Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Sep '10 15:47
    http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/republicans-have-one-in-four-chance-to-claim-senate-majority-model-shows/#more-739

    The other hurdle is more tangible: there are a series of competitive Republican primaries, in which candidates supported by the Tea Party are pitted against more moderate alternatives.

    In Delaware, for instance, Christine O’Donnell — who has the Tea Party’s support — could defeat Representative Michael N. Castle in the primary there next week. Mr. Castle, Delaware’s former governor and its lone representative in the House, would be a clear favorite against his Democratic opponent, Chris Coons. But Mr. Coons would be favored to defeat Ms. O’Donnell, making Republicans’ prospects of a Senate takeover considerably more remote.

    And in the New Hampshire G.O.P. primary next week, Kelly Ayotte, the popular former attorney general, could lose to any of a number of conservative candidates whose general election chances are more tenuous.

    A primary victory by Ms. O’Donnell, or a loss by Ms. Ayotte, would echo the outcome in Alaska last month, where Joe Miller, a former United States magistrate judge, surprised the incumbent, Lisa Murkowski, in the Republican primary. (Although some polls have shown Mr. Miller’s Democratic opponent, Scott McAdams, making the race competitive, the model is skeptical that a Democrat can prevail in a state like Alaska in such a difficult cycle for the party.)


    I will say this. If Castle and Ayotte are primaried, I will seriously consider leaving the Republican party to become an Independent. Castle will win in a romp if he is nominated and Ayotte would be a big favorite as well. Why is there a need to expunge all moderates from the party of Nelson Rockefeller, Dwight Eisenhower and yes, Abraham Lincoln?

    To all the people who consider themselves Tea Partiers on this board, which would you rather have in the Senate:

    a) 95% chance of a moderate republican; 5% chance of a democrat

    b) 30% chance of a Tea Partier; 70% chance of a Democrat

    ?
  2. 12 Sep '10 15:51
    Arlen Specter is the poster boy for moderate Republicans.
  3. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Sep '10 16:01
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Arlen Specter is the poster boy for moderate Republicans.
    Arlen specter is a Democrat.

    If you want a "poster boy," try Scott Brown, or poster girls Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins. Judd Gregg and Charlie Crist were also good examples.
  4. 12 Sep '10 16:07
    Originally posted by sh76
    Arlen specter is a Democrat.

    If you want a "poster boy," try Scott Brown, or poster girls Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins. Judd Gregg and Charlie Crist were also good examples.
    Yes he is. How many years was he a moderate Republican?
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Sep '10 16:11
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Yes he is. How many years was he a moderate Republican?
    A long time. So what? He's over 80 years old and his political career is over. Why would anyone use him as a current example of anything?
  6. 12 Sep '10 16:12
    If Obama wins the 2012 election, the Tea Party will probably be the main reason.
  7. 12 Sep '10 16:16
    Originally posted by sh76
    A long time. So what? He's over 80 years old and his political career is over. Why would anyone use him as a current example of anything?
    He's a poster boy for moderate Republicans. They are Democrats that for some reason run as Republicans.
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Sep '10 16:32
    Originally posted by Eladar
    They are Democrats that for some reason run as Republicans.
    Would a real Democrat drive this?

    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kVr-BhNiU7I/S1SfeaiSqhI/AAAAAAAABEE/KnjuaxQOfc4/s1600-h/scott-brown-gmc-canyon-300x171.jpg
  9. 12 Sep '10 16:36
    Of course he would. Real Democrats like Al Gore drive around in SUV's! I believe the Cadillac Escalade was Al Gore's SUV of choice.
  10. 12 Sep '10 19:35 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/republicans-have-one-in-four-chance-to-claim-senate-majority-model-shows/#more-739

    [quote]The other hurdle is more tangible: there are a series of competitive Republican primaries, in which candidates supported by the Tea Party are pitted against more moderate alternatives.

    In Delaware, for instance, Chr ...[text shortened]... blican; 5% chance of a democrat

    b) 30% chance of a Tea Partier; 70% chance of a Democrat

    ?
    I would catergorize "W" as a moderate. After all, he was only conservative in terms of low taxes and abortion. Other than that he was a flaming liberal. In addition, that is exactly why Obama now sits in the Oval Office. After all, it was not the Tea Party who brought you the destruction of the Republican party, which is exactly what this post is about.

    Of course, the amazing thing is that there is not much difference between Obama and "W". Neither want to raise taxes yet increase spending dramatically. Of course, Obama favors the abortion industry. I suppose that is one difference between them. In fact, he helps export the abortion industry to other countries like Kenya.
  11. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    12 Sep '10 19:54
    Originally posted by sh76
    http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/07/republicans-have-one-in-four-chance-to-claim-senate-majority-model-shows/#more-739

    [quote]The other hurdle is more tangible: there are a series of competitive Republican primaries, in which candidates supported by the Tea Party are pitted against more moderate alternatives.

    In Delaware, for instance, Chr ...[text shortened]... blican; 5% chance of a democrat

    b) 30% chance of a Tea Partier; 70% chance of a Democrat

    ?
    Yep the old split vote argument, people should sell out their principles so the other guy doesn't get in. Rests on the theory that people don't actually vote pollies in but vote to get the last kock up out. Happens everywhere, nevermind who gets in just get the last lot out.

    I'd say this is exactly what the Tea Party movement is about, the main parties start losing support, they look around "Guys, where did all our support go?" when they see the growing Tea party movement they start to ease over in that direction to try to get them back. Dems leaning towards big guvamint control freak greenies, and, one hopes the Reps leaning towards the more freedom/smaller government Tea party. That's why we see the main parties so close to each others position. Examples can be seen in Aus and NZ, they're making adjustments all the time chasing power rather than having their own well defined position and sticking to it. Wavering all around trying to reign in the fringes but also get close to what the other major party is doing too in order to tempt a few over from the other side.

    A bunch of whores.

    This is also why organisations like the Libertarians and the Tea party must stick to principle and not sell out like the watermelons.
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    It's only business
    12 Sep '10 19:55
    If the Libertarians stuck to principle I'd still be one. Unfortunately they aren't too interested in the logical consequences of the Right to Property.
  13. 12 Sep '10 19:55
    I put trust in the American virtue of voting against someone in this election. It doesn't matter who the Republicans put up, the US hates Obama so much the R will get the seat.
  14. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    12 Sep '10 19:57
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    If the Libertarians stuck to principle I'd still be one. Unfortunately they aren't too interested in the logical consequences of the Right to Property.
    You were never a libertarian.
  15. Standard member MacSwain
    Who is John Galt?
    12 Sep '10 20:45 / 2 edits
    I base this on what I have, and everyone who has bothered to follow the pulse of the American public, observed in American press over the past 15 months. Unless there is celestial intervention, at this point the only way Obama could win another term is if the Republicans nominated another so called moderate (socialist leaning) candidate for the office. Such as: McCain, Bennet, Giuliani, Romney, Huckabee, Kyl, Martinez, Craig, Lugar, Lott, Hagel, etc.. Obama's second term in office is out of his control, it is entirely in the hands of those attending the Republican nominating convention.

    EDIT: Watch closely in 2011 & 2012 and you will find the Democrats will not be lauding the unpopular bills they have passed over these past 18 months. Instead they will be putting every effort into making the Republicans afraid to nominate a truly conservative candidate with true conservative credentials and convince them to nominate a "moderate." instead. If they are successful the voting public will turn on them in the same way they turned on Bush in '08. It's their only hope.

    You will see never ending headings in newspapers, and cable news worded much like the heading of this thread, designed to plant the seed of doubt and make Republicans forget the hundreds of thousands of people who turned out for all those rallies to indicate to the US House of Lords they wish a change in direction.