Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 22 Nov '17 14:32 / 1 edit
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0195TInzs

    "Happy almost-Thanksgiving. What could be better than football and turkey? Well, there’s genocide and stuff, but we don’t want to ruin your holidays. Nope, we’ll leave that to the disingenuous folks who would like to pretend that there is absolutely nothing wrong with any American History not at all never. Enjoy your pie!"

    History, football, thanksgiving, racism, genocide. Fun subjects
  2. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    22 Nov '17 14:59
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0195TInzs

    "Happy almost-Thanksgiving. What could be better than football and turkey? Well, there’s genocide and stuff, but we don’t want to ruin your holidays. Nope, we’ll leave that to the disingenuous folks who would like to pretend that there is absolutely nothing wrong with any American History not at all never. Enjoy your pie!"

    History, football, thanksgiving, racism, genocide. Fun subjects
    Well, yeah... but most countries have wee skeletons in their closets... okay, admitedly, the Indian genocide might not quite fit into a closet...

    But, what about Guy Fawkes night? I mean celebrating a failed terrorist plot by throwing effigies of Catholics onto bonfires...

    The Dutch with their Black Peters (my take on this one, by the way, is: so long as I gets presents and chocolate, I don’t care which colour the bloody slaves are)?

    And the Belgians! I don’t what the hell they hide in closets, bit I’m pretty certain it’s god damned awful.
  3. 22 Nov '17 15:14
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Well, yeah... but most countries have wee skeletons in their closets... okay, admitedly, the Indian genocide might not quite fit into a closet...

    But, what about Guy Fawkes night? I mean celebrating a failed terrorist plot by throwing effigies of Catholics onto bonfires...

    The Dutch with their Black Peters (my take on this one, by the way, is: so l ...[text shortened]... gians! I don’t what the hell they hide in closets, bit I’m pretty certain it’s god damned awful.
    Probably "waffles".
  4. 22 Nov '17 15:31
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Well, yeah... but most countries have wee skeletons in their closets... okay, admitedly, the Indian genocide might not quite fit into a closet...

    But, what about Guy Fawkes night? I mean celebrating a failed terrorist plot by throwing effigies of Catholics onto bonfires...

    The Dutch with their Black Peters (my take on this one, by the way, is: so l ...[text shortened]... gians! I don’t what the hell they hide in closets, bit I’m pretty certain it’s god damned awful.
    whataboutism

    what "most countries" do has nothing to do with americans celebrating Columbus and his crimes. it is not something made normal if enough people engage in it.
  5. 22 Nov '17 15:41
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    whataboutism

    what "most countries" do has nothing to do with americans celebrating Columbus and his crimes. it is not something made normal if enough people engage in it.
    Thanksgiving is the best American holiday. It has no religious connotations. It involves food and friends and sports. You comfortably wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving because everyone celebrates.
    In fact, I'd like to take this moment to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
  6. 22 Nov '17 15:53
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    Thanksgiving is the best American holiday. It has no religious connotations. It involves food and friends and sports. You comfortably wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving because everyone celebrates.
    In fact, I'd like to take this moment to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
    a holiday that came to be as a celebration of the friendship the natives showed the pilgrims (effectively saving them from death). A friendship that was later betrayed in a horrible manner.
  7. 22 Nov '17 16:38
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    a holiday that came to be as a celebration of the friendship the natives showed the pilgrims (effectively saving them from death). A friendship that was later betrayed in a horrible manner.
    Stop trying to ruin the best holiday we have. Is your next thread going to be about how the Crusades ruined Christmas and/ or how commercialization ruins Christmas?
  8. Standard member vivify
    rain
    22 Nov '17 17:04 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @quackquack
    Thanksgiving is the best American holiday. It has no religious connotations. It involves food and friends and sports. You comfortably wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving because everyone celebrates.
    In fact, I'd like to take this moment to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
    I'd say the 4th of July is the best American holiday. That truly has no religious connotations, since the Thanksgiving originally involved Pilgrims, a highly religious and puritan group. That's why some people go around the table and tell everyone what they're thankful for (a tradition that highly annoys me).

    The 4th involves food and friends, though not so much sports, because most major American sports have either ended or have yet to begin. However, it happens during the summer, when the kids have vacations. So that means jumping in the pool and and kicking back with a Corona.

    Also, the 4th doesn't bring any pressure to dress formally, unlike Thanksgiving. Just shorts and a t-shirt. And, you can play any music you want, while on Thanksgiving, it's mostly just holiday music.
  9. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    22 Nov '17 17:08 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0195TInzs

    "Happy almost-Thanksgiving. What could be better than football and turkey? Well, there’s genocide and stuff, but we don’t want to ruin your holidays. Nope, we’ll leave that to the disingenuous folks who would like to pretend that there is absolutely nothing wrong with any American History not at all never. Enjoy your pie!"

    History, football, thanksgiving, racism, genocide. Fun subjects
    I prefer to amuse myself, watching my wife and sister in law jockey for position in front of the TV to watch the property brothers, then both pretend it's really to further their knowledge about home improvements. Yeah, right ladies! I'm looking forward to some good food, joining RHP on Jan 1st as a supporting member, and entering a long haul split tournament.

    As far as the racism, sexism, genocide etc. we have to ask ourselves, when has this NOT been with us?
  10. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    22 Nov '17 17:16
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Well, yeah... but most countries have wee skeletons in their closets... okay, admitedly, the Indian genocide might not quite fit into a closet...

    But, what about Guy Fawkes night? I mean celebrating a failed terrorist plot by throwing effigies of Catholics onto bonfires...

    The Dutch with their Black Peters (my take on this one, by the way, is: so l ...[text shortened]... gians! I don’t what the hell they hide in closets, bit I’m pretty certain it’s god damned awful.
    They have black peters? Wow, I thought they were mostly white

    BTW, one stat I just found out about, black women in the US are 300% more likely to die in hospital than white women and the death rate of newborns are bad to abysmal and growing, where the record in the US for childbirth death is right up there with some 3rd world countries and it seems to be directly attributable to millions of people not getting health care, the health system in the US is essentially broken. Of course if you have insurance you are wealthy healthwise but a street person? I have insurance now but there was a time when I needed an operation and had zero insurance, in Los Angeles.

    I got a half assed operation by 1st year residents and when the procedure was done I was kicked out forthwith and was in pain and woozy and tried to sit down on the steps of the hospital only to have guards come up and tell me I couldn't rest there, I was in a bad way and all they saw was another street person attempting to rest at hospital expense, where I was on the staircase, I guess I was stopping REAL people from entering and exiting. Yessir, GREAT system we have.
  11. 22 Nov '17 17:20
    Originally posted by @vivify
    I'd say the 4th of July is the best American holiday. That truly has no religious connotations, since the Thanksgiving originally involved Pilgrims, a highly religious and puritan group. That's why some people go around the table and tell everyone what they're thankful for (a tradition that highly annoys me).

    The 4th involves food and friends, though no ...[text shortened]... t. And, you can play any music you want, while on Thanksgiving, it's mostly just holiday music.
    I like the 4th of July too for many of the same reasons I like Thanksgiving so if that's your favorite it's an excellent choice. I don't formally dress for Thanksgiving and I certainly don't think think about the Puritans on Thanksgiving just like I don't think about the all the people who died in the Revolutionary War on the 4th of July.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    22 Nov '17 19:43
    YouTube : Brief History USA

    They like to think they were the white people who discovered America and it annoys them to no end that it was really Hispanics.
  13. 22 Nov '17 20:11 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @quackquack to Zahlanzi
    Thanksgiving is the best American holiday. It has no religious connotations. It involves food and friends and sports. You comfortably wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving because everyone celebrates.
    In fact, I'd like to take this moment to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
    "...a Happy Thanksgiving because everyone celebrates."
    --Quackquack

    Not every American celebrates the dishonest white-washing of US history.

    http://www.finalcall.com/artman/publish/National_News_2/article_8344.shtml

    "Native Americans explain why "Thanksgiving"holiday is celebration of genocide."

    "“We’re certainly not against giving thanks. As indigenous people we give thanks every day ...
    The issue here with the Thanksgiving holiday as celebrated in the United States is that it
    perpetuates this myth that the wonderful Pilgrims came here from Europe and were so
    kind and good to the Native people who were here and lived happily ever after,” said
    Mahtowin Munro, co-leader of the United American Indians of New England."

    "“Even when you look at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, they don’t even showcase
    the Native American issue. They focus more on balloons, Broadway plays, and even bring
    out a big, ole’ turkey, but they don’t show Native Americans and their influence on America,” she said."
  14. 22 Nov '17 20:29
    Originally posted by @zahlanzi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0195TInzs

    "Happy almost-Thanksgiving. What could be better than football and turkey? Well, there’s genocide and stuff, but we don’t want to ruin your holidays. Nope, we’ll leave that to the disingenuous folks who would like to pretend that there is absolutely nothing wrong with any American History not at all never. Enjoy your pie!"

    History, football, thanksgiving, racism, genocide. Fun subjects
    How bout turkey genocide? At least trump pardoned one. I'm cooking two. And a ham. What about the pork lives matter?
  15. Standard member vivify
    rain
    22 Nov '17 20:57
    I just realized that except for deli meat, I don't eat turkey at any other time of the year. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a cooked turkey in my lifetime except on Thanksgiving.