Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    03 Mar '16 20:41
    http://phys.org/news/2016-03-black-brilliant-female-genius-ratemyprofessors.html

How they rate professors, the numbers show mainly male prof's get the description 'brilliant', genius and so forth. Women and black's get short shrift in this regard.

This is unacceptable. A woman can be just as brilliant as any man and it should show in these ratings.

I wish I knew what could be done about gender and racial inequality but I am pretty clueless in this regard.

There are long standing cultural differences that play into this, for instance the bible counting men as worth 50 shekels but a woman only 30.

I hear that is just a codification of the cultural norms of the times but when it is written in stone in a religious document, it will be taken seriously no matter how much time has gone by.

So get that crap out of the bible, maybe things will change.

Not likely but you have to start somewhere.

Maybe from the parents, maybe from educators.

We cannot go on dissing half the mind power of the human race, we need all the brain power we can muster to get past the next couple hundred years more or less intact.
  2. 04 Mar '16 00:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://phys.org/news/2016-03-black-brilliant-female-genius-ratemyprofessors.html

How they rate professors, the numbers show mainly male prof's get the description 'brilliant', genius and so forth. Women and black's get short shrift in this regard.

This is unacceptable. A woman can be just as brilliant as any man and it should show in these ratings.
    ...[text shortened]... all the brain power we can muster to get past the next couple hundred years more or less intact.
    In keeping with a recent thread that I created in the Science forum, I wonder to what extent
    a professor's 'feminine voice' may result in her being perceived as less authoritative.

In the 2005-2006 academic year, 1365 PhDs were awarded in the United States.
    Only 12 (less than one percent) of these were earned by black Americans.
    In the period 1977-2006, only 288 black Americans (246 men and 42 women) earned
    PhDs in physics (with probably many of them from historically black universities or colleges).
    So the rarity of black Americans as professors of physics may make it less likely for an
    individual black American to be perceived as 'brilliant' in physics.
  3. 04 Mar '16 04:36

...[text shortened]... all the brain power we can muster to get past the next couple hundred years more or less intact.
    I'm with ya Sonhouse!! If alls we got is two centuries ta get women some respect to save humanity then we should get started at once!!! No more dissing women by them choosing to raise children and taking care of family and giving moral compass and stability. Those women need to get out and get into an engineering program. If not that then they should be doctors. Not nurses but full fledged Doctors. We need women to undue what the likes of Fermi and Openheimer started or we will surely have a nuclear holocaust. If the womenfolk would get out and get all careered up and stop having children we can have the foreign workers pay for the social security. Women would simply be brilliant to give up the traditional family role and climb them corporate ladders. I'm with ya Sonhouse!!! Lets get the female brains mustered up so we can get better Iphones, Military technologies, and Genetic Modified Organisms. I say… I say… I say I'm with ya Sonhouse. You are brilliant!!!
  4. Subscriber Kewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    04 Mar '16 07:03
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I'm with ya Sonhouse!! If alls we got is two centuries ta get women some respect to save humanity then we should get started at once!!! No more dissing women by them choosing to raise children and taking care of family and giving moral compass and stability. Those women need to get out and get into an engineering program. If not that then they should be ...[text shortened]... , and Genetic Modified Organisms. I say… I say… I say I'm with ya Sonhouse. You are brilliant!!!
    If brilliance is not associated with females, I guess you're female.
  5. 04 Mar '16 07:30 / 1 edit
    I wish I knew what could be done about gender and racial inequality but I am pretty clueless in this regard.
    Yes, I noticed. In another thread you insisted that a persons gender should be mentioned every time you refer to them.

So get that crap out of the bible, maybe things will change.
    In the US, the Bible may have a big influence, but in much of the rest of the world, it doesn't. Gender inequality is pretty much universal. So, no, I don't think we can really blame the Bible nor will changing it make much difference.
    We need to change the culture, and that only happens when enough people are willing to openly talk about the problems. With regards to employment we need to consider having blind interviews where the candidates name/ gender/ race/ looks etc are not known during at least the early stages of the employment process. Only skills and experience relevant to the job should be considered.

I watch quite a lot of Korean drama and Korea has a very strong hierarchical society with your age or seniority built into the language. As with most of the world it also has a history of being a male dominated society. However, the dramas reflect a society where women seem generally much more empowered than the society I come from. One very noticeable difference is in relationships where women take on a much more active role. In Western society it is seen as the man's job to initiate everything whereas in Korean dramas, the girl is just as likely as the guy to ask for a date or propose marriage. Of course I have no idea whether or not the dramas reflect the actual society.
  6. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    04 Mar '16 12:48
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Yes, I noticed. In another thread you insisted that a persons gender should be mentioned every time you refer to them.

[b]So get that crap out of the bible, maybe things will change.

In the US, the Bible may have a big influence, but in much of the rest of the world, it doesn't. Gender inequality is pretty much universal. So, no, I don't think we ...[text shortened]... propose marriage. Of course I have no idea whether or not the dramas reflect the actual society.[/b]
    I did mention the fact that the bible may just be an indication of the cultural norms of the time but still, it is written in stone a woman is worth 30 and a man 50. That has to have some effect on those oh so religious folks say in the bible belt of the US.

Of course it is more widespread than could be accounted for by biblical verse but it needs to change.
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    04 Mar '16 12:49
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    I'm with ya Sonhouse!! If alls we got is two centuries ta get women some respect to save humanity then we should get started at once!!! No more dissing women by them choosing to raise children and taking care of family and giving moral compass and stability. Those women need to get out and get into an engineering program. If not that then they should be ...[text shortened]... , and Genetic Modified Organisms. I say… I say… I say I'm with ya Sonhouse. You are brilliant!!!
    Right, like you really believe that crap you are shilling out.
  8. 04 Mar '16 13:32 / 1 edit
    it is written in stone a woman is worth 30 and a man 50.
    No, it is not written in stone. And most Christians don't follow the old Testament anyway. Certainly I don't know any Christians that practice slavery.

That has to have some effect on those oh so religious folks say in the bible belt of the US.
    Maybe so, but the effect is negligible. There is an interplay between culture and religion, but it is often as much a case of the culture affecting the religion as the other way around.

Of course it is more widespread than could be accounted for by biblical verse but it needs to change.
    Pointing at that verse isn't going to change it. In fact attacking religion is probably the worst possible way to go about changing it. The best possible way is to start with yourself and your family, and then the work place and politics. People are very defensive about their religions, but when the society they live in no longer accepts their bigotry the equation changes.

It interesting that you now seem to be in support of equality, but in the thread about Canada wanting to reduce the amount of gender discrimination in schools you seemed to be opposed to it. You said you wanted everyone to know whether the person you are talking about is male or female just in case the poor children forget whether or not their mummies have breasts.
  9. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    04 Mar '16 14:10

Do you have a suggestion? Would you like to legislate the content of the Bible?
  10. 04 Mar '16 14:58

One factor not often considered is the choices females make in course work and curriculum in secondary education. Of course, there will always be some who choose the difficult courses, but in general females tend to select soft subject matter. My eldest daughter did so in college, but I can hardly blame her. My youngest, took the AP stuff right up to where she couldn't finance what she needed to graduate. Girls and guys need to realistically appraise their strengths and weaknesses, just as everyone else should. Sometimes the weaknesses stem from choices made early on to take the course of least resistance. Then there are those who unrealistically take the AP courses ignoring that they aren't likely to be successful and then want blame their folly on someone else.

By the way, brilliance isn't measured by how far someone manages to go in academia. It is how well one uses whatever education they happen to get. Many brilliant people have just a high school formal education or barely more, and many with PhDs accomplish little or nothing of significance, despite their letters.
  11. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    05 Mar '16 19:49
    Originally posted by sh76
    Do you have a suggestion? Would you like to legislate the content of the Bible?
    Nothing short of executing every Christian on the planet will do........
  12. 05 Mar '16 20:17 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by sonhouse to Sh76
    Nothing short of executing every Christian on the planet will do.
    http://qz.com/613270/brazen-sexism-is-pushing-women-out-of-americas-atheism-movement/

"Brazen sexism is pushing women out of America's atheist movement."
    --Marcie Bianco (12 February 2016)

"Why would women want to join a ('New Atheist' ) movement led by sexists and populated by trolls?"
    --Katha Pollitt

I don't want to be associated with sexist atheists like Richard Dawkins or Sam Harris.

"They ('New Atheist' men) claim to be liberating people from the shackles of religion.
    But in importing sexism into the movement, they've brought religion's biggest problem with them."
    --Marcie Bianco
  13. 05 Mar '16 20:28
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://qz.com/613270/brazen-sexism-is-pushing-women-out-of-americas-atheism-movement/

"Brazen sexism is pushing women out of America's atheist movement."
    --Marcie Bianco (12 February 2016)

"Why would women want to join a ('New Atheist' ) movement led by sexists and populated by trolls?"
    --Katha Pollitt

I don't want to be associated with sexist ...[text shortened]... into the movement, they've brought religion's biggest problem with them."
    --Marcie Bianco

"
    People who are brilliant should be recognized regardless.
  14. 05 Mar '16 20:41

"A woman can be just as brilliant as any man and it should show in these ratings."
    --Sonhouse

But ratings are *not* about 'brilliance' as such, but the (culturally conditioned) *perception* of 'brilliance'.
    To be realistic, a petite woman with a soft feminine voice tends to be perceived as
    less authoritative than a tall man with a booming deep masculine voice.
  15. 06 Mar '16 00:35
    Nothing short of executing every Christian on the planet will do........
    I am an atheist, but I'll be defending those Christians you wish to execute.