Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    29 Dec '18 13:34
    If you are white, the challenges you face in life are never due to the color of your skin. I really cannot begin to imagine how stressful everyday life must be for non-white people in the United States. The ability to record these incidents and post them has helped bring to light the pervasive racism in the United States.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/28/us/black-man-kicked-out-hotel-portland.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Dec '18 05:33
    @phranny said
    If you are white, the challenges you face in life are never due to the color of your skin. I really cannot begin to imagine how stressful everyday life must be for non-white people in the United States. The ability to record these incidents and post them has helped bring to light the pervasive racism in the United States.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/28/us/black-man-kicked-out-hotel-portland.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage
    Mhmmm.
    Mhmmmmmmm.

I don’t know what to think about this white privilege malarkey.
    On the one hand: Yes. There’s a definitive point in there somewhere. People in the US (cause that’s where we’re talking about) certainly have fewer problems if they are white.

On the other hand, rationally, just because someone’s got a problem because they are black, doesn’t actually mean that non-blacks are privileged.

Oh, I know some people think it does, it doesn’t though; that’s what I’m saying.
    Just because you have a car, doesn’t mean to say that I don’t have a car or a similar mode of transportation which is equally effective.
    Logic. Thank you.

A degree of subtlety might shine a light:
    Is there a difference between being privileged and feeling privileged?
    Know what I mean?

Say you are white and priviliged. But you’ve lost your job, your house is being taken by the bank and your kid has cancer and you can’t afford to pay the bills (merry Xmas, by the way, I’m also available to do kids parties... you know... cheer them up for the new year): does that privilige they have because they’re not-black have any root in their reality? Does telling them they’re white and privileged actually help anyone?

Mhmmmm.
    See my problem with it all?
    To sum it up: I think there is a degree of white privilige in US society. But, I don’t think it’s a constructive term (it’s only going to polorize people even more in their opinions), and I think that financial security, free healthcare and the right to a home (stability for each person and family.. a basis which can’t be removed) will solve more issues than pointing out the obvious, which many people won’t be able to feel anyways.
  3. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    03 Jan '19 11:39
    @shavixmir said
    Mhmmm.
    Mhmmmmmmm.

I don’t know what to think about this white privilege malarkey.
    On the one hand: Yes. There’s a definitive point in there somewhere. People in the US (cause that’s where we’re talking about) certainly have fewer problems if they are white.

On the other hand, rationally, just because someone’s got a problem because they are black, doesn’t actually m ...[text shortened]... ll solve more issues than pointing out the obvious, which many people won’t be able to feel anyways.
    White privilege is great. Never give it up. Everyone should have white privilege (a.k.a. being treated like a normal human being.)

White Privilege For All!
  4. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    04 Jan '19 12:49
    @shavixmir, all people, regardless of their race, ethnicity, gender, etc., suffer the slings, the arrows, the pain that is part of life. The term "white privilege" reflects the absolute truth that in the United States, if you are not perceived as white, your darker flesh will definitely make life more difficult and stressful. You go to the symphony and someone thinks you are the hat check girl or the valet. You get followed around a department store by their security. You go to check out at the grocery store to pay with a credit card or check and you are the only one asked to show additional ID. Those are the small daily insults. To ignore the reality of white privilege is, in my humble opinion, a sure sign of racism.
  5. Joined
    30 Dec '18
    Moves
    04 Jan '19 13:05
    Stop stealing so many credit cards and writing bad cheques and they will stop asking for additional I.D.
    When customer service deals with problems that happen a lot with a certain ethnicity they end up treating all of them a certain way.

It's the same as cops pulling over a black guy for no reason. A lot of the time they pull them over and they find guns or drugs or warrants or no license etc etc. So they pull them over because more than likely they will find something.

So when a cashier asks for additional I.D. based on race it's because A LOT of that race has tried stolen cards or bad cheques.

Yes it's stereotypical but that's life.
    Each race as a whole has to bring itself up to a higher standard.