Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    01 May '10 21:42 / 1 edit
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/apr/29/court-dismisses-christian-employment-appeal

Well done the English legal system.

Lord Justice Laws said legislation to protect views held purely on religious grounds could not be justified. He said it was an irrational idea "but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary".

"The law of a theocracy is dictated without option to the people, not made by their judges and governments. The individual conscience is free to accept such dictated law, but the state, if its people are to be free, has the burdensome duty of thinking for itself."

Incidentally the judge only gave these views because Archbishop Carey put in a witness statement specifically asking him to state his views on this aspect of the case. It was not gratuitous.

I think the court could have given additional grounds, but maybe that was a matter for the employer to explain in sacking this man from work to which he was clearly unsuited. The essence of counselling is to be non judgemental. The client is not there to be judged nor to be advised but to be enabled to work in a caring, supportive way through their own issues according to their own values. It is unacceptable to suggest that counselling can be properly undertaken by anyone whose personal values intrude so dramatically. A well trained and competent counsellor understands that their own issues (which are inevitable) are their own problem, not the client's. The sheer arrogance of SOME (not all, maybe not most) Christians imagining that they are invited to bring their religion into other lives uninvited is breathtaking. I say not all because I fully accept that many Christians, Muslims and Jews are perfectly able to function very modestly and dispassionately even with clients with whom, in any other context, they would certainly want to disagree. Indeed, that is the case for any counsellor or psychotherapist much of the time - it is the nature of the job. If the clients had their lives all sorted out rationally they would not need the help! The counsellor is not there to tell them they have got it all wrong.
  2. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    01 May '10 22:08
    Take it to Spirituality, Stanky.
  3. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    01 May '10 22:50
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Take it to Spirituality, Stanky.
    Well I took that to Wikipedia and found this:

The "Stanky Legg" is a multi-step dance that mainly involves the movement of the dancer's leg being moved in a circular motion, then alternating to the opposite leg. The dance also involves dances such as the "Booty Dew" and the "Dougie". In 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualification and the 2009 FIFA Confederations Cup, USA forwards Jozy Altidore and Charlie Davies used this dance as their goal celebration, making it a popular reference in the underground US Soccer scene.

From this I infer a US slang term which, alas, means little to me.
  4. 01 May '10 23:46
    Originally posted by finnegan

The "Stanky Legg" is a multi-step dance that mainly involves the movement of the dancer's leg being moved in a circular motion, then alternating to the opposite leg. The dance also involves dances such as the "Booty Dew" and the "Dougie". In 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualification and the 2009 FIFA Confederations ...[text shortened]... nd US Soccer scene.

"underground US Soccer scene" Since mainstream US soccer is underground would this make it a mainstream dance?
  5. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    01 May '10 23:49

The "Stanky Legg" is a multi-step dance that mainly involves the movement of the dancer's leg being moved in a circular motion, then alternating to the opposite leg. The dance also involves dances such as the "Booty Dew" and the "Dougie". In 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualification and the 2009 FIFA Confederations ...[text shortened]... nd US Soccer scene.

It should have been "Take it to Spirituality, Spanky!"

"Take it to [insert forum name here], Spanky!" is used whenever someone posts something on a forum that should have been posted in some other forum.
  6. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    02 May '10 01:07
    This OP clearly belongs here and not on Spirituality.
  7. 02 May '10 02:16
    spanky from the l'il rascals?
  8. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    02 May '10 10:52
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/apr/29/court-dismisses-christian-employment-appeal

Well done the English legal system.

[b] Lord Justice Laws said legislation to protect views held purely on religious grounds could not be justified. He said it was an irrational idea "but it is also divisive, capricious and arbitrary".

"The law of a theoc ...[text shortened]... uld not need the help! The counsellor is not there to tell them they have got it all wrong.
    Yes this was the right decision; if a person cannot do their job fully because of their beliefs then they must change their job (or their beliefs).

I further believe that the burqa is a hindrance to communication and therefore those that choose to wear it should follow a career where face to face communication is not important (tele-sales?). Specifically I am talking about the Primary School Teacher from Blackburn(?).

I'm sure that case was debated at length on here at the time but such religious judgements must be consistent. She should not have been allowed to continue to teach.
  9. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    02 May '10 12:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    This OP clearly belongs here and not on Spirituality.
    I agree. This concerns British politics and I am not directly interested in American Evangelical debates for their own sake. What does concern me is their implications for us and the following thread shows how those ideas are being inveigled in the British scene without proper debate. They are dangerous and must be exposed to scrutiny.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/may/02/conservatives-philippa-stroud-gay-cure

American style evangelical madness is coming to a parliament near you. Not that Cameron has made much noise about this aspect of his party's likely agenda.