Debates Forum

Debates Forum

1. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 May '17 20:21
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    He's either trolling or completely nuts. I think it's the former, but either way it's a lost cause. Keep trying though if it fulfills you!
    "Never send to know for whom the nut trolls; it trolls for thee."
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 May '17 20:21
    Originally posted by Kegge
    You truly are an insufferable git.
    Thanks, buddy!
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 May '17 20:282 edits
    Originally posted by C J Horse
    When I stand on the beach at Eastbourne, in the South of England, I can't see anything of France even though it's only about 45 miles away. Why?

Even if I go up nearby Beachy Head (a cliff about 500 feet high and a popular suicide spot) I still can't see anything of France. Why?

Perhaps Freaky lives at the only flat spot on Earth. Or perhaps he's talking BS.
    "The longest theoretical line of sight in the British Isles is 144 miles (232 km) from Merrick, in the southern uplands of Scotland, to Snowdon in North Wales."-
    Reveal Hidden Content
    http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas.html

Maybe you need glasses?
  4. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    15 May '17 22:55
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    "The longest theoretical line of sight in the British Isles is 144 miles (232 km) from Merrick, in the southern uplands of Scotland, to Snowdon in North Wales."-
    [hidden]http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas.html[/hidden]

Maybe you need glasses?
    And maybe you are as full of shyte as a Christmas turkey.
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Cosmopolis
    Moves
    16 May '17 02:04

Maybe you need glasses?
    Snowdon is 3,560 ft high and Merrick 2,766 ft. Ignoring refraction the peak of one mountain should just be visible if the mountains are less than 137 miles from one another. If we add 8% for refraction that gets us to 147 miles. So the peak of one would just be visible from the other, except that a day clear enough for one to see that distance would be pretty rare. So this is possible with the normal model of the Earth and it is not clear to me what your point is.
  6. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    16 May '17 04:13
    "Never send to know for whom the nut trolls; it trolls for thee."
    Now you've Donne it!
  7. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    16 May '17 08:07

Maybe you need glasses?
    I've used binoculars. You can't see France. If you can see the bottom of a relatively small thing from about 30 miles away, surely I can see, with assistance, something the size of France from 45 miles. Unless the world isn't flat.

As you well know, having looked it up, both Merrick and Snowdon are very high which is why you can (only theoretically as it says) see between them. Not because the world is flat - as you know because you don't believe that yourself. You're so full of BS.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 May '17 12:12
    I've used binoculars. You can't see France. If you can see the bottom of a relatively small thing from about 30 miles away, surely I can see, with assistance, something the size of France from 45 miles. Unless the world isn't flat.

As you well know, having looked it up, both Merrick and Snowdon are very high which is why you can (only theoretically as i ...[text shortened]... e the world is flat - as you know because you don't believe that yourself. You're so full of BS.
    Yo.
    If the world is a ball, I shouldn't be able to see ANY part of the buildings 31 miles away.
    ANY.
    But anyone--- without binoculars--- can see them on any normal day, any day of the week, any week of the year.
  9. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    16 May '17 12:18
    Yo.
    If the world is a ball, I shouldn't be able to see ANY part of the buildings 31 miles away.
    ANY.
    But anyone--- without binoculars--- can see them on any normal day, any day of the week, any week of the year.
    Answer the question. Why can't I see France?
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 May '17 12:25
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Snowdon is 3,560 ft high and Merrick 2,766 ft. Ignoring refraction the peak of one mountain should just be visible if the mountains are less than 137 miles from one another. If we add 8% for refraction that gets us to 147 miles. So the peak of one would just be visible from the other, except that a day clear enough for one to see that distance would b ...[text shortened]... his is possible with the normal model of the Earth and it is not clear to me what your point is.
    31 Rounded Up Reveal Hidden Content
    https://imgur.com/gallery/J94ED

It's a crap picture (Samsung camera is awesome for close-up stuff, but a little weak in the zoom-a-zoom-zoom category; this is 8x), but, just for reference...

Fishing boat on the left, up and to the right of it, on the horizon you can see steam and clouds from the Morton salt flats about 50 miles north and east along the shore.
    Directly to the right of that white fluffy cloud, you can make out two towers, pretty distinctively.
    Those two towers are the stacks from the now defunct Eastlake Power Plant, which, as stated, is about 31 miles north and east of where this pic is being taken.
    With the naked eye, the scene is much more distinct, and on fairly clear days, it's possible to see the buildings below.

On really clear days, you can see the water between the plant and the flats shimmering like a mirage.

So there's that...
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 May '17 12:261 edit
    Answer the question. Why can't I see France?
    My guess is that there isn't anything tall enough on the shore you're looking toward to stand out with enough distinction over that distance.

Although I already offered a video which shows mountains 160 miles away with the sun setting behind them, so, yeah.
  12. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 May '17 12:29
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Now you've Donne it!
    Donne and donne!
  13. Standard membersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 May '17 15:34
    My guess is that there isn't anything tall enough on the shore you're looking toward to stand out with enough distinction over that distance.

Although I already offered a video which shows mountains 160 miles away with the sun setting behind them, so, yeah.
    So why on this alleged flat planet can we not see mountains 1600 miles away? With a clear day and a telescope they should stick out like a sore thumb.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    16 May '17 17:50
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    So why on this alleged flat planet can we not see mountains 1600 miles away? With a clear day and a telescope they should stick out like a sore thumb.
    Goodness, it is painful explaining such rudimentary things to a man who has been alive seven decades.

They're not tall enough.

How are you able to distinctly make out those stacks in the pics, when they should be completely out of sight?
  15. Standard membershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    16 May '17 17:53
    Goodness, it is painful explaining such rudimentary things to a man who has been alive seven decades.

They're not tall enough.

How are you able to distinctly make out those stacks in the pics, when they should be completely out of sight?
    Oh dear...