Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 24 May '17 12:33 / 2 edits
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/the-targeting-of-women-and-girls-in-manchester-may-have-been-intentional/2017/05/23/e87d3f42-3fb8-11e7-b29f-f40ffced2ddb_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.64bfb7424fe9

MANCHESTER, England — At first, this one looked like all the others: randomly deadly, deliberately brutal.

In the last two years, mass killings claimed or inspired by the Islamic State have become a chilling reality in Western Europe: unexpected and impromptu truck attacks, bombings and shootings, in Paris, Brussels, Nice, Berlin and London. Manchester — where 22 were killed in an assault Monday outside a concert — seemed like just the latest chapter in a deadly saga that has claimed more than 300 lives.

But then there were the details. Among other things, this was a concert meant to celebrate female empowerment, and many of the victims were young British women there to take part. The first identified fatality was Georgina “Gina” Callander, 18.

If, as claimed, this attack was carried out by an adherent of the Islamic State, the targeting of women could have been intentional.

“It’s very well known that misogyny is deeply rooted in the radical Islamist worldview,” said Shashank Joshi, a senior research fellow at the Royal United Services Institute, a London-based think tank.


  2. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    24 May '17 13:12
    Originally posted by whodey
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/the-targeting-of-women-and-girls-in-manchester-may-have-been-intentional/2017/05/23/e87d3f42-3fb8-11e7-b29f-f40ffced2ddb_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.64bfb7424fe9

MANCHESTER, England — At first, this one looked like all the others: randomly deadly, deliberately brutal.

In the last two years, mass killings ...[text shortened]... of Sale
    Digital Products Terms of Sale
    Submissions and Discussion Policy
    RSS Terms of Service
    Really unreadable and your point gets missed because of all the whitespace.

I think it's more a protest against the young people "turning away from the church" and life becoming more secular, especially among western young adults. While it is entirely possible that you're right, I don't see it as an attack against women specifically.
  3. Standard member vivify
    rain
    24 May '17 13:49
    It makes sense. Grande's fan base is mostly female, though I don't get the "empowerment" part; she's really just a pop singer, who hasn't really given many feminist messages (as far as I know). I don't really see how a Grande concert is any threat to Islamic beliefs. If ISIS is really responsible for this attack, then it's just hatred of women, pure and simple.
  4. 24 May '17 15:42
    I'm not sure why this kind of stuff makes news anymore. It is common place and a natural result of allowing Islamists to immigrate to your country in large numbers.

Anyone with a brain could see it coming, so it must have been an intentional plan.
  5. Standard member vivify
    rain
    24 May '17 16:05
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I'm not sure why this kind of stuff makes news anymore. It is common place and a natural result of allowing Islamists to immigrate to your country in large numbers.

Anyone with a brain could see it coming, so it must have been an intentional plan.
    You're retarded. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, an organization reviled by most Muslims.
  6. 24 May '17 16:09
    Originally posted by vivify
    You're retarded. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, an organization reviled by most Muslims.
    So you are saying that the people doing the killing in Europe are not of Islamic immigrant origins?

Their region is a war zone for a reason. Bringing people from a war zone into your country just means you are allowing those to are causing the wars to continue fighting in your country.

You are blinded by your ideological beliefs. Poor blind person who thinks that this killing is just how things are supposed to be. It isn't anyone's fault, just part of life.
  7. 24 May '17 16:20
    Most?

What gets me is that in every country there are thousands of Muslims who are "watched" because they are suspect of possible terrorist activity.
  8. Standard member vivify
    rain
    24 May '17 16:26
    So you are saying that the people doing the killing in Europe are not of Islamic immigrant origins?

Their region is a war zone for a reason. Bringing people from a war zone into your country just means you are allowing those to are causing the wars to continue fighting in your country.

You are blinded by your ideological beliefs. Poor blind person who ...[text shortened]... this killing is just how things are supposed to be. It isn't anyone's fault, just part of life.
    ISIS is to Islam what the KKK is to Christianity.
    Al Qaeda is to Muslims what Nazis are to white people

Do we ban Christianity and whites based on the what the Klan and Nazis do?
  9. 24 May '17 16:52 / 1 edit
    ISIS is to Islam what the KKK is to Christianity.
    Al Qaeda is to Muslims what Nazis are to white people

Do we ban Christianity and whites based on the what the Klan and Nazis do?
    Really? How many terrorist attacks has the KKK done this year?

How many has ISIS done this year?

Compare, contrast, then watch your head explode along with your logic.
  10. Subscriber Proper Knob
    Cornovii
    24 May '17 17:50 / 1 edit
    Most?

What gets me is that in every country there are thousands of Muslims who are "watched" because they are suspect of possible terrorist activity.
    When did you get security clearance and become privy as to the number of Muslims the security services are watching?
  11. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    24 May '17 18:18 / 1 edit
    Most?

Islamaphobic police are not a great help in preventing the alienation of young muslims, like racist white police are a major handicap in supporting young black citizens.
  12. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    24 May '17 18:23 / 2 edits

You are blinded by your ideological beliefs. Poor blind person who ...[text shortened]... this killing is just how things are supposed to be. It isn't anyone's fault, just part of life.
    Correct. The people doing most of the killing in Europe have no connection whatsoever with Islam.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/omar-alnatour/muslims-are-not-terrorist_b_8718000.html

Yes their region is a war zone for a reason, for which the single term Western Imperialism is sufficient description.
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    24 May '17 19:35

How many KKK attacks are needed before we start banning whites and Christians?
  14. 24 May '17 19:48 / 3 edits
    It makes sense. Grande's fan base is mostly female, though I don't get the "empowerment" part; she's really just a pop singer, who hasn't really given many feminist messages (as far as I know). I don't really see how a Grande concert is any threat to Islamic beliefs. If ISIS is really responsible for this attack, then it's just hatred of women, pure and simple.
    Not being of her fans' typical generation, I had to look up Ariana Grande to find out who she is.
    How likely was it that an ISIS leader (who's probably more ignorant than I of Western pop culture)
    would have known that most of her fans are young females and targeted them only on account of it?

If ISIS did order (rather than just inspire) the attack, then I suspect the venue was chosen
    because it's a soft target, not particularly due to the demographics of the pop singer's fans.

"I don't see it as an attack against women specifically."
    --Suzianne
  15. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    24 May '17 20:25

https://www.thenation.com/article/lynching-university-maryland-campus/

"Make no mistake about it—this was a lynching, a lynching committed by a UMD student. A lynching 10 minutes from my .. house. Urbanski, as has been widely reported, is a member of a racist Facebook group called “Alt-Reich: Nation.” But that’s also not all he is. He’s a college student who grew up in the leafy suburban environs of Severna Park, Maryland. He hung out at Adele H. Stamp Student Union, studied at McKeldin Library, and wore his Baltimore Ravens gear around campus. He was not an interloper or an outsider. He is a homegrown terrorist who grew out of the soil of this college campus.

The sooner that the administration and the student body reckon with that reality, the better. The UMD campus has seen racist chalkings, nooses, flyers, and threats since Donald Trump took office. And yes, one would have to be willingly obtuse to not see a direct line from having open white supremacists in the Oval Office to the emboldening of the perpetrators—not just at UMD but, according to NPR reporting, at campuses across the country.

"Undergrad Brendan Sullivan captured a shared sentiment among students in a message to the school’s president on Facebook, writing, “Hey Wallace Loh, Through your failure to address racism, white supremacists, hate speech and violence against people of color you have created an atmosphere where racists are emboldened. Your milquetoast attitude to the racist flyers, calling hate speech ‘free speech’ and refusing to stand by immigrants, who you yourself are, has allowed this disease called racism to root itself in our university. We need courage, we need our administration to fearlessly fight for the lives of our students, ..."