Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    13 Oct '16 12:18 / 1 edit
    Nate Silver reported on 538 two days ago that if only men were voting, then Trump would win the electoral college 350 to 188.

However, if only women were voting, Trump would lose the electoral college 458 to 80.

As he said in this article, "But it seems fair to say that, if Trump loses the election, it will be because women voted against him."

You're welcome, America.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-women-are-defeating-donald-trump/
  2. 13 Oct '16 12:22
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Nate Silver reported on 538 two days ago that if only men were voting, then Trump would win the electoral college 350 to 188.
    What proportion of men does that represent?
  3. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    13 Oct '16 12:29 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What proportion of men does that represent?
    As the article states, he is using data gleaned from 12 different polls.

They're listed in the article.

Edit: It's all trend analysis, but that is what Nate Silver does.
  4. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    13 Oct '16 13:01
    Originally posted by vivify
    If women are only voting against Trump because of sexist comments, that reflects poorly on them. If Trump had never made a sexist comment, he'd still be far worse choice than Hilary.
    No one has said that women are only voting against Trump because of sexist comments. And to say that that is the main motivation of women insults women. Most women understand when a man cannot be trusted. You'll also notice I did not say "all women".
  5. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    13 Oct '16 13:03
    Okay, now that's weird. Where did the post I replied to go?
  6. 13 Oct '16 19:58
    Okay, now that's weird. Where did the post I replied to go?
    I had it removed because I found it offensive
  7. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    13 Oct '16 20:07
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    I had it removed because I found it offensive
    Well, that's more offensive than the post, to be honest.
  8. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    13 Oct '16 20:33
    And in typical right-wing fashion, here is one side's blowback to this article.

https://www.yahoo.com/style/why-repealthe19th-is-trending-171133471.html
  9. 13 Oct '16 21:09
    As the article states, he is using data gleaned from 12 different polls.
    Sorry for not being clear. What I meant was what proportion of men in the US are likely to vote for Trump. Stats based on electoral college votes are not particularly interesting as they do not represent populations.
  10. 13 Oct '16 22:39

However, if only women were voting, Trump would lose the electoral college 458 to 80.

As he said in this article, "But it seems fair to say that, if Trump loses the election, it will be because women voted against him."

[b][ ...[text shortened]... ]

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-women-are-defeating-donald-trump/[/b]
    and blacks. and hispanics.
  11. 13 Oct '16 23:04 / 1 edit
    Well, that's more offensive than the post, to be honest.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    14 Oct '16 00:19

[b][ ...[text shortened]... ]

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-women-are-defeating-donald-trump/[/b]
    Men voted for Romney 52-45% in 2012, so this is hardly a surprise.http://ropercenter.cornell.edu/polls/us-elections/how-groups-voted/how-groups-voted-2012/
  13. 14 Oct '16 19:06 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by Suzianne to Vivify
    No one has said that women are only voting against Trump because of sexist comments.
    And to say that that is the main motivation of women insults women.
    Most women understand when a man cannot be trusted. You'll also notice I did not say "all women".
    Donald Trump's sexist comments are a sufficient, but far from the only, reason for women to vote against him.
    I would submit that Donald Trump's sexist comments are a sufficient reason for
    *everyone who sincerely cares about women* to vote against him.

I don't understand why Vivify apparently believes that Donald Trump's sexist comments
    are *not* a sufficient reason for women to vote against him, as though women should
    ignore them and need to look for another reason (which should not be hard to find).

"Most women understand when a man cannot be trusted."
    --Suzianne

There are varying levels of trust, including
    1) A man who can be trusted to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth
    about himself when he attempts to impress a woman whom he wishes to date. (That's rare.)
    2) A man who can be trusted in business or financial dealings.
    3) A man who can trusted not to force himself upon and intimately violate a woman.

It seems to me that Donald Trump fails to pass at every level of women trusting him.
  14. 14 Oct '16 19:27 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    Donald Trump's sexist comments are a sufficient, but far from the only, reason for women to vote against him.

I don't understand why Vivify apparently believes that Donald Trump's sexist comments
    are *not* a s ...[text shortened]... a woman.

It seems to me that Donald Trump fails to pass at every level of women trusting him.
    Whats he planning on doing, turning America into a huge harem, get a grip, is this all that you have, Trumps sexist? Run for the hills Ma Barker da fed are comin!
  15. 14 Oct '16 20:22
    Originally posted by Duchess64

are *not* a s ...[text shortened]... a woman.

One area of trust that hasn't been explored is the lack of trust that women typically have for other women.