Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. 31 Jan '09 19:41 / 1 edit
    I think AJAX (Java Script extension)or something like WEB2.0 should decrease traffic and increase this site rating...

It think it is not convenient make browse refresh every second.

E-mail solution it is not convenient for many games parallel and also can be interpreted as SPAM
  2. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    31 Jan '09 23:30
    Originally posted by probey
    I think AJAX (Java Script extension)or something like WEB2.0 should decrease traffic and increase this site rating...

It think it is not convenient make browse refresh every second.

E-mail solution it is not convenient for many games parallel and also can be interpreted as SPAM
    Site rating with what? Server side scripting has nothing to do with page rank or SEO.

When are there browser refreshes every second? Most of the site runs on form submission!
  3. 01 Feb '09 00:13 / 1 edit
    Form submitting for dynamic pages it equivalent to refreshing -- require load all page.

Problem it is there is any status update without refresh/submit form.

Status update require very little traffic compare to all page loading, because with AJAX carried out small sized XML request/response and without any user interactive action or form submitting (interaction with server carried out in background, using Java Script timers and(or) response events).

Because of traffic problem it is not possible to speedup any game -- must wait E-mail, o make submit one after another. Of course it is also band rate problem, not only traffic.

Reducing traffic's required also for volume tariffs.
  4. 02 Feb '09 00:07
    Originally posted by probey
    Form submitting for dynamic pages it equivalent to refreshing -- require load all page.

Problem it is there is any status update without refresh/submit form.

Status update require very little traffic compare to all page loading, because with AJAX carried out small sized XML request/response and without any user interactive action or form submitting (in ...[text shortened]... and rate problem, not only traffic.

Reducing traffic's required also for volume tariffs.
    The main function of this site is correspondence chess - traditionally played via carrier pigeon / messenger badger.
    The advent of the interweb and fast electronic forms of communication enabled blitz style play (this site has a blitz offering too), but the main site prefers to honour the ideals set out in the original Lothar Schmid and Duncan Suttles style of play.
    AJAX has no relevance here when the fastest one is usually required to play is counted not in minutes - not even in hours - but in days.
  5. 07 Feb '09 09:34 / 1 edit
    You are right about corespondence chess, but some players have so many parallel games (tournaments, clans), and with special timeout options. Because of what extended notification mode woud be usefull.

Analogy in Internet I see in E-mail(slow), messenger and chat/news.