1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '18 23:041 edit
    After the circus has cleared, I think I know the real reason Kavanaugh was confirmed by the Swamp.

And no, he won't overturn Roe vs. Wade or rape anyone, LOL.

"The Nominee and Privacy
    The Fourth Amendment
    Judge Kavanaugh has authored a number of Fourth Amendment opinions which have consistently favored law enforcement and government surveillance over the privacy of individuals.

In Klayman v. Obama, Judge Kavanaugh went out of his way to set out theories to defend the suspicionless surveillance of the American public that surprised even conservative legal scholars. The case challenged the constitutionality of the National Security Agency's bulk collection of telephone metadata collection program, a program that collected call records of millions of Americans. Judge Kavanaugh issued an opinion in a decision to deny plaintiffs' emergency petition for rehearing en banc and determined that the government's "bulk collection of telephony data" is "entirely consistent with the Fourth Amendment." He set out two justifications: (1) the third-party doctrine, and (2) national security. The opinion was surprising because the denial of a petition for a rehearing en banc is a procedural matter, and rarely calls for an opinion by one of the panel members. In issuing an opinion as Judge Kavanaugh did, he not only broke with tradition but also set out views in defense of post 9-11 surveillance that no judge had previously stated. Judge Kavanaugh's tendency to elevate national security over individual privacy, in this case and broadly, may jeopardize important privacy protections established by the Supreme Court's Fourth Amendment precedents.

Judge Kavanaugh dissented in United States v. Maynard, a case that was later appealed to the Supreme Court under the name United States v. Jones. In Maynard, the D.C. Circuit majority held that the government's warrantless use of a global positioning system ("GPS"😉 device to track the public movements of an appellant's vehicle for approximately four weeks was an unreasonable search in violation of the Fourth Amendment. Judge Kavanaugh, dissenting from the court, noted that the police's initial installation of the GPS device on the appellant's car without a warrant raised an important question over whether that installation was an "unauthorized physical encroachment within a constitutionally protected area." He found this to be an "important question [that] deserves careful consideration" while dismissing the panel opinion's reliance on the amount of information obtained by the police as a "novel aggregation approach to Fourth Amendment analysis." Without regard to the vast stores of private data collected on users these days, however, serious privacy violations might happen with no Fourth Amendment redress.

In Wesby v. District of Columbia, Judge Kavanaugh dissented from a decision denying a petition for rehearing en banc and found that the police had probable cause to arrest a group of party-goers for trespassing when the police had no evidence about their state of mind. Writing for the majority in United States v. Burnett, Judge Kavanaugh determined that the police had probable cause to search a rental car for heroin based on defendants' travel activity. In United States v. Washington, he held that police officers had a reasonable fear for their safety during a traffic stop when defendants ran the stop sign, and that their search of defendants' car thus does not violate the Fourth Amendment.

Writing for the majority in a panel opinion in United States v. Askew, and dissenting from a rehearing en banc of the same case , Judge Kavanaugh found it reasonable for the police to unzip the jacket of a suspected armed robber to facilitate a show-up even though the unzipping would neither establish nor negate his identification as the robber. In United States v. Spencer, he ruled for the police and held that their search of defendant's house was permissible under the Fourth Amendment.

In all his authored Fourth Amendment opinions, Judge Kavanaugh has sided with government surveillance and police search without any exception, even when serious privacy violations exist. This disregard for Americans' privacy is a threat to our democracy and treasured civil liberties. It could also jeopardize the important privacy protections established by the Supreme Court's Fourth Amendment precedents.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    20 Oct '18 04:42
    @whodey said
    After the circus has cleared, I think I know the real reason Kavanaugh was confirmed by the Swamp.

"The Nominee and Privacy
    The Fourth Amendment
    Judge Kavanaugh has authored a number of Fourth Amendment opinions which have consistently favored law enforcement and government surveillance over the privacy of in ...[text shortened]... ze the important privacy protections established by the Supreme Court's Fourth Amendment precedents.
    What is your source of information?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Oct '18 08:35
    @metal-brain said
    What is your source of information?
    You are so totally a one-trick pony here.

You must've heard someone use this and you think it's the most genius thing since shoelaces.
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Oct '18 15:09
    One thing that irritates me about the Kavanaugh confirmation is that people completely forgot there were many reasons APART from the sexual assault allegations. Prior to Ford coming forward, Kavy kept dodging questions such as what possible deals he struck with Trump prior to being nominated. He was so evasive of so many questions, that alone exhibited why he was unfit for the highest court in the land.

But now, it seems that people have already forgotten that. People now think his qualifications for confirmation only boiled down to whether he was guilty of sexual assault or not, which was far from the truth.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    20 Oct '18 18:25
    I think the reason that Kavenaugh should have been rejected is his performance at the senate hearing.
    He's a liar, he's obnoxious and he disdainful in his arrogance.

Anyone with those personality traits should not be a judge and certainly not on the highest board of judges a country has.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Oct '18 18:56
    @whodey said

"The Nominee and Privacy
    The Fourth Amendment
    Judge Kavanaugh has authored a number of Fourth Amendment opinions which have consistently favored law enforcement and government surveillance over the privacy of in ...[text shortened]... ze the important privacy protections established by the Supreme Court's Fourth Amendment precedents.
    You seriously don't know why K was chosen by T? Hint: It has something to do with T getting a get out of jail free card. That is the ONLY reason T nominated K.
  7. Subscribermoonbusonline
    Ãœber-Nerd
    Moves
    21 Oct '18 10:07
    It just got weirder:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45928212

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree