Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Feb '12 15:21 / 1 edit
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7617213/new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-ben-jerry-apologizes-lin-sanity-flavor

    Ben & Jerry's, the iconic ice cream brand famous for flavors borrowed from all bands of the culinary spectrum, has apologized for including fortune cookies in its "Taste the Lin-Sanity" frozen yogurt sold at a Harvard Square location in Boston.

    The Vermont-founded company has replaced the fortune cookies in its honey-swirl, Jeremy Lin-inspired variety with waffle cones.

    "We offer a heartfelt apology if anyone was offended by our handmade Lin-Sanity flavor," Ben & Jerry's said in a statement.


    Lin is Chinese. Fortune cookies are typically served with Chinese meals. They put fortune cookies in the ice cream flavor honoring Lin.

    Why, oh WHY, do they have to apologize? Why would anyone be offended?

    Can someone please try to explain it to me?


    PS: If Ben and Jerry's ever wants to make an "sh76 swirl" ice cream flavor with pieces of rugelach and hamatashen, I promise they won't have to apologize. I just want a cut of the royalties.
  2. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    26 Feb '12 15:24
    That's almost as offensive as He-Brew - the Chosen Beer
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Feb '12 15:43
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    That's almost as offensive as He-Brew - the Chosen Beer


    Heh. That's a good one.

    Was that really marketed or just a joke?
  4. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    26 Feb '12 15:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76


    Heh. That's a good one.

    Was that really marketed or just a joke?
    It's for real! Hilarious when you see it in the beer section.

    http://www.noevalleyvoice.com/1998/May/hebrew.html
  5. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    26 Feb '12 16:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7617213/new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-ben-jerry-apologizes-lin-sanity-flavor

    [quote]Ben & Jerry's, the iconic ice cream brand famous for flavors borrowed from all bands of the culinary spectrum, has apologized for including fortune cookies in its "Taste the Lin-Sanity" frozen yogurt sold at a Harvard Square location in ...[text shortened]... amatashen, I promise they won't have to apologize. I just want a cut of the royalties.
    Besides the fact that I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would be Jeremy Lin inspired (is he famous or something?), I cannot see anything remotely offensive about it.

    Is this the basket baller (just popped into my head.... believe it or not)?
    I saw something one Dutch TV about the Daily show with some black dude saying it wasn't done during Negro week to have a Chinese guy take basketball from them. Then in the interview with the Chinese basketballer the guy (the basketballer) says something along the lines of him having a dream...

    And the black guy on the Daily show goes: "YOU had a dream???"

    Excellent stuff.

    But anyone who thinks ice-cream is offensive, needs to have their teeth nerves checked.
  6. 26 Feb '12 16:31
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Besides the fact that I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would be Jeremy Lin inspired (is he famous or something?), I cannot see anything remotely offensive about it.

    Is this the basket baller (just popped into my head.... believe it or not)?
    I saw something one Dutch TV about the Daily show with some black dude saying it wasn't done during ...[text shortened]... .

    But anyone who thinks ice-cream is offensive, needs to have their teeth nerves checked.
    I haven't heard the term "negro" in a while.
  7. 26 Feb '12 19:57
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7617213/new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-ben-jerry-apologizes-lin-sanity-flavor

    [quote]Ben & Jerry's, the iconic ice cream brand famous for flavors borrowed from all bands of the culinary spectrum, has apologized for including fortune cookies in its "Taste the Lin-Sanity" frozen yogurt sold at a Harvard Square location in ...[text shortened]... amatashen, I promise they won't have to apologize. I just want a cut of the royalties.
    I think the problem is that corporate lawyers are a particular nervous and easily offended section of society.
  8. 26 Feb '12 20:45
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7617213/new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-ben-jerry-apologizes-lin-sanity-flavor

    [quote]Ben & Jerry's, the iconic ice cream brand famous for flavors borrowed from all bands of the culinary spectrum, has apologized for including fortune cookies in its "Taste the Lin-Sanity" frozen yogurt sold at a Harvard Square location in ...[text shortened]... amatashen, I promise they won't have to apologize. I just want a cut of the royalties.
    I hate to say this sh76 but I'm personally offended by your post.
  9. 26 Feb '12 20:45
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I haven't heard the term "negro" in a while.
    Racist!!
  10. 26 Feb '12 21:42
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    I think the problem is that corporate lawyers are a particular nervous and easily offended section of society.
    I remember as a chemical engineer working for a major petrochemical company, we were instructed by our corporate attomeys to never use words in electronic documents like "explosion" or "death" or "leak." And that if we had too use such words, to write them on a scratch piece of paper that could be crumpled and thrown away.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    26 Feb '12 21:48
    "Yesterday we had a...umm...alternate fuel route occur spontaneously leading to...a dramatic transformation of chemicals...Frank has left the company."
  12. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    27 Feb '12 03:35
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Frank has left the company."
    Ha!
  13. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    27 Feb '12 05:37
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7617213/new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-ben-jerry-apologizes-lin-sanity-flavor

    [quote]Ben & Jerry's, the iconic ice cream brand famous for flavors borrowed from all bands of the culinary spectrum, has apologized for including fortune cookies in its "Taste the Lin-Sanity" frozen yogurt sold at a Harvard Square location in ...[text shortened]... amatashen, I promise they won't have to apologize. I just want a cut of the royalties.
    The ice cream flavor was not politically correct.

    Do we still have to be politically correct at all times, or is that period over (thank God!)
  14. Standard member spruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    27 Feb '12 05:43
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I remember as a chemical engineer working for a major petrochemical company, we were instructed by our corporate attomeys to never use words in electronic documents like "explosion" or "death" or "leak." And that if we had too use such words, to write them on a scratch piece of paper that could be crumpled and thrown away.
    Yeah, I've heard that sort of thing. "Assume anything you write in an e-mail could one day be on the front page of the New York Times."
  15. 27 Feb '12 12:44
    Originally posted by sh76
    Lin is Chinese. Fortune cookies are typically served with Chinese meals. They put fortune cookies in the ice cream flavor honoring Lin.

    Why, oh WHY, do they have to apologize? Why would anyone be offended?
    Well perhaps the issue is that:
    1. Lin is not Chinese, hes american.
    2. Fortune cookies are not Chinese either.