Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 28 Aug '17 18:42 / 1 edit
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/houston-mayor-defends-decision-issue-evacuation-order/story?id=49453471

    Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner argued on Sunday that an evacuation of Harris County, which is seeing "unprecedented" flooding in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, would have led to a far worse calamity for area residents.

    "If you think the situation right now is bad, you give an order to evacuate, you are creating a nightmare. Especially when it's not planned," Turner said during an update Sunday on the city's response to Harvey.

    He argued that an evacuation order has to be "very well coordinated all the way from Houston to the destination point."



    Harvey: 'Unprecedented' flooding 'beyond anything expected' inundates Houston area, at least 3 dead





    Rescuers scramble to save Hurricane Harvey survivors in Houston and across southeastern Texas



    "If you do it or attempt to do it and it's not coordinated, not done right, you are literally putting people in harm's way, and you're creating a far worse situation," he said.

    Turner, who was elected in 2015, stood by his decision not to issue an evacuation order for Houston because, while the city anticipated a lot of rain, the city was not in Harvey's direct path.

    He said that because of the flooding, every neighborhood would have to be evacuated, which is "dangerous."

    "You cannot put, in the city of Houston, 2.3 million people on the road. That is dangerous," Turner said. "When you combine Houston and Harris County, you literally cannot put 6.5 million people on the road."

    He said the best place for people is to be in their homes.

    Hurricane Harvey, which weakened to a tropical storm by Saturday afternoon, has led to record levels of rainfall in the Houston area and has so far left three people dead.
  2. 28 Aug '17 18:44
    So are the people of Houston better off not being evacuated?
  3. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    28 Aug '17 18:52
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So are the people of Houston better off not being evacuated?
    Yes
  4. 28 Aug '17 19:00
    Originally posted by @caissad4
    Yes
    So they are better off sitting on their roof topes awaiting to be rescued by helicopters in strong winds?

    Do tell.
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Aug '17 19:20
    Originally posted by @whodey
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/houston-mayor-defends-decision-issue-evacuation-order/story?id=49453471

    Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner argued on Sunday that an evacuation of Harris County, which is seeing "unprecedented" flooding in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, would have led to a far worse calamity for area residents.

    "If you think the situation right ...[text shortened]... has led to record levels of rainfall in the Houston area and has so far left three people dead.
    Mr. States Rights is criticizing the decisions of local elected officials?

    I wonder why.
  6. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    28 Aug '17 19:23
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So they are better off sitting on their roof topes awaiting to be rescued by helicopters in strong winds?

    Do tell.
    Hindsight is always 20/20. Apparently the Houstonians, who deal with copious amounts on a regular basis, did not feel any need to evacuate.
    You cannot be suggesting the Big Brother should have ordered them to evacuate ?
  7. 28 Aug '17 20:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @caissad4
    Hindsight is always 20/20. Apparently the Houstonians, who deal with copious amounts on a regular basis, did not feel any need to evacuate.
    You cannot be suggesting the Big Brother should have ordered them to evacuate ?
    I heard before the storm hit how bad it was going to be.

    A better question might be, don't people watch the news?

    Obviously, the mayor did not or perhaps he thought it was fake news.

    So your hindsight tells you that the people should have not evacuated or should they have done so?
  8. Standard member caissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    28 Aug '17 21:08
    Originally posted by @whodey
    I heard before the storm hit how bad it was going to be.

    A better question might be, don't people watch the news?

    Obviously, the mayor did not or perhaps he thought it was fake news.

    So your hindsight tells you that the people should have not evacuated or should they have done so?
    Hindsight is always 20/20. We all make choices and live with the consequences. Have you ever driven in Houston during rush hour ?? I have. Two million people on the road could have been a much greater disaster.
  9. 28 Aug '17 21:18 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @caissad4
    Hindsight is always 20/20. We all make choices and live with the consequences. Have you ever driven in Houston during rush hour ?? I have. Two million people on the road could have been a much greater disaster.
    Do you think that is why the Mayor of New Orleans also refused to evacuate?

    In fact, does that mean that an evacuation of a major city is impossible?
  10. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    28 Aug '17 22:59
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Do you think that is why the Mayor of New Orleans also refused to evacuate?

    In fact, does that mean that an evacuation of a major city is impossible?
    Why should the gov'mint be responsible for this?

    Houston does not exist. There are only individuals.

    People are responsible for their own choices.

    The market will sort things out in no time at all.
  11. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    28 Aug '17 23:56 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @caissad4
    Hindsight is always 20/20. We all make choices and live with the consequences. Have you ever driven in Houston during rush hour ?? I have. Two million people on the road could have been a much greater disaster.
    Houston surpassed Phoenix in size several years back, but the two cities are similar in that they are spread out with a huge metro area. I can't imagine if this had happened in Phoenix after an evacuation order. Many more would now be dead on the stalled and flooded freeway system. In this case, with the unexpectedly stalled hurricane, an evacuation order would have resulted in many more deaths.

    Frankly, I find it miraculous that only 3 have died so far.
  12. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    29 Aug '17 09:49 / 1 edit
    Slightly awesome to watch natural selection working itself out in real time as Texas heads for its own Darwin Awards omnibus edition, but could it happen to nicer people?

    "Naturally, a congressional relief package will be forthcoming. Which means it's time to turn to another round of Southern Republicans Who Voted Against the Hurricane Sandy Relief Package but Will Soon Want Federal Disaster Money for Their Flooded Homes. (Previous contestants included the congressional delegations of Florida and Louisiana.)

    This time the spotlight is on Texas, where 20 sitting Republican congressmen and both of the states senators, John Cornyn and Ted Cruz, voted against the 2013 Sandy Relief Act. (Ironically, in the 2011–2012 fiscal year, Texas received more federal disaster relief money than any other state.)

    .....At the time, conservatives also insisted on cuts to federal spending elsewhere to justify Sandy expenses, an unusual and onerous requirement for a disaster aid bill. (This was during the pre-"Mexico Will Pay for It" era, when the national debt was still a serious GOP conceit.) “Emergency bills like this should not come to the floor without offsets to pay for it or structural reforms,” Rep. Jeb Hensarling of Texas said."


    http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2017/08/28/flashback_20_texas_gop_representatives_and_both_senators_voted_against_the.html?utm_content=inf_84_2641_2&wpsrc=socialedge&tse_id=INF_0b3f64808c4711e7a7253d7eefa2109b
  13. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    29 Aug '17 10:24 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by @finnegan
    Slightly awesome to watch natural selection working itself out in real time as Texas heads for its own Darwin Awards omnibus edition, but could it happen to nicer people?

    finnegan has obviously never been to Texas.

    You sure are one bitter and twisted sick bastard.
  14. 29 Aug '17 10:29
    Originally posted by @wajoma
    Never been to Texas obviously.

    You sure are one bitter and twisted sick bastrad.
    I think it made Fins day knowing that Americans are suffering, and not just Americans, Texans are suffering who are the worst of the worst.
  15. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    29 Aug '17 12:20
    Originally posted by @whodey
    So are the people of Houston better off not being evacuated?
    It'a God's wrath.