Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    17 May '10 01:25
    http://www.city-journal.org/2010/20_2_soviet-archives.html

    It seems these documents are offered to reporters and political analysts and nobody is interested. It seems incredible these damning documents are ignored by everyone worldwide.
  2. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 May '10 13:33
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.city-journal.org/2010/20_2_soviet-archives.html

    It seems these documents are offered to reporters and political analysts and nobody is interested. It seems incredible these damning documents are ignored by everyone worldwide.
    The communist dictators were bad and brutal guys??

    Stop the presses!
  3. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    17 May '10 15:11
    Originally posted by sh76
    The communist dictators were bad and brutal guys??

    Stop the presses!
    Shocking isn't it?!

    But a serious answer can also be given to this topic.
    Maybe later, though.
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 May '10 15:20
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    But a serious answer can also be given to this topic.
    Yeah; but what fun is that?
  5. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    17 May '10 15:29
    Originally posted by sh76
    Yeah; but what fun is that?
    My thoughts exactly!

    But I'm pedantic like that, so I'll probably post one later on anyway.
  6. 17 May '10 17:20
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/poland/5171773/Notorious-SS-unit-traced.html
  7. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    17 May '10 17:43
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.city-journal.org/2010/20_2_soviet-archives.html

    It seems these documents are offered to reporters and political analysts and nobody is interested. It seems incredible these damning documents are ignored by everyone worldwide.
    Maybe because 1) Nazis were defeated and we got to see as much of their secrets as they didn't destroy and 2) Nazis were race based, not ideology based. Communism sounds so warm and fuzzy.
  8. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    18 May '10 02:35
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Maybe because 1) Nazis were defeated and we got to see as much of their secrets as they didn't destroy and 2) Nazis were race based, not ideology based. Communism sounds so warm and fuzzy.
    But one point they made was this: present day modern Russian strategy is looking a lot like the Soviet era style work, talks with Syria is very much like the old Soviet line. This means those document have present day relevance if the idiots in government could get their heads out of their collective assses and actually do a real study of the documents.
  9. 18 May '10 10:08
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Maybe because 1) Nazis were defeated and we got to see as much of their secrets as they didn't destroy and 2) Nazis were race based, not ideology based. Communism sounds so warm and fuzzy.
    And is still supported by many socialist dupes, including some who regularly post on this forum.
  10. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    18 May '10 10:18
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    AThousandYoung - Communism sounds so warm and fuzzy.
    And is still supported by many socialist dupes, including some who regularly post on this forum.
    Redmike is the only professed Communist who posts regularly here. One of the distinctive features of the Debates Forum is the lack of support for Communism, surely.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    18 May '10 13:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    Redmike is the only professed Communist who posts regularly here. One of the distinctive features of the Debates Forum is the lack of support for Communism, surely.
    Shav is also a professed communist.

    And rwingett is pretty close.

    Given the lack of over-all support for communism in western society, this dearth may simply be representative of society as a whole.
  12. 18 May '10 13:35
    Originally posted by sh76
    Shav is also a professed communist.

    And rwingett is pretty close.

    Given the lack of over-all support for communism in western society, this dearth may simply be representative of society as a whole.
    So what is a Communist? Like the Christians and the Conservatives, those who profess the ideology are quick to claim that all bad results are perpetrated by apostates.

    "Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan." -- John F. Kennedy
  13. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    18 May '10 13:50 / 1 edit
    The Soviet Union perverted communism. Moreover, it is no longer a force in the modern world.

    Only a historian would have reason to read these documents.
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    18 May '10 14:03
    Originally posted by sh76
    Shav is also a professed communist.

    And rwingett is pretty close.
    Scherzo too, come to think of it. Still doesn't amount to the aforementioned "many" posters who are said to support Communism.
  15. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    18 May '10 14:13
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    The Soviet Union perverted communism. Moreover, it is no longer a force in the modern world.

    Only a historian would have reason to read these documents.
    But one of the points of the article is present day Russian political strategy is very similar to the Soviet days, so the docs should be studied with the idea of figuring out future Russian moves. The Russian government is not composed of nice people.