Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 17 Jun '14 13:13 / 1 edit
    German Chancellor Mrs Merkel is a regular visitor to watch the national team and infact her popularity has soared as a result. Could this be a wining strategy for Mrs Clinton if she decides to run? just show up to watch the USA play soccer? its gotta be worth a shot and cheaper than TV adds. Heck we even like it when Princess Margarete turns up to watch us play rugby even though she has a silly accent, she has her own special seat at Murryfield in Edinburgh which I have also sat upon. Here is Mrs Merkel taking a selfie with Podolski.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sport/world-cup-2014/story/football-merkel-selfie-delights-germanys-podolski-20140617
  2. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    17 Jun '14 13:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    German Chancellor Mrs Merkel is a regular visitor to watch the national team and infact her popularity has soared as a result. Could this be a wining strategy for Mrs Clinton if she decides to run? just show up to watch the USA play soccer? its gotta be worth a shot and cheaper than TV adds. Heck we even like it when Princess Margarete turns up to ...[text shortened]... s.com/news/sport/world-cup-2014/story/football-merkel-selfie-delights-germanys-podolski-20140617
    It's different over here Robbie. Soccer, though very popular around the world, is looked upon in America as a "minor" sport. The NFL, NBA, and MLB are looked upon as American sports, and being a typical politican, Obama does not want to be seen as "un American" Frankly it's pretty silly to me, since American football and baseball are inferior by-products of European sports, and only basketball really American, but what can I say? America has always been 2-3 steps behind the rest of the world in this area.

Now I get to wait for the barrage of conservative whailings, telling me I'm a turncoat, and should be deported to the U.K. (Not a bad idea actually!)
  3. Standard member RBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    17 Jun '14 14:28 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by bill718
    It's different over here Robbie. Soccer, though very popular around the world, is looked upon in America as a "minor" sport. The NFL, NBA, and MLB are looked upon as American sports, and being a typical politican, Obama does not want to be seen as "un American" Frankly it's pretty silly to me, since American football and baseball are inferior by-products of ...[text shortened]... ings, telling me I'm a turncoat, and should be deported to the U.K. (Not a bad idea actually!)
    Sports Illustrated's last issue was Title, "Why the NHL's Hot and the NBA's Not." I myself will admit I liked basketball better, but I like hockey better now in days.
  4. 17 Jun '14 18:23
    Originally posted by bill718
    It's different over here Robbie. Soccer, though very popular around the world, is looked upon in America as a "minor" sport. The NFL, NBA, and MLB are looked upon as American sports, and being a typical politican, Obama does not want to be seen as "un American" Frankly it's pretty silly to me, since American football and baseball are inferior by-products of ...[text shortened]... ings, telling me I'm a turncoat, and should be deported to the U.K. (Not a bad idea actually!)
    No turncoat just a Europhile
  5. 17 Jun '14 20:32
    Originally posted by bill718 to Robbie Carrobie
    It's different over here Robbie. Soccer, though very popular around the world, is looked upon in America as a "minor" sport. The NFL, NBA, and MLB are looked upon as American sports, and being a typical politican, Obama does not want to be seen as "un American" Frankly it's pretty silly to me, since American football and baseball are infer ...[text shortened]... ings, telling me I'm a turncoat, and should be deported to the U.K. (Not a bad idea actually!)
    "Soccer ... is looked upon in America as a 'minor' sport."
    --Bill718

(Is soccer considered a major sport in Canada? I believe that ice hockey
    is really the only major sport in Canada!)

I don't know of any intrinsic bias against soccer in American capitalism.
    If professional soccer franchises could become as lucrative as those in
    professional (American) football, baseball, or basketball, I would expect the
    US media to embrace soccer just as much. For Americans, money talks.

"...American football and baseball are inferior by-products of European sports"
    --Bill718

Baseball has at least as much geographical and cultural diversity as cricket.
    Baseball is played by many Latin Americans (Cubans, Dominicans, Mexicans,
    etc.) and East Asians (Japanese, Koreans, Taiwanese), who have developed
    their own proud baseball traditions. Cricket is played in many, though not all,
    societies (Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, India, Pakistan, West Indies,
    etc.) that belonged to the British Empire.

Whether American football should be considered 'inferior' to rugby is a matter of taste.
    American football is a sport that reflects American corporate culture (with
    its emphasis upon empire-building and acquisition) in many ways. The
    quarterback may be compared to the CEO, and for a long time there was
    strong prejudice against having a black starting quarterback in the NFL because
    only white men were supposed to be intelligent enough for that position.

On the other hand, while the rest of the world follows Formula One in motor
    sport, most Americans prefer NASCAR, even though NASCAR vehicles seem
    not nearly as technically advanced as those in Formula One. I have heard
    Americans boasting that the top NASCAR drivers obviously must be the best
    in the world and easily capable of winning the Formula One championship if
    they decided to attempt it.

With regard to soccer, I have heard an American nationalistic hypothesis to
    the effect that if the most talented non-immigrant young Americans in some
    other sports could be compelled to play soccer instead, the USA should be
    able to dominate the World Cup. The assumption seems to be that the USA
    must have significantly more athletic talent on account of its large population
    and genetic diversity (a euphemism for more blacks and Latinos) than any
    other country. But the USA's large population and genetic diversity have
    not enabled it to come close to dominating in non-athletic fields such as chess.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    17 Jun '14 21:19
    Probably because it's a boring game.
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    17 Jun '14 21:56
    Originally posted by sh76
    Probably because it's a boring game.
    That's why he sent Biden.
  8. 17 Jun '14 22:43
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    "Soccer ... is looked upon in America as a 'minor' sport."
    --Bill718

(Is soccer considered a major sport in Canada? I believe that ice hockey
    is really the only major sport in Canada!)

I don't know of any intrinsic bias against soccer in American capitalism.
    If professional soccer franchises could become as lucrative as those in
    professional (A ...[text shortened]... diversity have
    not enabled it to come close to dominating in non-athletic fields such as chess.
    It isn't surprising there are different tastes in sports as in other things.

Baseball is like watching paint dry. It's appeal seems to be suspense.

Hockey and soccer, also have elements of suspense in that a single score may determine a game.

Basketball, Rugby, American football and others involve multiple scoring opportunities and seemingly more chances for game reversal. The pace is generally faster in these games.

Actually American style football is played professionally in Canada, and basketball is quite popular. Both baseball and basketball have Canadian franchises.
  9. 18 Jun '14 08:31 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by normbenign
    It isn't surprising there are different tastes in sports as in other things.

Baseball is like watching paint dry. It's appeal seems to be suspense.

Hockey and soccer, also have elements of suspense in that a single score may determine a game.

Basketball, Rugby, American football and others involve multiple scoring opportunities and seemingly m ...[text shortened]... Canada, and basketball is quite popular. Both baseball and basketball have Canadian franchises.
    the pace in American football can hardly be described a fast, infact i cannot think of any other field sport which has more stoppages than American football. Cannot say I have ever watched baseball and basketball is monotonous. Ice Hockey???

The point is that watching the national team is like the greatest and cheapest PR ever, the whole of the world (with the exception of America) is watching this eagerly. Obama should turn up with his face painted in the stars and stripes and he'd probably be so popular that he'd be able to defy the constitution and win a third term.
  10. 18 Jun '14 11:34
    nobody suggested that maybe the reason is that he has something better to do? like actual work?
  11. 18 Jun '14 11:50
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    nobody suggested that maybe the reason is that he has something better to do? like actual work?
    and Mrs Merkel has not?
  12. 18 Jun '14 15:22
    the pace in American football can hardly be described a fast, infact i cannot think of any other field sport which has more stoppages than American football. Cannot say I have ever watched baseball and basketball is monotonous. Ice Hockey???

The point is that watching the national team is like the greatest and cheapest PR ever, the whole of the w ...[text shortened]... and he'd probably be so popular that he'd be able to defy the constitution and win a third term.
    O'Reilly would be all over him painting him as a "softie" and a "European."
  13. 18 Jun '14 15:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    you think? i dunno dude, its hard to mess with American Patriotism. Obama, starts and stripe face paint, seen shaking hands with the American team with a selfie, singing the star spangled banner, golden eagle T-shirt, heck the social media servers would suffer a meltdown. I bet if America start to win well see Obama pile on the bandwaggon of patriotism.
  14. 18 Jun '14 16:14
    and Mrs Merkel has not?
    the situations are not equal. two employees with similar positions belonging to different companies don't have to have equal work. or identical work hours.
  15. 18 Jun '14 16:15
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    and now he can be all over him painting him as unpatriotic.