THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER .
  2. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 05:151 edit
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_the_South

SERGEANTPMAIN has written that he belongs to the League of the South.

"The League of the South ... states that its ultimate goal is 'a free and independent Southern republic.'"
    --Wikipedia

"...a playful idolization of times past."
    --Shavimir

Moonlight and magnolias. Southern belles in hoop ski ...[text shortened]... ing masters.
    All the nostalgic stuff that quickens the pulse of the neo-Confederate apologists.
    Sort of the hardcore version of the Dukes of Hazzard.

Well, I always thought it would have been better (for the world) if the Southern States would have formed a seperate country (or even better: different countries).

The North would be more normal, and like South Africa, the South would eventually abolish its apartheid mentality, be run by corrupt black leaders and funnily enough... Be really good at rugby.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 07:00
    If Moonbus claims now that he already knew that 'Advance Australia Fair' is Australia's
    official national anthem, I will not believe him.

And a problem with Moonbus's analogy is that *non-sovereign* 'nations' such as the
    extinct CSA (for 'Dixie' ) and England (for 'Jerusalem' ) do *not* have official national anthems.
    In contrast, Australia has an official national anthem, and Australians explicitly rejected 'Waltzing Matilda' for it.
    What is your problem? Bob asked people what songs they like. There's no right answer; it's not the SF where one wrong answer condemns your immortal soul to the lake of fire for ever and ever.
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 07:01
    I've changed my mind; there is another national anthem I like better than Waltzing Matilda:

YouTube
  5. Zugzwang
    Moves
    17 Apr '16 20:351 edit
    Originally posted by moonbus
    What is your problem? Bob asked people what songs they like. There's no right answer;
    it's not the SF where one wrong answer condemns your immortal soul to the lake of fire for ever and ever.
    Shavixmir has written that he was *misinformed* by Moonbus into believing (wrongly) that
    'Waltzing Matilda' is Australia's official national anthem. Moonbus still apparently fiercely
    resents me for pointing out that Australia's official national anthem is 'Advance Australia Fair'.
  6. Subscriberlemondrop
    pawn grabber
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 00:17
    Vatican City
    Onward Christian Soldiers
  7. Zugzwang
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 01:05
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    Vatican City
    Onward Christian Soldiers
    Here's an article about the Islamic States's national anthem:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/nov/09/nasheed-how-isis-got-its-anthem

"How ISIS got its anthem"

"My Ummah, Dawn has Appeared" seems to be the Islamic State's unofficial national anthem.
    (Of course, the Islamic State lacks international recognition as an official nation.)
  8. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y3ngvdp2
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 05:25
    Originally posted by st dominics preview
    this is the crux of every debate

are the anti-CSA brigade claiming that in 1861 Lincoln went to War to free the slaves from the plantations in the States that wanted to form the CSA?

I know that they wish today that were true

But, sadly, it is not. In 1861 Lincoln's stance on slavery in CSA was VERY , erm, fluid.
    Lincoln went to war because he was President and the rebellious Southerners fired on the US Army and Navy...
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    Moves
    18 Apr '16 18:27
    Shavixmir has written that he was *misinformed* by Moonbus into believing (wrongly) that
    'Waltzing Matilda' is Australia's official national anthem. Moonbus still apparently fiercely
    resents me for pointing out that Australia's official national anthem is 'Advance Australia Fair'.
    First of all, you haven't the foggiest notion what I know or do not know and therefore are in no position to render a judgment whether I am or was ignorant of Australia's official anthem.

Second, Shavixmir is responsible for his own mind.

Third, I resent nothing. I just think you're making a mountain out of a neutrino.
  10. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 04:101 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "... 'Auferstanden aus Ruinen'..." Youtube Website Link?
    "Auferstanden aus Ruinen" would also get my vote.

The "youtube" tag prevents the video from working for some dumbass reason, but here is the address in plain text:

YouTube
  11. Zugzwang
    Moves
    20 Apr '16 19:09
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    As an American, I'm often dismayed that our national anthem is not a beautiful song. It's difficult to sing and difficult to play and it reflects the moment in which it was written, during wartime.

I've been of the opinion for some time that the anthem should be changed to "America, the Beautiful".
    If 'America, the Beautiful' became the US national anthem, it would join the minority (as
    far as I know) of modern national anthems that have lyrics explicitly calling upon God.

The new Russian national anthem invokes God; the old Soviet national anthem mentioned Lenin.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    12 May '16 22:45
    Originally posted by bill718
    Oh Canada !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPGPAnPNa8
    Oh Canada !!

YouTube
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 May '16 00:12
    Originally posted by sh76
    I also happen to think Hatikvah is a beautiful song, but I don't like it as Israel's national anthem.

To start with, it was written as a wistful Zionist hope for a future state of Israel, not as a celebration of a current state.

In fact, the original song's lyric of the hope being "Lashuv le’eretz avoteinu" ("to return to the land of our father" ) had to ...[text shortened]... for a national anthem that more reflects the cosmopolitan nature of the modern state of Israel.
    Do you think that perhaps one thing a national anthem does, is reminds the nation of its past?
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 May '16 00:22
    The ferocity of others to you is mostly in your fertile imagination. Most of us don't give a flying fart about you, or our disagreements.
  15. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    18 May '16 11:181 edit
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Australia, Waltzing Matilda
    This began as a good thread. Here's a lovely and poignant version:

YouTube : June Tabor

I don't think anyone has mentioned Italy's anthem:

YouTube : The Chant of the Italians