Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 16 Aug '14 15:22
    http://fox2now.com/2014/08/16/police-presence-in-question-during-overnight-looting/

FERGUSON, MO (KTVI)- Police presence is in question after St. Louis County and Missouri State Highway Patrol officers left the scene in Ferguson once looters began attacking businesses overnight.

Seriously, why open a business in a region where at any time the police may just walk away? If you open a business in these neighborhood it is no better than opening a business in a warlord controlled war zone.
  2. 16 Aug '14 19:27
    Originally posted by Eladar
    http://fox2now.com/2014/08/16/police-presence-in-question-during-overnight-looting/

[b]FERGUSON, MO (KTVI)- Police presence is in question after St. Louis County and Missouri State Highway Patrol officers left the scene in Ferguson once looters began attacking businesses overnight.

Seriously, why open a business in a region where at any time the pol ...[text shortened]... in these neighborhood it is no better than opening a business in a warlord controlled war zone.[/b]
    The answer is that these are generally underserved communities. Startup costs are lower, and because of less competition profit margins tend to be higher. Generally these are smaller businesses, with most of the big box outlets avoiding these areas as too risky. In Detroit, some neighborhoods don't have even high risk entreprenuers willing to start up.
  3. 16 Aug '14 19:30

[b]FERGUSON, MO (KTVI)- Police presence is in question after St. Louis County and Missouri State Highway Patrol officers left the scene in Ferguson once looters began attacking businesses overnight.

Seriously, why open a business in a region where at any time the pol ...[text shortened]... in these neighborhood it is no better than opening a business in a warlord controlled war zone.[/b]
    I'm surprised that nobody has done the FMF thing and proclaimed that police have refused to investigate the death of Michael Brown, seeing that no police officer has been charged with murder.
  4. 19 Aug '14 01:44
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I'm surprised that nobody has done the FMF thing and proclaimed that police have refused to investigate the death of Michael Brown, seeing that no police officer has been charged with murder.
    I'm surprised at the lack of discussion on this topic. Guess the leftist are once bitten twice shy due with TM.
  5. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Aug '14 03:43
    I'm surprised at the lack of discussion on this topic. Guess the leftist are once bitten twice shy due with TM.
    The lesson to learn is that violent protests with looting of businesses at night gets national attention. Some protesters have learned to wear masks from watching Muslims terrorists.
  6. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    19 Aug '14 04:05 / 1 edit
    I understand that Ferguson is a suburb of St. Louis, Mo. and investigations like this are not done by the local Ferguson Police, but by the St. Louis city/county prosecutors office. The police chief has said he has released everything he was allowed to due to the ongoing investigation. So it is the St Louis prosecutor that must file any charges. So the protestors should be in front of the St. Louis prosecutors office and not on the streets in Ferguson.
  7. 21 Aug '14 09:04
    nobody wants to enter another discussion with your racist ignorant ass.
  8. 21 Aug '14 18:08
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi to Eladar
    nobody wants to enter another discussion with your racist ignorant ass.
    It's well-known that this forum has many extremely racist right-wing white
    American men, who routinely support one another whenever one of them
    spews more of his racism.

Let's consider how *differently* the right-wing white American men here
    would respond *if* someone had created a thread with this title:
    "Why Businesses Shouldn't Open in White Communities".
  9. 22 Aug '14 21:38
    To point out a fact means that you are a racist.

Once again leftists choose to simply put down others and call them names in an attempt to shout them down. Typical, sad, but typical.
  10. Standard member DeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    22 Aug '14 22:09
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The lesson to learn is that violent protests with looting of businesses at night gets national attention. Some protesters have learned to wear masks from watching Muslims terrorists.
    Look up the Waltham Black Act (1723) on Wikipedia. This notorious piece of legislation, which made vandalising ponds a hanging offence, had a clause which made blacking one's face punishable by death. The point was it was evidence of poaching. Disguising one's identity is not a new thing learnt from Arabs.
  11. 22 Aug '14 22:31 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought to RJHinds
    Look up the Waltham Black Act (1723) on Wikipedia. This notorious piece of legislation, which made vandalising ponds a hanging offence, had a clause which made blacking one's face punishable by death. The point was it was evidence of poaching. Disguising one's identity is not a new thing learnt from Arabs.
    "Some protestors have learned to wear masks from watching Muslim terrorists."
    --RJHinds

"Disguising one's identity is not a new thing learnt from the Arabs."
    --DeepThought

Indeed, disguising one's identity seems to be a timeless practice.

But please don't conflate 'Muslim terrorists' with 'the Arabs'. There many
    Muslim armed militants (whether called 'terrorists' or not) who are not Arab.
    Afghans, Indonesians, Iranians, Pakistanis, Somalis, Turks, etc. are not Arabs.
    And there are many Arabs who are not Muslims, let alone 'Muslim terrorists'.
  12. 22 Aug '14 23:23
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    It's well-known that this forum has many extremely racist right-wing white
    American men, who routinely support one another whenever one of them
    spews more of his racism.

Let's consider how *differently* the right-wing white American men here
    would respond *if* someone had created a thread with this title:
    "Why Businesses Shouldn't Open in White Communities".
    It is well known that at least one anti American fool lives here and constantly degrades white American men as right wing racists. People investing in startup businesses usually consider all the factors which could help or hinder their chances of making a profit. I did business in a majority black city famous for its murder rates and ill treatment of white people. Still, my customers were largely good people, and many of them remain friends. Each businessman must decide for himself whether the risk is worth the reward, and your silly condemnation of anyone not seeing things your way is deplorable. I venture to say we won't see you any time soon opening a business in Detroit or Ferguson.
  13. 22 Aug '14 23:35
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Kroger has several Detroit stores. Farmer Jacks fairly recently closes all of its Detroit stores. Last year Meijers opened a super store barely inside the city limits experimentally, and if that works out they will open another. Operating in the Detroit environment is decidedly difficult. KMart (a Michigan based company) several years ago fought local residents to open a super store which remained open only about 6 months, reportedly due to unacceptable levels of shoplifting. Home Depot bought the property and has been there since roughly five years.

Each business has its own tolerance level for loss due to theft, and for potential violence. Big chains like Sears, Montgomery Ward, and Hudsons made the conscious decision to close inner city stores, and relocate to suburban malls. Walmart to my knowledge has no plans for any Detroit outlets.
  14. 23 Aug '14 00:06 / 2 edits
    It is well known that at least one anti American fool lives here and constantly degrades white American men as right wing racists. People investing in startup businesses usually consider all the factors which could help or hinder their chances of making a profit. I did business in a majority black city famous for its murder rates and ill treatment of wh ...[text shortened]... ble. I venture to say we won't see you any time soon opening a business in Detroit or Ferguson.
    "...constantly degrades white American men as right wing racists."
    --Normbenign

That's another lie by Normbenign. I don't consider Noam Chomsky,
    a white American man, for instance, as 'right-wing' or a 'racist'.

Indeed, many, if not most, of the right-wing white American men (including
    Normbenign) in this forum are racists, though some work harder than
    others at denying or concealing their racism. This common right-wing
    white American subculture of racism at RHP has been discussed by some
    other writers (e.g. Finnegan) here besides me. Even some of the white
    American writers here have commented about this subculture of racism.
  15. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    23 Aug '14 23:30
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "...constantly degrades white American men as right wing racists."
    --Normbenign

That's another lie by Normbenign. I don't consider Noam Chomsky,
    a white American man, for instance, as 'right-wing' or a 'racist'.

Indeed, many, if not most, of the right-wing white American men (including
    Normbenign) in this forum are racists, though some work har ...[text shortened]... . Even some of the white
    American writers here have commented about this subculture of racism.
    In my opinion you have a distorted view of society.