Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. 27 Dec '17 18:03 / 2 edits
    https://nypost.com/2017/12/24/airline-kicked-me-from-first-class-so-politician-could-take-my-seat/

So there was this lady who had a first class seat on an United flight, but when she tried to board, she was told that she had no ticket.

To make a long story short, they offered her a $300 voucher to just go away, but later put her in another seat that was not first class.

Once in flight she went to the first class seat that was taken from her, and lo and behold it was a Texas Congress woman who had swiped the seat and took a picture of her.

The Congress woman, of course, claimed that she had nothing to do with this. In addition, the Congress woman claimed that she was being targeted because she was black.

Another Congressman aboard the plane said that Congress woman Lee routinely does this. Term limits anyone?
  2. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    27 Dec '17 18:38
    Originally posted by @whodey
    https://nypost.com/2017/12/24/airline-kicked-me-from-first-class-so-politician-could-take-my-seat/

So there was this lady who had a first class seat on an United flight, but when she tried to board, she was told that she had no ticket.

To make a long story short, they offered her a $300 voucher to just go away, but later put her in another seat that wa ...[text shortened]... gressman aboard the plane said that Congress woman Lee routinely does this. Term limits anyone?
    It's the airline's problem.
  3. 27 Dec '17 19:40
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    WOW...the airline made her claim it was racist?
  4. 27 Dec '17 20:15
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    It seems this Congress woman is used to throwing her weight around and expecting privilege.

That is not a problem?
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Dec '17 21:22

To make a long story short, they offered her a $300 voucher to just go away, but later put her in another seat that wa ...[text shortened]... gressman aboard the plane said that Congress woman Lee routinely does this. Term limits anyone?
    The title of the thread is almost certainly a lie:

United Airlines has apologized and given a $500 travel voucher to a passenger who accused the airline of giving her first-class seat to U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, a Houston Democrat.

An airline spokeswoman said Monday that its internal systems show the passenger, Jean-Marie Simon, canceled her Dec. 18 seat from Houston to Washington, D.C., after a weather delay.

Simon denies that she canceled the flight. She was given a seat in Economy Plus on the flight, and told the Houston Chronicle she saw Jackson Lee sitting in the seat that was assigned to her.

United says it upgraded Jackson Lee automatically and not because she was a member of Congress. The congresswoman says in a statement that she didn't ask for anything "exceptional or out of the ordinary."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/federal-board-mediates-harassment-claims-remains-limbo-n831946

More details here:

A United Airlines representative told NBC News that Jackson Lee was not given preferential treatment because she is a member of Congress.

The passenger, whose flight was already delayed, canceled her flight using the United app, the representative said. When she arrived at the ticket counter, she had a paper ticket from when she had checked in but that was no longer valid because she canceled her flight, the representative said.

Jackson Lee has global services status with the airline and was given an upgrade, which is common for when there is an open first class seat, the representative said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/airplane-mode/rep-jackson-lee-suspects-she-was-accused-united-incident-because-n832726

"Airline screws up" isn't a useful propaganda headline for whodey (who seems to be on the lookout for any allegation, no matter how far-fetched, against Democrats who happen to be black), so he has to come up with his own false one.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Dec '17 21:22
    It seems this Congress woman is used to throwing her weight around and expecting privilege.

That is not a problem?
    The evidence of that is .......................................................................
  7. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Dec '17 21:31
    Global services status has quite a few perks: https://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/top-perks-united-global-services/
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    27 Dec '17 21:36
    To recap:

The woman wasn't "kicked off the plane"; she had either mistakenly cancelled her reservation or the airline had screwed up and cancelled it. She eventually was allowed on the plane in EconomyPlus and got a $500 voucher for her trouble.

There is zero evidence that the Congresswoman had anything to do with it.
  9. 28 Dec '17 00:48 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    To recap:

The woman wasn't "kicked off the plane"; she had either mistakenly cancelled her reservation or the airline had screwed up and cancelled it. She eventually was allowed on the plane in EconomyPlus and got a $500 voucher for her trouble.

There is zero evidence that the Congresswoman had anything to do with it.
    That's a special world you live in no1marerider...

"In her statement, Jackson Lee said she overheard Simon speaking with an African-American flight attendant and saw her snap the photo.
    "Since this was not any fault of mine, the way the individual continued to act appeared to be, upon reflection, because I was an African American woman, seemingly an easy target along with the African American flight attendant who was very, very nice," Jackson Lee said in the statement. "This saddens me, especially at this time of year given all of the things we have to work on to help people. But in the spirit of this season and out of the sincerity of my heart, if it is perceived that I had anything to do with this, I am kind enough to simply say sorry."
    Simon said Jackson Lee's statement accused her of racism, adding: "I had no idea who was in my seat when I complained at the gate that my seat had been given to someone else," she said. "There is no way you can see who is in a seat from inside the terminal."
    About five minutes after Simon took the photo on the plane, Simon said, another flight attendant sat next her and asked if she "was going to be a problem."

http://www.chron.com/news/politics/article/Woman-accuses-United-of-giving-her-seat-to-Rep-12452258.php
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Dec '17 01:11
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    That's a special world you live in no1marerider...

"In her statement, Jackson Lee said she overheard Simon speaking with an African-American flight attendant and saw her snap the photo.
    "Since this was not any fault of mine, the way the individual continued to act appeared to be, upon reflection, because I was an African American woman, seemin ...[text shortened]... /www.chron.com/news/politics/article/Woman-accuses-United-of-giving-her-seat-to-Rep-12452258.php
    That story just verifies what was said above:

"After thoroughly examining our electronic records, we found that upon receiving a notification that Flight 788 was delayed due to weather, the customer appears to have canceled her flight from Houston to Washington, D.C. within the United mobile app," United said in a statement. "As part of the normal pre-boarding process, gate agents began clearing standby and upgrade customers, including the first customer on the waitlist for an upgrade."

Simon denies that she cancelled her ticket. She sent a reporter a screenshot of the United website showing only one "inactive" reservation – a flight to Houston in August to visit her daughter that she had to cancel because of Hurricane Harvey.

A United official said screenshot doesn't show the December flight as cancelled because she ultimately took the flight.

The official provided another screenshot of United's internal software system and said that it showed the flight had been cancelled on a mobile app, though a reporter was unable to independently verify that on Saturday because of the system's coding.

Jackson Lee issued a statement on Saturday afternoon saying: "I asked for nothing exceptional or out of the ordinary and received nothing exceptional or out of the ordinary."
  11. 28 Dec '17 01:40 / 1 edit
    That story just verifies what was said above:

"After thoroughly examining our electronic records, we found that upon receiving a notification that Flight 788 was delayed due to weather, the customer appears to have canceled her flight from Houston to Washington, D.C. within the United mobile app," United said in a statement. "As part of the normal pr ...[text shortened]... ing exceptional or out of the ordinary and received nothing exceptional or out of the ordinary."
    "a reporter was unable to independently verify"

So they had proof just wouldn't show it? you play the fool, I don't buy it.

Now explain the racism aspect.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    28 Dec '17 02:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    "a reporter was unable to independently verify"

So they had proof just wouldn't show it? you play the fool, I don't buy it.

Now explain the racism aspect.
    Please learn how to read; United showed the reporter what they considered the proof but the reporter says there are codes on it she doesn't understand. In any event, what is rather clear is that either the passenger screwed up or the airline screwed up and that the title of this thread is a falsehood.

Why did the passenger feel it necessary to take a picture of the Congresswoman in the seat? Perhaps one who has been a victim of racism throughout their life might be a bit more attuned to it than you or I. Or perhaps she was being oversensitive.

Anyway, while the motivations of the passenger are unclear, whodey's and yours are pretty transparent. It is to make a mountain out of a molehill to try to discredit a black Democrat when there is zero evidence she did anything wrong.
  13. Standard member shavixmir
    Guppy poo
    28 Dec '17 04:34
    Please learn how to read; United showed the reporter what they considered the proof but the reporter says there are codes on it she doesn't understand. In any event, what is rather clear is that either the passenger screwed up or the airline screwed up and that the title of this thread is a falsehood.

Why did the passenger feel it necessary to take a ...[text shortened]... olehill to try to discredit a black Democrat when there is zero evidence she did anything wrong.
    Oh, she’s done something wrong alright!

She’s black and she has a better paying job than Mott or Whodey.

Them homeboys don’t like their strange fruit anythin’ but danglin’!
  14. 28 Dec '17 11:30

Why did the passenger feel it necessary to take a ...[text shortened]... olehill to try to discredit a black Democrat when there is zero evidence she did anything wrong.
    Oh..".she has experienced racism throughout her life"...LMFAO

Well this is a game changer!!!
  15. 28 Dec '17 11:41
    While there is no evidence the congresswoman did anything wrong, of course the racism claim (backed by No1 and Shavixmir and undoubtedly Crazy McGee as well, if she reads this) makes absolutely no sense unless further evidence is provided and once again rapes the word of its true and important meaning.

Everyone could've laughed at the airline and the woman complaining, but then the congresswoman came and made a complete fool out of herself by playing the racism card. Pathetic.