Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 19:00
    @kazetnagorra said
    Shouldn't they then avoid speaking a Germanic language altogether?
    What's the alternative? A romance language?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 19:21
    @soothfast said
    What's the alternative? A romance language?
    Finnish, obviously. Mies, nainen... ei ongelmaa!
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 19:23
    @ashiitaka said
    It's funny because it could also be seen as "man" came from "woman".
    mitochondrial Eve?
  4. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 19:27
    @kazetnagorra said
    Shouldn't they then avoid speaking a Germanic language altogether?
    Lol. Good one.
  5. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 19:35
    @kazetnagorra said
    Finnish, obviously. Mies, nainen... ei ongelmaa!
    Tricky language, that. Uralic languages are difficult for almost everyone since they're so unique. It's kind of similar to Japanese in that sense, just with a lot fewer speakers.

https://www.atlasandboots.com/foreign-service-institute-language-difficulty/

As you can see, Finnish has an asterisk next to it, indicating that it is more difficult to learn than other languages in group 4 out of 5, putting it close to the top.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 19:403 edits
    @soothfast said
    Actually, when a traumatic or happy or otherwise salient event happens to someone, especially when they're still a child, it's common to only remember the event itself, and not the circumstances leading up to or occurring after the event. I can recall many instances like that in my own childhood, and also even events that happened only a few years ago.

I can remember ...[text shortened]... , at least as you choose to reveal them in this forum, and for that I feel (slightly) sorry for you.
    (Soothfast replied to Sleepyguy.)

I concur with Soothfast. I found Christine Blasey Ford credible from the beginning
    and even more so after her sworn testimony.

Brett Kavanaugh's apologists could attempt to claim, however implausibly, that
    her imperfect memory shows that she forgot that she had given consent to him.

"You ]Sleepyguy] don't listen. At all. Your selfish political motives inform your
    every thought and feeling, at least as you choose to reveal them in this forum,
    and for that I feel (slightly) sorry for you."
    --Soothfast

Long ago, I concluded that Sleepyguy's a completely close-minded racist, sexist
    homophobic right-wing white American man. I might feel slightly sorry for him too
    IF his hateful bigotry did NOT harm people much more deserving of sympathy.
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 19:44
    @ashiitaka said
    Tricky language, that. Uralic languages are difficult for almost everyone since they're so unique. It's kind of similar to Japanese in that sense, just with a lot fewer speakers.

https://www.atlasandboots.com/foreign-service-institute-language-difficulty/

As you can see, Finnish has an asterisk next to it, indicating that it is more difficult to learn than other languages in group 4 out of 5, putting it close to the top.
    "Languages which are exceptionally difficult for native English speakers ..."

On one hand, Japanese may be harder than Chinese to learn on account of its more complex grammar.
    On another hand, Japanese may be easier to learn how to speak because it's not a tonal language.
  8. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 19:471 edit
    @duchess64 said
    "Languages which are exceptionally difficult for native English speakers ..."

On one hand, Japanese may be harder than Chinese to learn on account of its more complex grammar.
    On another hand, Japanese may be easier to learn how to speak because it's not a tonal language.
    Japanese has very complex grammar and a fiendishly difficult system of writing (since it was never reformed like China did with simplified characters). However, pronunciation is (at least for me) very easy. I would say the writing, not the actual speaking, is what makes it rank higher than Mandarin or Cantonese.

Japanese also has so many customs and ways to speak depending on the situation. I feel like when I speak Japanese, I commit around 5 gaffes per minute. Such is the nature of the language. I don't have the natural ability of a native speaker to intuitively know which forms to use in every situation.

There was one time when I mistakenly referred to myself as ”俺”, ore. It is a word for a male to refer to himself, but only very wild, stereotypically "tough guys" would use it. I don't know how it happened, but it just slipped out my mouth! Too many TV characters use it, so I subconsciously absorbed it. The moment haunts me to this day. I wanted to sink into a hole and die. I prefer to use ”僕” boku to refer to myself.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 19:49
    @ashiitaka said
    Japanese has very complex grammar and a fiendishly difficult system of writing (since it was never reformed like China did with simplified characters). However, pronunciation is (at least for me) very easy. I would say the writing, not the actual speaking, is what makes it rank higher than Mandarin or Cantonese.
    Can Japanese be compared with other languages, or just Asian languages?
  10. Joined
    23 Nov '11
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 19:56
    @shavixmir said
    I certainly won’t go that far.

But do you agree with changing language like this?
    I do not really have an opinion right at this moment on "womxn". However, except for Latin and other dead languages, language is constantly changing. If you showed up 150 years ago, people speaking English would probably sound a bit stilted to your 21st century ears. Fifty years ago, Ms as an alternative to Mrs. and Miss was considered nuts. Now it is more commonly used than the words it replaced.
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 19:58
    @karoly-aczel said
    The extremely naïve phrase 'Asian languages' is meaningless linguistically.
    Asia's full of extremely diverse languages that have about nothing in common with one another.

I come across ignorant Westerners who wrongly assume that Chinese, Japanese,
    Korean, and Vietnamese must be rather closely related to one another, when
    nothing come be further from reality.
  12. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 20:00
    @karoly-aczel said
    I don't know. I don't know any other Asian languages. But also, Asian languages are very diverse and come from different language families.
  13. Joined
    20 Oct '16
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 20:01
    @duchess64 said
    The extremely naïve phrase 'Asian languages' is meaningless linguistically.
    Asia's full of extremely diverse languages that have about nothing in common with one another.

I come across ignorant Westerners who wrongly assume that Chinese, Japanese,
    Korean, and Vietnamese must be rather closely related to one another, when
    nothing come be further from reality.
    Oh, I see you got to it first.
  14. Zugzwang
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 20:211 edit
    @ashiitaka said
    I don't know. I don't know any other Asian languages. But also, Asian languages are very diverse and come from different language families.
    Chinese (which consists of many mutually unintelligible spoken languages or 'dialects' )
    belongs to the Sino-Tibetan family languages (which excludes Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese).

Some Tibetan nationalists get upset by that classification because they want to
    deny that Tibet has ever had anything in common with (or related to) China at all.
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Mr. Wolf
    at home
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 20:37
    @phranny said
    I do not really have an opinion right at this moment on "womxn". However, except for Latin and other dead languages, language is constantly changing. If you showed up 150 years ago, people speaking English would probably sound a bit stilted to your 21st century ears. Fifty years ago, Ms as an alternative to Mrs. and Miss was considered nuts. Now it is more commonly used than the words it replaced.
    I think the changing English language is brilliant,
    so long as it evolves organically through usage
    and not from some politically correct dictators.