Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Sep '10 02:09
    According to Tony Blair it's "radical Islam"

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11182225

    That seems a puzzling conclusion, to say the least.

    But this is not an 'Islam Thread'.

    In terms of the numbers of ordinary people affected adversely directly in their real lives, what about things like...

    Poverty

    Lack of food security

    Access to water

    Health: AIDS in Africa and elsewhere, Diabetes in Asia and elsewhere

    Economic fragility, possibility of collapse

    What other major threats are there?
  2. Donation bbarr
    Chief Justice
    04 Sep '10 02:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    According to Tony Blair it's "radical Islam"

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11182225

    That seems a puzzling conclusion, to say the least.

    But this is not an 'Islam Thread'.

    In terms of the numbers of ordinary people affected adversely directly in their real lives, what about things like...

    Poverty

    Lack of food security

    Access to water

    He ...[text shortened]... where

    Economic fragility, possibility of collapse

    What other major threats are there?
    Malaria kills a couple million people per year, mostly children. How many people are killed per year by radical Islam?
  3. 04 Sep '10 03:10
    space rocks. the whole enchilada.
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Sep '10 05:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    What other major threats are there?
    The annihilation of cultures and traditions perhaps, in some cases, causes more problems than it solves.
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    04 Sep '10 06:16
    Large wealth disparity and ethnocentrism.
  6. 04 Sep '10 06:27
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Malaria kills a couple million people per year, mostly children. How many people are killed per year by radical Islam?
    Malaria is a threat and a killer due to 'nature'; Islam is a man-made threat and killer.
  7. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Sep '10 07:10
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    Malaria is a threat and a killer due to 'nature'; Islam is a man-made threat and killer.
    But this isn't intended as an 'Islam thread'. There are clearly many far greater threats to more people around the world than "Islam". I am interested in hearing what people think those threats are, how 'clear and present' they see them as, and perhaps some conjecture about solutions.
  8. 04 Sep '10 07:17
    The greatest threat to humans is probably human ignorance.
  9. 04 Sep '10 07:19
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    space rocks. the whole enchilada.
    Actually.... I'm not sure if you were kidding but this was an /thread choice.

    Eventually Earth will be smacked by a rock big enough to wipe out mankind. But the question is will that happen before our sun eventually wipes out all life.
  10. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    04 Sep '10 07:31
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    Actually.... I'm not sure if you were kidding but this was an /thread choice.

    Eventually Earth will be smacked by a rock big enough to wipe out mankind. But the question is will that happen before our sun eventually wipes out all life.
    And will it matter that much considering we'll be a longstanding spacefaring species by then?
  11. Donation bbarr
    Chief Justice
    04 Sep '10 07:53
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    Malaria is a threat and a killer due to 'nature'; Islam is a man-made threat and killer.
    Yes, so?
  12. Standard member yo its me
    watch the acid...
    04 Sep '10 08:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    According to Tony Blair it's "radical Islam"

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11182225

    That seems a puzzling conclusion, to say the least.

    But this is not an 'Islam Thread'.

    In terms of the numbers of ordinary people affected adversely directly in their real lives, what about things like...

    Poverty

    Lack of food security

    Access to water

    He ...[text shortened]... where

    Economic fragility, possibility of collapse

    What other major threats are there?
    Yes all of that, health I'll add TB and colorah. There's the problem of male-female population in China, the sad distruction of Zimbabwe, which is really all of your notations. It's a real mess and such a shame that it's like this. I wonder what it would be like in the world if my ansestors had stayed home.
  13. 04 Sep '10 08:26
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Yes, so?
    It is bad enough that people suffer from environmental diseases without having to bear with the man-made scourges as well.
  14. Donation bbarr
    Chief Justice
    04 Sep '10 08:28
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    It is bad enough that people suffer from environmental diseases without having to bear with the man-made scourges as well.
    Oh, yeah. I totally agree. Things are tough enough without having to worry about fanatics.
  15. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Sep '10 08:30
    Originally posted by Sartor Resartus
    It is bad enough that people suffer from environmental diseases without having to bear with the man-made scourges as well.
    The failure to mitigate poverty, lack of food security, lack of access to water, and the economic inequity that underpins the possibility of collapse and dislocation, for example, are all man made threats too.