Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. 18 May '04 08:51
    It would be cool if you could see people's highest ever rating in their profile as well as their current rating and highest in the last thirty days.

voidstate
  2. 29 May '04 12:58
    I agree - also when going through the history of games it shows the people's current rating and not their rating at the time. this look wierd, especially when in some cases your opponents have gotten really better, it looks as if you beat someone thats nearly 1000 points ahead of you!!
  3. 07 Jun '04 08:58
    In fact, I think a cvariety of stats oon your opponant would be useful.

Highest ever rating
    Lowest ever
    Mean in last 30 days/6 months/year/ever

That kind of thing. So you could get a feel for the oppnent and how their performance is going...
  4. Standard member timtim
    Unnatural Leader
    08 Jun '04 21:19
    The best way to judge your opponent's strength is not by seeing their lowest rating ever or their highest rating or anything like that. The best way to judge the strength of your opponent is by going through their games and seeing how well they play. I've seen someone rated 1100 lose to a person 900 but then beat a person 1500. Many players have certain strengths and weaknesses, by going through their games you can try to understand how they think.

Chess is a battle of minds, not battle of ratings. For example, my games with In His Name, he has lost to people that are rated 1700, yet I have beaten people that are rated 1900 and he has stumped me in our games because he thinks along a diff. line than I do. So in conclusion, having the lowest ever and highest ever ratings of players would not help in anyway.(in my opinion)

regards
    timtim
  5. 12 Aug '04 20:12
    Publishing lowest is at best useless, and at worse just plain rude.
    Publishing highest is interesting - but perhaps more useful for personal reference than public view.
  6. Standard member Impala03
    Attire Advisor
    15 Aug '04 06:23
    Originally posted by dsb3
    Publishing lowest is at best useless, and at worse just plain rude.
    Publishing highest is interesting - but perhaps more useful for personal reference than public view.
    I don't think that is at all rude. In fact I think it i a good idea. It is a reminder of how well you have improved.
  7. Standard member TheMaster37
    Kupikupopo!
    17 Aug '04 17:22
    Click on a players name to see a graph of his performances. The highest peak is the highest rating, move your cursor to highlight this peak and you can read the rating off it.
  8. 07 Sep '04 15:20
    Generally speaking....

Highest/Lowest only means something if it is non-provisional...

If you go back more than a few months, it means nothing as the average ability of the player pool may shift, thus someone may not change in abilitiy, but their rating moves...

Lowest is meaningless as a bunch of time-out losses can drop someone dramatically....

Everything needed to determine a players ability is already provided in an easy to evaluate manner.
  9. Standard member gotti2000
    The winemaker
    11 Sep '04 11:37
    Originally posted by Pie1120
    Everything needed to determine a players ability is already provided in an easy to evaluate manner.
    Agreed. The graph in the profile, tells you more than simple min/max/avg ratings