetic character."
    did you watch the same correspondents dinner?
    sanders only looked sympathetic to people gullible enough to believe Michelle Wolf actually made fun of her appearance.
  6. SubscriberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 May '18 18:11

Though her performance was hilarious, the backlash from her jokes was even more so. Unsurprising that trump and his minions got upset, that doe ...[text shortened]... tand up routine was "Flint still doesn't have clean water" which i admit, is incredibly unfunny.
    It was a trashy performance filled with spot on brutal honesty. It shows us all what a POS country the United States has become; with an absolutely worthless government and media. So yes, it was a great honest performance.
    The only ones she missed giving a good bashing too that needed it, are the supposed Christian Trump supporters that think Trump is sent by God for something good. HA! Just look what we've become in the last year and one half. Oh goody. not.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 May '18 18:14
    Originally posted by @vivify
    I have no problem with the jokes, I just don't think that was the right place for it. The fact that Drumpf & company deserve to be roasted like that doesn't change this. If they had gotten Denis Leary (a funny and vocal opponent of Obama) to roast Barack like that, it would be just as wrong, because that would be an inappropriate venue.

But I don't fe ...[text shortened]... They need to get rid of the Correspondence Dinners, along with the State of the Union address.
    "I have no problem with the jokes, I just don't think that was the right place for it. "
    white house correspondents dinner. an event supposedly celebrating free speech and a free press.

" If they had gotten Denis Leary (a funny and vocal opponent of Obama) to roast Barack like that, it would be just as wrong, because that would be an inappropriate venue. "
    and Obama would have, first of all, be present to take it. Second of all, the reason Obama wasn't roasted half as much as Trump was because Obama didn't do even 10% of the crap Trump did.

what other place than the White house correspondents dinner would you prefer, btw? The white house press conferences? Where Sanders can ignore and dismiss any journalist she doesn't like? Where she can revoke the credentials of any journalist that steps out of line, which those spineless cowards know very well?
    Maybe the CNN thunderdomes where they make 4 pundits scream at and over each other until it's time to cut to commercials?
    Maybe the US house and senate where Mitch McConnel or Paul Ryan can and will use any tool available to them to remove any voice they don't like?

The White House correspondents dinner is exactly the place to criticize the powerful.

"Honestly, this is a complete waste of time. They need to get rid of the Correspondence Dinners, along with the State of the Union address"
    Why. I am not for keeping traditions just for the sake of keeping traditions but dismissing something that was established for a good reason should only be done if there is a good reason. Do you have a good reason? "Being a waste of time" is not a good reason, is a personal opinion of yours, one you didn't support yet.

You also lumped the state of the union together with this which is completely illogical as they have no connection. Disregarding that, why get rid of the state of the union? Just because Trump turned it into a grotesque spectacle to lie about the importance of Trump?
  8. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    02 May '18 18:39

your response just goes to show what a POS trash you are!
  9. SubscriberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 May '18 18:54
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    your response just goes to show what a POS trash you are!
    The POS trash would be your mom for raising the POS you.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    02 May '18 20:05
    Originally posted by @kingdavid403
    It was a trashy performance filled with spot on brutal honesty. It shows us all what a POS country the United States has become; with an absolutely worthless government and media. So yes, it was a great honest performance.
    The only ones she missed giving a good bashing too that needed it, are the supposed Christian Trump supporters that think Trum ...[text shortened]... omething good. HA! Just look what we've become in the last year and one half. Oh goody. not.
    What better symbol could there be for the downfall of American hegemony than the election of the literal embodiment of every negative stereotype about Americans?
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 May '18 20:132 edits
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra to KingDavid403
    What better symbol could there be for the downfall of American hegemony than the
    election of the literal embodiment of every negative stereotype about Americans?
    I have met a Latino who supports Donald Trump. As an affluent businessman, he believes
    that President Trump will benefit his economic interests, and that's what most important to him.
    When I asked him about Donald Trump's comments putting down Mexicans, he shrugged it off.
    Indeed, he believed that Donald Trump was smart to use racism to appeal to white Americans
    who fear Latinos. As far as I can infer, this Latino supporter of Donald Trump believes
    that his wealth will be enough to insulate him from any increased racism against Latinos.
    He seems to have little empathy for poor Latino migrants to the USA.

My point is that President Trump still seems to have a very loyal adoring base of support among Americans.
    There are signs that he could fall from power, but his myth still grips many Americans.
  12. SubscriberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 May '18 20:525 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    I have met a Latino who supports Donald Trump. As an affluent businessman, he believes
    that President Trump will benefit his economic interests, and that's what most important to him.
    When I asked him about Donald Trump's comments putting down Mexicans, he shrugged it off.
    Indeed, he believed that Donald Trump was smart to use racism to appeal to whit ...[text shortened]... ricans.
    There are signs that he could fall from power, but his myth still grips many Americans.
    As an affluent businessman, he believes that President Trump will benefit his economic interests, and that's what most important to him.As far as I can infer, this Latino supporter of Donald Trump believes that his wealth will be enough to insulate him from any increased racism against Latinos.
    Notice that his real god is money; and, that is all he cares about. Notice that he thinks his god will protect him. HA.
    He seems to have little empathy for poor Latino migrants to the USA.
    Shocking! Not, he's a trump supporter whom I'm sure claims to be a Christian and praises Jesus out of the other side of his mouth.
    My point is that President Trump still seems to have a very loyal adoring base of support among Americans.
    They are by far the minority. 63 million votes against Hillary's 66. 350 million people in the United states. That means close to 290 million did not vote for him. almost the same for Hillary.
  13. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 May '18 21:021 edit
    "I have no problem with the jokes, I just don't think that was the right place for it. "
    white house correspondents dinner. an event supposedly celebrating free speech and a free press.
    This is a common and tired justification popular with all the usual late-night comics. Michelle Wolf could've talked about all her favorite sex positions, but that doesn't mean it would've been appropriate for that event. Just because you *can* say something, that doesn't mean you should.

I don't think that just because I happen to agree with Ms. Wolf that it makes what she did okay. Trump did and said a lot of horrible things; but in the opinion of conservatives, so did Obama. You said Obama didn't do 10 percent of the things Trump did; conservatives will always say the opposite. That doesn't mean a conservative comic would be justified in attacking Obama like that.

You also lumped the state of the union together with this which is completely illogical as they have no connection. Disregarding that, why get rid of the state of the union? Just because Trump turned it into a grotesque spectacle to lie about the importance of Trump?

Because they're nothing more than glorified pep rallies. It's gets sickening to hear a president recite platitudes and get a standing ovation every 1.6 minutes. Every SOTU speech is about how insert______is "strong": "Our values are strong, our people are strong, our....." etc., etc. How many times do need I to hear a speech end with "and that's why we're the greatest nation in the world!!!" followed raucous cheering and footage of the president shaking hands for the next 6 minutes during his triumphant exit.

I think the correspondence dinners could actually be worthwhile in a less toxic and partisan political climate. But right now, they're just a big waste of partisan circle-jerking.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    02 May '18 21:07
    Originally posted by @kingdavid403
    [b]As an affluent businessman, he believes that President Trump will benefit his economic interests, and that's what most important to him.As far as I can infer, this Latino supporter of Donald Trump believes that his wealth will be enough to insulate him from any increased racism against Latinos.
    Notice that his god is money; and, that is all ...[text shortened]... ter whom I'm sure claims to be a Christian and praises Jesus out of the other side of his mouth.[/b]
    I wrote nothing about this Latino businessman's religious beliefs.
    KingDavid403 has stereotyped him and apparently unfairly judged him.

For the curious, however, he has taught children in Sunday school at his Christian church.
    He told me of his acts of charity toward 'deserving' poor individuals, including buying a used
    car for a poor black man (who eventually repaid him month-by-month) who needed transportation.

A difference between him and me is that I believe that the poor need more aid than just
    the sum of charity by well-meaning individuals, The system needs to be changed.
    But he does not want to listen to my criticisms of American capitalism.

"Notice that his god is money; and, that is all he cares about."
    --KingDavid403

I suspect that he would care most about his family or at least some people in it.
    He's divorced once (bitterly), and having recently remarried, he's still in the 'honeymoon'
    phase with his younger second wife (who's not a Latina). They hope to have children.
  15. SubscriberKingDavid403
    King David
    Planet Earth.
    Moves
    02 May '18 21:168 edits
    Originally posted by @duchess64

For the curious, however, he has taught children in Sunday school at his Christian church.
    He told me of his acts of charity toward 'deserving' poor individuals, including buying a used
    car for a poor black man (who ...[text shortened]... oneymoon'
    phase with his younger second wife (who's not a Latina). They hope to have children.

In your own words sister. "he believes that President Trump will benefit his economic interests, and that's what most important to him." 🙄
    car for a poor black man (who eventually repaid him month-by-month) who needed transportation.
    Sure he did; and, he teaches those children in Sunday school that Trump is some kind of godly leader, while tooting his own horn of how godly he is to everyone else as you. Which scripture clearly tells us NOT to do. Sound familiar? lol He and people like him are the reason for America's decay and no one else.
    Matthew 6:1“Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven."