Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Jun '13 09:25
    George Zimmerman's trial on murder and lesser charges for shooting Travon Martin starts Monday barring some last minute delay. Thought I'd get the thread started a little early.

The Frye hearing regarding whether voice analysis of the 9-11 call will be admitted will continue tomorrow. There was testimony today from several witnesses; one expert for the prosecution has written a report positively identifying the screams heard on the tape as being Travon Martin's while another has ruled out them being George Zimmerman. Defense experts are claiming the quality of the audio makes it impossible to determine who was screaming. This seems like a typical "battle of experts" but the defense wants any expert testimony on this issue excluded as, quite obviously, if the jury believes Travon Martin was screaming for help GZ is cooked. In order to justify exclusion of such evidence it must be found scientifically suspect but:

All three described using traditional techniques such as critical listening and computer biometric software in their analyses.

http://news.yahoo.com/voice-experts-testify-over-911-call-trayvon-martin-224339777.html

Based on what I have read so far, I think it probable it gets in.
  2. 08 Jun '13 13:36
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    George Zimmerman's trial on murder and lesser charges for shooting Travon Martin starts Monday barring some last minute delay. Thought I'd get the thread started a little early.

The Frye hearing regarding whether voice analysis of the 9-11 call will be admitted will continue tomorrow. There was testimony today from several witnesses; one ...[text shortened]... 9777.html

Based on what I have read so far, I think it probable it gets in.
    its incredibly interesting, so many dynamics, poor audio quality, duration of samples, established techniques, I also think it will be permitted.
  3. Standard member vivify
    rain
    08 Jun '13 15:46
    If Zimmerman gets a "not guilty" verdict, I think there will be riots.
  4. 08 Jun '13 17:38
    Originally posted by vivify
    If Zimmerman gets a "not guilty" verdict, I think there will be riots.
    Of course there will, the media will see to it.
    If colors were reversed you'd never hear of the story at all, they'd hide it, or try to play it off as an innocent black killing an evil white person in self defense.
  5. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    08 Jun '13 17:41 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    If colors were reversed you'd never hear of the story at all, they'd hide it, or try to play it off as an innocent black killing an evil white person in self defense.
    White people retaliate differently. They tend to have more money than blacks so are less likely to attack property. They're more likely to just kill people quietly. The media shows it's bias in favor of the whites by NOT talking about their retaliation.

Or they kill people loudly like when that Hammerskin shot up the Sikh temple. Then we hear about it.
  6. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Jun '13 17:52
    If the colors had been reversed, the shooter would have been charged that night and would still be sitting in jail.

I seriously doubt that there will be any riots in the unlikely event that Zimmerman is acquitted.
  7. Standard member vivify
    rain
    08 Jun '13 17:54
    If the "colors were reversed"? Of course you wouldn't here about that...how realistic does that sound? An affluent black man living in an well-to-do neighborhood (which most likely is full of whites) killing a white kid during a neighborhood watch? What would that black man's motivation be in that situation? That he doesn't like whites, which he'd be surrounded by if he were in Zimmerman's role?

The media wouldn't report it, only because that would never happen.
  8. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    08 Jun '13 18:00 / 1 edit
    If the "colors were reversed"? Of course you wouldn't here about that...how realistic does that sound? An affluent black man living in an well-to-do neighborhood (which most likely is full of whites) killing a white kid during a neighborhood watch? What would that black man's motivation be in that situation? That he doesn't like whites, which he'd be surr ...[text shortened]... mmerman's role?

There are a number of wealthy black neighborhoods and white people who look like criminals. What if a teenager who "looked like a biker" was shot in those hills north of Inglewood?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Hills,_Los_Angeles#Demographics
  9. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Jun '13 18:00
    If the "colors were reversed"? Of course you wouldn't here about that...how realistic does that sound? An affluent black man living in an well-to-do neighborhood (which most likely is full of whites) killing a white kid during a neighborhood watch? What would that black man's motivation be in that situation? That he doesn't like whites, which he'd be surr ...[text shortened]... mmerman's role?

Zimmerman isn't terribly affluent.

The shooting did not occur while he was on a "neighborhood watch" but while he was driving home.

IF a black man shot an unarmed white teenager, after following him because he was "suspicious", Kilgore and his ilk would be looking for a rope and a tree.
  10. 08 Jun '13 18:06 / 1 edit
    All utter nonsense.
    The amount of violent black on white crime and attacks in this country (or any other white western country) is STAGGERING, and it doesn't get reported.
    But if the reverse is true, the media goes nuts trying to put a racist spin on it.
  11. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    08 Jun '13 18:08
    All utter nonsense.
    The amount of violent black on white crime and attacks in this country is STAGGERING, and it doesn't get reported.
    But if the reverse is true, the media goes nuts trying to put a racist spin on it.
    Sucker punching college kids for the LOLs is not equivalent to killing people.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    It's Nice to Be Nice
    08 Jun '13 18:12
    All utter nonsense.
    The amount of violent black on white crime and attacks in this country (or any other white western country) is STAGGERING, and it doesn't get reported.
    Crime doesn't get reported in the media?
  13. 08 Jun '13 18:30 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Crime doesn't get reported in the media?
    That's what I said.
    Some crime does.
    The occasional rare white on black crime.
    But negroes have a free pass to do anything they want and get ignored.
  14. 08 Jun '13 18:33
    Zimmerman is white? Hold on while I google this dude to verify that claim...
  15. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    08 Jun '13 18:35
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    Zimmerman is white? Hold on while I google this dude to verify that claim...
    His name is white. He appears to be half Latin American to my eye.