Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. 17 Jan '08 19:13
    Has there been any thought to an iphone version of the site? It plays well on my phone, but there is a lot of optimization that could be done with the layout to eliminate zooming and scrolling.

I'd work on coding it myself if there is an API or something I could use.

Chris
  2. Standard member Ichibanov
    King of slow
    24 Jan '08 19:59
    Just posting to second the idea. Maybe if enough members show interest, Russ will add it to the list.
  3. 07 Feb '08 13:09
    I'm also a person interested in an iPhone/iTouch development project here. I do iPhone development (WAP with iPhone specific tags/meta).
  4. Standard member dlapetina
    Crom !
    10 Feb '08 17:14
    Originally posted by cevans
    Has there been any thought to an iphone version of the site? It plays well on my phone, but there is a lot of optimization that could be done with the layout to eliminate zooming and scrolling.

I'd work on coding it myself if there is an API or something I could use.

Chris
    What do you mean by "iphone version" ?
    I have an Ipod Touch and I play RHP through the web browser of the Ipod Touch. It's fine.
  5. 12 Feb '08 04:47
    Originally posted by dlapetina
    What do you mean by "iphone version" ?
    I have an Ipod Touch and I play RHP through the web browser of the Ipod Touch. It's fine.
    Yeah, but he's suggesting that there's a version designed specifically for the iPhone, where you wouldn't have to zoom or scroll so much.
  6. 22 Feb '08 20:24
    yup. i 2nd that! iphone/mobile portal please
  7. 15 Apr '08 22:47
    I'd second dlapetina's post, i.e. why bother? I'm on vacation this week and RHP is working just fine on my iPhone. I can't see the development effort is worth it. Heck, I'm even posting this from my iPhone!

Some iPhone web apps are great but some just shouldn't have bothered. Have you tried Amazon's iPhone optimised site? I'll take the full-cream version any day.
  8. 03 May '08 21:07
    It'd subscribe today if there was an iPhone version only available to subscribers!
    Sure it works without but scrolling bugs me. Would be worhth paying.
  9. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    12 May '08 16:41
    There's already a mobile version of the site:
    http://mobile.redhotpawn.com/
  10. Standard member Ichibanov
    King of slow
    16 May '08 22:22
    I haven't checked it in a while, but the mobile version has substantially less capabilities than the normal site. Most notably, there's no 'analyze game' option.
  11. 18 Aug '08 03:24
    I would buy the iphone redhotpawn app if it were offered on the app store. Someone here should write it and make some money for the site.
  12. 21 Oct '08 22:53
    Yeah I'd buy it too. The web site via the iphone can get annoying because you have to log in each time. You can get round this by cliking the move prompt you get via e-mail, but that's all a bit fiddly. Would love to have analyze game as an option, too!
  13. 31 Oct '08 05:49
    Apple Schmapple. I wan't an Android version for my G1 (Linux) phone. My Gripes are the same as yours; scrolling, zooming, etc. Should be easy enough to do. I'd be glad to help if I knew anything at all about programming (which I don't). Over & Out.
  14. 03 Nov '08 20:27
    Originally posted by jibb666
    The web site via the iphone can get annoying because you have to log in each time.
    No you don't. Have you got cookies enabled? RHP uses them to track your login and other stuff like which folder view you're looking at. I've bookmarked 'My Games' and it takes me straight in every time. I only have to login if I accidentally hit the logout link.
  15. 19 Dec '08 05:23
    just got an iphone and i'd like to add myself to the list of people wanting an iPhone app. There are other apps in the app store allowing people to play email chess but i'd rather stay with this community than spread my games over 2 sites