Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    30 Dec '12 08:00 / 1 edit
    Big government seems an evil concept in America. Many live in fear of the government restricting their freedoms, almost to the point of paranoia. I look at "big government" countries like Sweden and Finland with they're high taxes, government supplied healthcare, paid maternery leave for women, , high education standards, low pollution levels, and overall high standard of living, and have to wonder if American's fear of "government" is unfounded. Yes...I can hear it now "If ya don't like it here in the good 'ol U S of A then move there ya damn Liberal!" Soothe the ruffled feathers little republicans...I'm not trying to slam America, but perhaps we should re examine our fear of government, and ask ourselves if it's really justified, or superstition.
  2. 30 Dec '12 08:25 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by bill718
    Big government seems an evil concept in America. Many live in fear of the government restricting their freedoms, almost to the point of paranoia. I look at "big government" countries like Sweden and Finland with they're high taxes, government supplied healthcare, paid maternery leave for women, , high education standards, low pollution levels, and overall hi r fear of government, and ask ourselves if it's really justified, or superstition.
    America has grown up as the biggest new kid-on-the-block; an orphan by its own design, backstreet-wise, sociopathic, self-harming and desperate to be loved. If America were a youth here in the UK, it would be what we affectionately call a "hoodie" and have an ASBO slapped on it faster than you can say "attention deficit disorder".
  3. 30 Dec '12 14:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    America has grown up as the biggest new kid-on-the-block; an orphan by its own design, backstreet-wise, sociopathic, self-harming and desperate to be loved. If America were a youth here in the UK, it would be what we affectionately call a "hoodie" and have an ASBO slapped on it faster than you can say "attention deficit disorder".
    What a load in the pants that was
  4. 30 Dec '12 14:22
    Big government seems an evil concept in America. Many live in fear of the government restricting their freedoms, almost to the point of paranoia. I look at "big government" countries like Sweden and Finland with they're high taxes, government supplied healthcare, paid maternery leave for women, , high education standards, low pollution levels, and overall hi ...[text shortened]... r fear of government, and ask ourselves if it's really justified, or superstition.
    When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people their is freedom.
  5. 30 Dec '12 15:01 / 1 edit
    [b]Big government seems an evil concept in America. Many live in fear of the government restricting their freedoms, almost to the point of paranoia.
    All laws restrict freedom dimwit. Last year, the government passed over 40,000 regulations and laws.
  6. 30 Dec '12 15:07
    The rest of the world fears the US government why wouldn't Americans?
  7. 30 Dec '12 15:14
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    When you have a government killing two entire families at a wedding with drones to justify killing one so called bad guy, no wonder there is fear. Tyranny to the max.
  8. 30 Dec '12 15:24
    ****Drone alert*****

If you live anywhere near KilgoreTrout consider moving.
  9. 30 Dec '12 15:35
    Originally posted by whodey
    ****Drone alert*****

If you live anywhere near KilgoreTrout consider moving.
    Oh nonsense 90% of the people on this board complain about America and how awful it's government is, what's your problem?
  10. 30 Dec '12 15:37
    Oh nonsense 90% of the people on this board complain about America and how awful it's government is, what's your problem?
    Sorry, I don't know you and don't want to know or talk to you.

Big Brother is our freind.
  11. 30 Dec '12 15:56
    What makes you think the rest of the world "fears" the US government?
  12. 30 Dec '12 16:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What makes you think the rest of the world "fears" the US government?
    don't make me start digging up posts from you and everyone else on this site about how teh suck the US government is and how it terrorizes the world, you know what I mean , you're just being contrary
  13. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    30 Dec '12 17:06
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm beginning to think you are correct.
  14. 30 Dec '12 17:34
    Big government seems an evil concept in America. Many live in fear of the government restricting their freedoms, almost to the point of paranoia. I look at "big government" countries like Sweden and Finland with they're high taxes, government supplied healthcare, paid maternery leave for women, , high education standards, low pollution levels, and overall hi ...[text shortened]... r fear of government, and ask ourselves if it's really justified, or superstition.
    Distrust of government is built into the US' founding documents. Separation of powers, and checks and balances, are designed to prevent the return of tyranny. Consciously followed the Roman republic model which built on the models of Lycurgus and Solon, a "balanced" constitution WRT powers. Recognized the need for civilian control of the military (president as CinC) but limited presidential power -- the legislature can override his veto, and can impeach; the SCOTUS can overrule both, but a circular process of executive appointment of SCOTUS with legislative approval guarantees no lasting power shift. Ultimate sovereignty resides in the citizenry, who have freedom of assembly and speech with which to exercise their built-in distrust with some tolerance for paranoia. Tension between states and federal power. It's all by initial design, played out with haphazard inefficiency. It's a mess, but it's understandable.
  15. 30 Dec '12 18:23
    don't make me start digging up posts from you and everyone else on this site about how teh suck the US government is and how it terrorizes the world, you know what I mean , you're just being contrary
    Please do start by quoting me where I am saying or implying the US government "sucks" and "terrorizes the world". The US has cordial relations with most of Europe as well as strong trade ties. I don't see a reason to fear napalm bombs or Agent Orange any time soon.