Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 28 Jan '17 01:44
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/27/the-guardian-view-on-the-trump-may-meeting-they-are-playing-with-fire

"The Guardian view on the Trump-May meeting: they are playing with fire."

"The main danger facing any British prime minister in the relationship
    with America is hubris. Pushed by the press and fired by Britain’s
    seemingly indestructible institutional desire to be loved by America,
    prime ministers feel the need to seize first friend status and hug it
    close. Sometimes, however, this can become a destructive desire, as
    Tony Blair found in his relationship with George W Bush. These visits
    ought not to matter too much. But they do. Mrs May will feel that she
    did well. All of us are glad it is now over. In the end, though, Mr Trump
    is the master of his own fate and, if Mrs May is not careful, he will be
    master of hers as well."

This reminds me of seeing a foolish needy woman plunge headlong
    into a fantasized relationship with an untrustworthy abusive man.
  2. 28 Jan '17 01:52
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/27/the-guardian-view-on-the-trump-may-meeting-they-are-playing-with-fire

seemingly in ...[text shortened]... h needy woman plunge headlong
    Not sure if there is room. Trump already has Romney on his knees.
  3. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    28 Jan '17 07:13
    And Trump's already Putin's bitch.

Crazy old world.
  4. 28 Jan '17 08:08
    This reminds me of seeing a foolish needy woman plunge headlong
    Hilarious that the most anti-sexist poster on the forum came up with this highly sexist comment.
  5. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    28 Jan '17 08:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Hilarious that the most anti-sexist poster on the forum came up with this highly sexist comment.
    What's sexist about the comment?
  6. 28 Jan '17 09:00 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    What's sexist about the comment?
    She saw two heads of state and made a judgement based on their relative sexes. I doubt she would have said the same thing if it had been Tony Blair.
  7. Subscriber mchill
    cryptogram
    28 Jan '17 09:09

I was hoping Duchess would be Donald Trump's lapdog.
  8. 28 Jan '17 09:40

Untrustworthy abusive WHITE man. FIFY
  9. 28 Jan '17 12:41
    Originally posted by kquinn909
    Untrustworthy abusive WHITE man. FIFY
    Yes, but May is a Racist White Female.

All those RACIST WHITE PEOPLE.
  10. 28 Jan '17 20:06
    Originally posted by twhitehead to Shavixmir
    She saw two heads of state and made a judgement based on their relative sexes.
    I doubt she would have said the same thing if it had been Tony Blair.
    "... made a judgement based on their relative sexes."
    --Twhitehead

I was disgusted by Theresa May's fawning over Donald Trump, perhaps even more
    than I was disgusted by Tony Blair's fawning over George W Bush. I have no doubt
    that Theresa May's aware of Donald Trump's record of abusive conduct toward women.
    I understand that a UK Prime Minister must deal with a US President, but Theresa May
    could have kept their dealings to 'strictly business' and kept some distance from Donald Trump.

I already have criticized Theresa May's hypocritical condemning US President Obama
    for not vetoing a UN resolution condemning Israel's illegal building of Jewish settlements
    in the West Bank when the UK government had voted in favour of that resolution.
    I suspect that Theresa May did that in order to pander toward US President-elect Trump.

In real life, I have known some women who stay in abusive relationships with men and
    heard their rationalizations. (It's less common for men to stay in abusive relationships with women.)
    I hope that Theresa May will wake up when the reality of being close to Donald Trump hits her.
  11. 28 Jan '17 21:10
    I was disgusted by Theresa May's fawning over Donald Trump,
    Sure, be disgusted. But that doesn't excuse the highly sexist comment in the OP. You might want to consider that at least some of your disgust at her is because she is a woman and not because of anything she actually did.
  12. 28 Jan '17 21:12
    In real life, I have known some women who stay in abusive relationships with men and
    heard their rationalizations.
    My point exactly.
    You saw Theresa May (shes a woman) you thought of other women and made a connection then judged Theresa May because of the connection you saw. You made a sexist judgement.
  13. 28 Jan '17 21:48 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Sure, be disgusted. But that doesn't excuse the highly sexist comment in the OP.
    You might want to consider that at least some of your disgust at her is because
    she is a woman and not because of anything she actually did.
    As I already explained, a part of my disgust comes from the fact that Theresa May already
    was aware of Donald Trump's overt sexism and abusive conduct toward women and she
    still chose to fawn all over him. By doing so, Theresa May seemed to imply that she did
    not believe or take seriously the many women who have accused Donald Trump of misconduct.

"...because she [Theresa May] is a woman and not because of anything she actually did."
    --Twhitehead

I don't believe that a woman should flatter a man who boasts of 'grabbing women by their ****'.
    Theresa May chose to do that. I also would condemn men who condone sexual assault.

And I condemned Tony Blair's fawning over George W Bush, but at least George W Bush
    did not have Donald Trump's admitted record of personally offensive conduct.
  14. 28 Jan '17 21:59 / 1 edit
    And Bill Clinton's conduct?

Would you like a cigar?
  15. 28 Jan '17 22:01
    As I already explained, a part of my disgust comes from the fact that Theresa May already
    was aware of Donald Trump's overt sexism and abusive conduct toward women and she
    still chose to fawn all over him. By doing so, Theresa May seemed to imply that she did
    not believe or take seriously the many women who have accused Donald Trump of misconduct.
    Would you have been equally disgusted if she were a man? Or is this a case of because she is a woman she must stand up for other women?

I don't believe that a woman should flatter a man who boasts of 'grabbing women by their ****'.
    Theresa May chose to do that. I also would condemn men who condone sexual assault.

But have you been equally critical of all male heads of state that have expressed any kind of recognition for Trump?
    What about President Clintons behaviour? Surely cheating on your spouse is nearly as bad as boasting about 'grabing them by the pussy'?

And I condemned Tony Blair's fawning over George W Bush,
    But did you do so by imaging an analogy where Tony Blair was an abused housewife?