Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 12:32
    Conservatives: I'm NOT posting this here to deepen our partisan divide, or to be insulting. Lord knows we have enough of that, but rather to give everyone an idea of why well educated voters tend to vote the way they do. Among the reasons well educated voters tend to lean to the left are: Educated professionals tend to be urban dwellers who live close to other like minded voters, more liberal female college graduates, the well educated tend to be exposed to many different kinds of people worldwide, fostering a more tolerant attitude regarding other cultures, races, and faiths, and much more. Lots of interesting reading here.

https://www.npr.org/2016/04/30/475794063/why-are-highly-educated-americans-getting-more-liberal

http://www.demos.org/blog/why-most-educated-americans-vote-democratic
  2. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 12:43
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Conservatives: I'm NOT posting this here to deepen our partisan divide, or to be insulting. Lord knows we have enough of that, but rather to give everyone an idea of why well educated voters tend to vote the way they do. Among the reasons well educated voters tend to lean to the left are: Educated professionals tend to be urban dwellers who live close to oth ...[text shortened]... ns-getting-more-liberal

Or you could ask yourself why studies like this (if you can call it studies, no factual data) exist.

https://reflectionsofarationalrepublican.com/2012/01/14/are-liberals-more-educated-than-conservatives/
  3. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 12:511 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    Or you could ask yourself why studies like this (if you can call it studies, no factual data) exist.

https://reflectionsofarationalrepublican.com/2012/01/14/are-liberals-more-educated-than-conservatives/
    I had a feeling you'd take this as an insult. Voter data regarding demographics is pretty factual, this is data that even the most hard right wing conservative political strategists depend on when putting together their election year plans, but I see putting aside your partisan prejudices to even consider this is simply not going to happen.
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 12:541 edit
    Conservatives: I'm NOT posting this here to deepen our partisan divide, or to be insulting. Lord knows we have enough of that, but rather to give everyone an idea of why well educated voters tend to vote the way they do. Among the reasons well educated voters tend to lean to the left are: Educated professionals tend to be urban dwellers who live close to oth ...[text shortened]... ns-getting-more-liberal

Some people just think they're better at running other peoples lives for them, and they're prepared to use state force to mold other lives.

nothing new to report.
  5. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 13:00
    I had a feeling you'd take this as an insult. Voter data regarding demographics is pretty factual, this is data that even the most hard right wing conservative political strategists depend on when putting together their election year plans, but I see putting aside your partisan prejudices to even consider this is simply not going to happen.
    You haven't posted any data
  6. Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 14:13
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    You haven't posted any data
    I'm not here to spoon feed you this information Mott. If you choose to dispute it, that's fine with me.
  7. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 14:25
    I'm not here to spoon feed you this information Mott. If you choose to dispute it, that's fine with me.
    I cant dispute that which is not there. You posted links to OPINIONS.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 15:033 edits
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    Some people just think they're better at running other peoples lives for them, and they're prepared to use state force to mold other lives.

nothing new to report.
    Well I know how stupid I am, being a conservative and all.

Why if it were not for brilliant people like Barak Obama, I would have died in the streets long ago.

Progressives like mchill keep conservatives from death itself. We should be thankful. Instead, we just question Progressive policy and find problems with it.

We should all be ashamed. 😞
  9. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 15:351 edit
    I reckon it’s down to right-wing inbreeding.

Kidding.

To my knowledge (and what I’ve noticed first hand) is that exposure to differences leads to a more left-wing point of view.

So, people who go to university or travel a lot tend to be more exposed to differences and this makes them more socially left-leaning.

I’ve not witnessed much difference on the economic front through education (although people who have travelled through real poverty-stricken areas, like the slums of Mumbai, do tend to question the economics which create such misery).

Another thing I’ve noticed, but have never seen research on, is that the more property someone has, the more economically right-leaning they become. So owning lots of TV’s makes you more conservative than living a minimalist life-style.
  10. Subscriberkmax87
    Land of Free
    Health and Education
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 16:08
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Well I know how stupid I am, being a conservative and all.
    Hey woods, the first step to recovery is admitting your shortcomings, so all I will say is let the healing and transformation begin!
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 16:10

"Among the reasons well educated voters tend to lean to the left are"
    being liberal is not synonymous to being left leaning

"Educated professionals tend to be urban dwellers who live close to other like minded
    voters"
    no.
    it is true that educated professionals tend to be urban dwellers but it is not true that they live close to other like minded individuals. it is precisely because they get into contact with different people that they are liberal. in a large city you have a much larger chance to meet new and different people and tend to learn quickly that cooperation with them is necessary. through cooperation and thus contact we learn to tolerate those that are different than us.

You say the same in the following sentence but i am unsure what is the message you got.
  12. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 19:18

American conservatism is a different brand entirely.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 19:44
    Originally posted by @wajoma

nothing new to report.
    Aahh, the same-old, tired meme about liberals "running other peoples lives for them". At least liberals do not keep trying to keep non-white minorities from exercizing their constitutional right to vote, and thereby gaining the power to pass laws which actually do "run other peoples lives for them". Keep your crocodile tears to yourself.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 19:47
    Originally posted by @ashiitaka
    American conservatism is a different brand entirely.
    Fascism is fascism.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 19:53
    Originally posted by @kmax87
    Hey woods, the first step to recovery is admitting your shortcomings, so all I will say is let the healing and transformation begin!
    Well from now on, I'll let you do my thinking for me.