Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    24 Sep '03 08:59
    I would love to see computers able to play as members of rhp. Obviously they should be separated from the humans, i dont think it would be that hard - but what would i know?
  2. Standard member gregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    24 Sep '03 22:32
    why?
  3. Standard member StrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    29 Sep '03 05:57 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by gregoftheweb
    why?

Well, I'm not the one who reqwuested this feature, but I can think of a reason: it'd be cool to write your own chess program & be able to test it here.

I guess no-one would have a problem with this if you clearly announce that you're using a program. What WOULD be kind of cool, is when this site would offer sort of an API that the programs could call (GASP!! Wouldn't that make this somewhat of a web service?? That should make you very happy, gregoftheweb! :-). That way, a program could check if its oppponent has made a move, and respond to it without human intervention. A ranking would be cool also.

The specs of each program would have to be published, so each owner can determine what programs it wants to let its program play against. I mean, maybe there are chess libraries out there: One program could be using an old Fritz engine and Deep Blue database of games, while other programs may be written from scratch. It wouldn't be very fair to let these play against each other without warning.

As you may notice from this enthousiastic response: I'd love to see this feature implemented at my favorite chess site.

Yes, that's Red Hot Pawn!
  4. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    03 Oct '03 19:07
    Chris runs Rival chess against other chess programs - even stuff like Chess Master - by using a standard protocol of which I know very little. I will see if I can get him to make a post here letting you all know about it.

-Russ