Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. Standard member gregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    26 Sep '03 19:35
    Just curious. It would be really cool if there was.
  2. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    29 Sep '03 09:50
    what is rss?
    if it takes too much time to explain, do you know any site where it is good explained for newbies?
    th
  3. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    29 Sep '03 15:42
    Originally posted by thire
    what is rss?
    okay, I searched myself and found some good explainations...
    i´d be great to have that feature. onlinechess (via mail basicly) is very slow, so playing offline is very natural. such a "get the games and think offline" 8access to pgn?" feature could be fun!
    th
  4. Standard member gregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    29 Sep '03 17:00
    Well rss can be anything. I was thinking more along the lines of simply an xml feed of my current waiting games. I could then write a somple piece of code that anyone could stick on their home page allowing them to have the listing of their games on any website they want.

But maybe that isn't what RHP wants.

g
  5. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    29 Sep '03 17:05
    ...but that could be cool
    I can publish all myGames as pgn files on my website... and if I find a pgn parser.... cooooooooooool..........

what do you think of that Russ???

th
  6. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    03 Oct '03 19:20
    Sorry, I haven't been into this forum for sometime - but this is a well-timed thread.

I have just spent the afternoon refining some XML for RHP clients that monitor the site for game and message events. I will publish the XML documents as soon StrayJay gets back to me with any comments. I look forward to his next version of Red Hot Probe which should use this – there should be a lot of cool things in there.

A Java client exists too – I will be contacting the developer of that client soon (again, once StrayJay is happy with my new stuff). If the Java client is brought up to date, then there should be no reason why everyone won’t be able to run at least one version no matter what platform they run. (I myself will code a C# version at some point in the future.)

Anyway, this is the first step to opening up all of RHP to XML - in fact, I will go one step further than preparing a my games list in XML, I will give you the game state too, so you can even write an interface for playing the game. I have intended to do this since I wrote RHP Live, which uses XML to communicate between peers - in fact, I could bastardise that code to do just this in next to no time.

Anyway, there you go. Plenty of interesting stuff on the horizon.

-Russ
  7. 06 Jul '04 03:35
    stuff like this for clans too?
  8. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    22 Oct '04 21:36
    Originally posted by Russ
    Sorry, I haven't been into this forum for sometime - but this is a well-timed thread.

I have just spent the afternoon refining some XML for RHP clients that monitor the site for game and message events. I will publish the XML documents as soon StrayJay gets back to me with any comments. I look forward to his next version of Red Hot Probe which should use ...[text shortened]... to no time.

Anyway, there you go. Plenty of interesting stuff on the horizon.

-Russ
    any news here?
    what does StrayJay say?
    just curious...
    th
  9. 28 Oct '04 14:45
    People are always in need of the Dutch, what a fine example.

PM him if you need him.

O.
  10. 12 Feb '05 21:15
    any news on this front? i would be very interested in adding "my games" to my blog/portal using rss/xml.
  11. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    13 Feb '05 07:49
    we hope that Russ brings out a new interface in the near fututre (some months) with some xml as well. (and a mobile edition of RHP?). check out the anoucements and other fora
    th
  12. 10 Sep '05 20:49
    keep this idea afloat. it's a stellar concept.
  13. 30 Sep '05 13:05
    Originally posted by slippytoad
    keep this idea afloat. it's a stellar concept.
    I agree, totally. Especially since the feed would play nicely with google's customized homepage option.
  14. 12 Feb '06 00:07
    (bump)

Maybe this can be something Russ looks at after the new board code goes live?
  15. 23 Feb '06 18:06
    -bump-

any news on this front?