Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. 12 Dec '05 15:42
    how about if you make a GUI desktop program so people can play chess online without having the internet explorer open and just have that open then you could possibly enhance graphics of the chess peaces and the board and stuff
  2. 14 Dec '05 20:48
    I'm developing something similar for fun...

Using a .NET web service, the windows application will talk to the same database that the web interface uses. The windows app will have animations and a variety of chessboards and pieces, learning tutorials, and the ability to replay games from grand masters who play on the site. I'm also going to build in instant messaging for general talk, or for clans, etc.

All in all its a really good idea, but also a lot of work.
  3. 18 Dec '05 22:47
    Originally posted by bobbobbland
    how about if you make a GUI desktop program so people can play chess online without having the internet explorer open and just have that open then you could possibly enhance graphics of the chess peaces and the board and stuff
    I think the future of applications will be web-applications. Then, you can run them from anywhere, any system with a browser that is. Why create desktop programs like that?

Soon enough, using XHTML, CSS 3, DOM 3 you will be able to build awesome user interfaces for the web. Why, we're practically already there.
  4. 19 Dec '05 15:18
    Originally posted by bobbobbland
    Also, if you really want to create special desktop gui:s for RHP, why not use XUL? At least then the interface may be used in most OS:s with Firefox/Mozilla installed.
  5. 19 Dec '05 18:31
    Just a quick note (hope it hasn't been posted before... that a simple chess game program can be written using a dll like chrizb@yahoo.com. It is easy, fun and get people into it quickly.

Coupled with an opening book it'll probably play anyweher between 1600-1800. I haven't tested it yet. In regards to guis for the web you canalways link any client software to the url. A good server will pick up game and player IDs with the url.

For mobile we use a java client, and the post method to pick up return txt. Works fine.

have fun.