Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1407
    16 Jun '18 16:372 edits
    Interesting articles below.

    The answer, broadly, is that those with post-graduate degrees are more likely to understand the complex and interdependent nature of a modern economy, and the way that prosperity is dependent on factors like an educated workforce, good transit systems, and new scientific breakthroughs, such as those of low cost solar and wind power.

    As well, some slice of the very educated have seen or benefited from government investments personally -- for example, doctors participating in research funded by the National Institutes for Health or techies who know the important role that government played in creating the Internet or lawyers who zip back and forth along the "Acela Corridor" and envy the faster trains in Europe and Asia. In addition, The most educated Americans tend to have grown up, and live in, culturally liberal metropolitan areas, where the knowledge economy jobs are.





    http://www.demos.org/blog/why-most-educated-americans-vote-democratic

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/27/upshot/trump-losing-college-educated-whites-he-never-won-them-in-the-first-place.html
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    16 Jun '18 16:532 edits
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Interesting articles below.

    The answer, broadly, is that those with post-graduate degrees are more likely to understand the complex and interdependent nature of a modern economy, and the way that prosperity is dependent on factors like an educated workforce, good transit systems, and new scientific breakthroughs, such as those of low cost solar and wind p ...[text shortened]... 2018/02/27/upshot/trump-losing-college-educated-whites-he-never-won-them-in-the-first-place.html
    Educated people, minorities, LGBT, Muslims, and non-religious people tend to vote Democratic. Quite a diverse group compared to Reps, comprised mostly of uneducated white Christians.
  3. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Joined
    30 Apr '17
    Moves
    3849
    16 Jun '18 17:08
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Interesting articles below.

    The answer, broadly, is that those with post-graduate degrees are more likely to understand the complex and interdependent nature of a modern economy, and the way that prosperity is dependent on factors like an educated workforce, good transit systems, and new scientific breakthroughs, such as those of low cost solar and wind p ...[text shortened]... 2018/02/27/upshot/trump-losing-college-educated-whites-he-never-won-them-in-the-first-place.html
    First of all, wealthy elites who aren't business owners often vote democrat because they feel guilty for their success and seek to absolve themselves by voting in legislation that appears to favor the poor and disadvantaged.

    Also, many people with post-graduate degrees leave college with mounds of debt, even hundreds of thousands. Of course they are going to vote for the party that claims to give them relief from the debt or even wipe it out entirely.

    In addition, it is a known fact that the vast majority of college professors and high ranking officers are extremely liberal and progressive, and because of this they feel compelled to push their point of view on the students--supposedly for the students' own good. As a result, a good many college graduates--especially ones with post-graduate degrees who experience 6 to 8+ years of this inodctrination--leave the college with a liberal progressive view.

    Studies also show that the older you get, the more likely you are to vote Republican. The take away from that is, once you experience enough of REAL life and begin to take on responsibilities like car payments, mortgages, saving for your childrens' educations... you finally realize that things like individual liberty, take home pay, a healthy job market and economy are extremely important in your life.
  4. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    16 Jun '18 17:19
    Because of my work I meet academics from all over the world, and there is a great diversity of viewpoints, ideologies etc. among them.

    The fact that almost all educated Americans vote for the Democrats isn't because the Democrats are great (they aren't) or because their policy proposals are particularly strong (they aren't), but because their opponents are Republicans.
  5. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Joined
    30 Apr '17
    Moves
    3849
    16 Jun '18 17:41
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Because of my work I meet academics from all over the world, and there is a great diversity of viewpoints, ideologies etc. among them.
    Well if you met mostly people in academia at ivy league or highly esteemed universities in the USA, your observation would be far different.

    My sister in law is a tenured English professor at Wisconsin University. She is an extremist, activist Liberal progressive™ feminist. And she speaks regularly of all the professors at the university that think just like she does. She speaks (horribly) of only one person there who has Conservative views, and that person isn't even a professor, she is an assistant to the staff.
  6. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1407
    16 Jun '18 18:156 edits
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    First of all, wealthy elites who aren't business owners often vote democrat because they feel guilty for their success and seek to absolve themselves by voting in legislation that appears to favor the poor and disadvantaged.

    Also, many people with post-graduate degrees leave college with mounds of debt, even hundreds of thousands. Of course they are ...[text shortened]... l liberty, take home pay, a healthy job market and economy are extremely important in your life.
    First of all, wealthy elites who aren't business owners often vote democrat because they feel guilty for their success and seek to absolve themselves by voting in legislation that appears to favor the poor and disadvantaged.





    100% Incorrect. Well educated folks vote Democrat because understand the details of macro economics. I am a business owner I know that doing away with poverty makes good business sense. By starving a percentage of our population, we're starving a percentage of our customer base. Upper middle class folks buy many goods and services, lower middle class folks buy few, and poverty stricken people buy none. This has been proven many times in the real world as well as in the classroom.


    Please stop listening to idiots on FOX news idiots like Larry Kudlow, who've never built or owned a business of their own, yet dispense "so called" business and economic advice to the weak minded. Oh, by the way. He also battles cocaine and alcohol addiction. He does however suck up to Trump, so I'm not surprised he became an economic advisor. Frankly Trump would do better listening to a kid who operates a profitable lemonade stand.


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Kudlow
  7. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Joined
    30 Apr '17
    Moves
    3849
    16 Jun '18 19:08
    Originally posted by @mchill
    By starving a percentage of our population, we're starving a percentage of our customer base.
    Right, because as we all know, Republicans want a percentage of our population to starve and die.
  8. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    16 Jun '18 19:24
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey to Mchill
    Right, because as we all know, Republicans want a percentage of our population to starve and die.
    The Republican Party certainly wants a large proportion (typically poor or non-white people)
    of the US population to not vote.
  9. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    16 Jun '18 21:48
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Interesting articles below.

    The answer, broadly, is that those with post-graduate degrees are more likely to understand the complex and interdependent nature of a modern economy, and the way that prosperity is dependent on factors like an educated workforce, good transit systems, and new scientific breakthroughs, such as those of low cost solar and wind p ...[text shortened]... 2018/02/27/upshot/trump-losing-college-educated-whites-he-never-won-them-in-the-first-place.html
    In this international forum, I would like to make clear the the tag 'Liberal Democratic' does
    not have the same meaning everywhere else that it apparently does in the USA.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_Democratic_Party_(Japan)

    "The Liberal Democratic Party of Japan... is a conservative political party in Japan."
  10. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Joined
    30 Apr '17
    Moves
    3849
    16 Jun '18 21:56
    Originally posted by @duchess64
    The Republican Party certainly wants a large proportion (typically poor or non-white people)
    of the US population to not vote.
    Republican party members want all citizens to legally participate in the voting process. To be sure, the Republican politicians who want to hold on to their power would benefit from fewer members of special interest groups casting votes. Not because Republicans hate them or wish them ill will. But because the Democrats make false promises to those voters and take advantage of their situations--resulting in almost all of them voting Democrat. 50+ years of the Democrat "war on poverty" and more people are in poverty today than when it started. This is proof positive that the Democrats have no intention of lifting anyone out of poverty--which stands to reason because the fewer people in poverty, the fewer people the Democrats can bribe for votes.
  11. Germany
    Joined
    27 Oct '08
    Moves
    3118
    16 Jun '18 21:58
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Well if you met mostly people in academia at ivy league or highly esteemed universities in the USA, your observation would be far different.

    My sister in law is a tenured English professor at Wisconsin University. She is an extremist, activist Liberal progressive™ feminist. And she speaks regularly of all the professors at the university that think ...[text shortened]... as Conservative views, and that person isn't even a professor, she is an assistant to the staff.
    Does it not concern you that nearly all experts on socio-economic policy say that the Democratic platform and execution thereof is superior to the Republican one? What if the experts are right, and the people who don't know what they are talking about are wrong?
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    16 Jun '18 21:59
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey

    In addition, it is a known fact that the vast majority of college professors and high ranking officers are extremely liberal and progressive,
    Why are all these smart people liberals?
    Duh.
  13. SubscriberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Joined
    30 Apr '17
    Moves
    3849
    16 Jun '18 22:00
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    Why are all these smart people liberals?
    Duh.
    So only the smartest people choose a career in education. Right.
  14. Zugzwang
    Joined
    08 Jun '07
    Moves
    2120
    16 Jun '18 22:07
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    Republican party members want all citizens to legally participate in the voting process. To be sure, the Republican politicians who want to hold on to their power would benefit from fewer members of special interest groups casting votes. Not because Republicans hate them or wish them ill will. But because the Democrats make false promises to those vot ...[text shortened]... reason because the fewer people in poverty, the fewer people the Democrats can bribe for votes.
    "To be sure, the Republican politicians who want to hold on to their power would benefit
    from fewer members of special interest groups casting votes."
    --Tom Wolsey

    So Tom Wolsey apparently believes that poor people and non-white people are
    'members of special interests groups' while rich white people are not, right?
  15. Standard memberSoothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    Planet Rain
    Joined
    04 Mar '04
    Moves
    2445
    16 Jun '18 23:05
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    In addition, it is a known fact that the vast majority of college professors and high ranking officers are extremely liberal and progressive, and because of this they feel compelled to push their point of view on the students--supposedly for the students' own good...
    Okay, Einstein...now, why do you reckon professors are progressive? And don't say it's because they were brain-washed by the previous generation of profs, as that's merely kicking the can down the road. And please don't say it's because the two words start with the same prefix.
Back to Top