Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Jan '16 20:44
    I was driving north on Sunday night so I missed the Democratic Party debate (it wasn't on any radio station in my range). I'm catching up.

But, as I've said, Hillary's portrayal of Bernie as a reliable vote for the gun lobby and as someone who wants to spread chaos in health care is absurd and insults our intelligence. This transcends "bare knuckled politics" and descends into just plain ridiculousness and seems desperate to me. Is her internal polling revealing something more than the public polls? Or does she just freak out with even the modest movement?

BTW, Hillary surrogate --Former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean-- has a lifetime "A" rating from the NRA. Sanders has a D minus which is pretty impressive as he represents the state with the most lax gun laws in the country. Yes, arguably the most liberal state in the nation has the most lax gun laws. Also happens to be the whitest state.

Imagine if the tables were turned and a candidate claiming to be a champion of civil liberties had a D rating from the ACLU. He or she would be laughed off the stage.

Some clips from the debate I missed on Sunday. Looks like Sanders has found his feistiness, without faux rage or nastiness. The clips are short and out of context, but they tell a story. She does have poise, I'll give her that. But I think most people have no idea what's her and what isn't. Not Bernie. He wears his whole persona on his sleeve - an open book.

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-01-18/report-card-confident-sanders-stands-toe-to-toe-with-clinton

This following article alone could be a game-changer - not because it says anything the alternative media hasn't been saying for months, but because it isn't alternative media saying it. This is CNN saying, "We didn't see Sanders coming because we were idiots." Sanders has been surging in recent weeks, and nobody really knows why because the media hasn't been paying attention. But maybe it's because it's been happening on the ground, in social media, and in those town hall meetings he's held with thousands of people that the media pundits were dismissing as irrelevant.

"Sanders, however, immediately began drawing thousands of supporters, and then tens of thousands, to his rallies. The media acknowledged the large crowds, but the Sanders campaign felt that pundits came up with endless ways to dismiss their importance.

"At every stop, the media had an explanation for why the crowds weren't significant," Weaver said. "5,000 people here? 'Oh, that's Bernie's home city.' New Hampshire, 'Oh, that's next door.' We went to Minneapolis and had 4,000 people -- 'Oh, well, that's the Frost Belt. Frost Belt people like him.' Then we went to Denver, and it was 'college liberals.'"

"Wherever we went, there was always an explanation about why what we were doing seemed to be significant, but really wasn't," Weaver said."

---

""The incredible and uncontrollable obsession with all things Trump has moved almost all of the scrutiny and focus to the GOP sideof the equation once Clinton survived the Benghazi hearing and Biden dropped out," Pfeiffer said.

When asked to explain why the media had failed to anticipate Sanders' rise, one political editor at a Washington news outlet replied: "We knew Hillary was going to win, and we went chasing after Donald Trump.""

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/18/politics/bernie-sanders-media/
  2. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    19 Jan '16 22:45
    And why that may not have been a bad thing for Bernie.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/01/19/bernie-sanders-wants-more-media-coverage-he-should-be-careful-what-he-wishes-for/
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jan '16 23:212 edits
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    I was driving north on Sunday night so I missed the Democratic Party debate (it wasn't on any radio station in my range). I'm catching up.

But, as I've said, Hillary's portrayal of Bernie as a reliable vote for the gun lobby and as someone who wants to spread chaos in health care is absurd and insults our intelligence. This transcends "bare knuckled polit ...[text shortened]... chasing after Donald Trump.""

You failed to mention Hillary Clinton's NRA rating while she was senator of New York. 😏

F
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jan '16 23:33
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You failed to mention Hillary Clinton's NRA rating while she was senator of New York. 😏
    I hope Hillary or Bernie wins so I can see you move to Mexico in disgust.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jan '16 23:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You evil person.
  6. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 01:08
    Originally posted by RJHinds

F
    Did she ever have anything other than an F?
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 01:24

But, as I've said, Hillary's portrayal of Bernie as a reliable vote for the gun lobby and as someone who wants to spread chaos in health care is absurd and insults our intelligence. This transcends "bare knuckled polit ...[text shortened]... chasing after Donald Trump.""

Perhaps. They didn't see Barack coming either. Actually, Bernie is closer than Barack was at this stage.
  8. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 01:26
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    HInds already lives in the best place on earth, my Birthplace.
  9. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 01:31
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Perhaps. They didn't see Barack coming either. Actually, Bernie is closer than Barack was at this stage.
    Yeah, but he had the black vote solidly behind him. South Carolina was HIS firewall. Now it's Clinton's.
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 03:05
    Did she ever have anything other than an F?
    Not sure.
  11. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 06:31

Back in 2008 Hillary, The Great Triangulator, tacked to the right of Obama on guns.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/04/12/clinton-touts-her-experience-with-guns/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/oct/5/clinton-gun-control-view-drastic-departure-2008/
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 06:391 edit
    The Sanders side-eye during the debate has been making the rounds in cyberspace:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-side-eye_us_569c5797e4b0ce496424e4a1

http://www.vocativ.com/news/272442/bernie-sanders-beautiful-side-eye-won-the-democratic-debate/
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 09:27
    Why the media didn't see Bernie Sanders coming
    You have it backwards. Media coverage depends on who the media thinks deserves coverage. Its a complicated mix of who the powers that be in the media want covered, and what the media thinks will sell well, and what they think is the 'in thing' that everyone else is covering and they mustn't miss out on.

Covering Bernie Sanders before he was popular just doesn't make sense for the media even if they did 'see him coming'.
  14. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    To the Left
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 12:161 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You have it backwards. Media coverage depends on who the media thinks deserves coverage. Its a complicated mix of who the powers that be in the media want covered, and what the media thinks will sell well, and what they think is the 'in thing' that everyone else is covering and they mustn't miss out on.

Covering Bernie Sanders before he was popular just doesn't make sense for the media even if they did 'see him coming'.
    Yes all the evidence confirms that the US enjoys free media unsullied by vested interests, reporting the weather and not making it, describing the actors objectively and not in caricatures, directing the public to the key issues and not distracting them with emotive and poisonous non issues. We know this is so because the American voters are so evidently politically savvy, balanced and considered in their deeply responsible participation in the political process. Let's be serious - it would be impossible to convince the voters in the world's largest, richest and best armed democracy that they were under existential threat from a buch of rag heads in the Syrian desert.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jan '16 14:44
    Bernie is the wave of the future for the US. Do you know why?

It's because governments are like stars. They just grow bigger, and bigger, and bigger, and bigger, until they either explode or implode on themselves. All you can hope for is that they don't collapse on themselves and form a black hole that sucks the life out of the universe around it.