Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. Standard member coentje
    Plop!
    02 Jul '06 03:06 / 1 edit
    Hi,

I have written a little program that runs in your system tray and alerts you when games are waiting for you.

You can download it here http://rhp.de-loos.com/

Let me know what you think of it and if there are some things you would like to have added.

p.s. you do need to have the .net framework 2.0 installed to run this.

edit: if anyone is interested in the source let me know and i will either send it to you or put it up in the same place.
  2. 02 Jul '06 18:25
    Originally posted by coentje
    Hi,

I have written a little program that runs in your system tray and alerts you when games are waiting for you.

You can download it here http://rhp.de-loos.com/

Let me know what you think of it and if there are some things you would like to have added.

p.s. you do need to have the .net framework 2.0 installed to run this.

edit: if anyone is ...[text shortened]... ested in the source let me know and i will either send it to you or put it up in the same place.
    Any chance you can explain what your program does? And how frequently?

Is this really any different to waiting for the email notification?

Cheers,
    Gezza
  3. Standard member coentje
    Plop!
    03 Jul '06 01:51
    Originally posted by gezza
    Any chance you can explain what your program does? And how frequently?

Is this really any different to waiting for the email notification?

Cheers,
    Gezza
    all it does is check the rss feed to see if there are any moves waiting. The frequency you can control your self.

I do not have the e-mail notifaction on since it clutters my inbox a little too much.
  4. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    03 Jul '06 05:07
    Russ has in the past asked for people to not use such scripts as they can cause strain on the servers and increase his bandwidth bills for no real net gain on your end. What have you done to avoid this?
  5. Standard member coentje
    Plop!
    03 Jul '06 16:38 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    Russ has in the past asked for people to not use such scripts as they can cause strain on the servers and increase his bandwidth bills for no real net gain on your end. What have you done to avoid this?
    first of all it is not a script, but a stand alone application.

It does not do reloading of any pages all the time.

Russ released a simple rss stream that will just tell you how many games are waiting for you to move. I Load that rss stream and show the output in a little notification balloon that will take you directly to the waiting games once clicked.

Server load should be minimal, to my knowledge this is exactly the kind of thing an rss stream is intended for and if russ does not want his rss-streams to be used he should not publish them.

If you look at it in pure bandwith calculations, the loading of this rss-stream takes less bandwith as does sending an e-mail notification since the total stream size is about 4 lines of xml.

If you want to check it out, this is the only page i have my app check, http://www.redhotpawn.com/xml/simple/gameswaitingcount_xml.php

the output from that page is:

< mygames uid="220438" name="coentje" >
    < waiting >0< / waiting >
    < status >ok< / status >
    < / mygames >

if something like this is causing to much strain on the servers and bandwith then just let Russ contact me and tell me not to publish something like this and i will go back to checking manually and reloading the mygames page all the time wich causes bandwith and server load to increase a lot more.

If he likes i can send him the source code (in c# ) and he can decide based on that if something like this could be used or not.
  6. Standard member coentje
    Plop!
    03 Jul '06 17:23
    maybe it is a good idea if he can post some guidelines on what can developed by third parties and what not.

And a list of rss-streams available for that purpose would be nice too
  7. 17 Jul '06 20:53
    maybe it is a good idea if he can post some guidelines on what can developed by third parties and what not.

And a list of rss-streams available for that purpose would be nice too
    The idea seems good to me, and provided the frequency is low enough, I would guess this is lower server bandwidth than pressing reload every ten minutes.

I have seen an issue with it the feed though. If you have new games, like when a tourney starts, where it is your move, but no-one has moved yet, they do not appear.

Or at least that is what I assume is going on, as the number of games waiting on my home page is not the same as fetched by the rss stream, and the latter is the number of games where I am to move, and my opponent has moved.
  8. Standard member coentje
    Plop!
    19 Jul '06 18:37
    Originally posted by gezza
    The idea seems good to me, and provided the frequency is low enough, I would guess this is lower server bandwidth than pressing reload every ten minutes.

I have seen an issue with it the feed though. If you have new games, like when a tourney starts, where it is your move, but no-one has moved yet, they do not appear.

Or at least that is what I assume i ...[text shortened]... rss stream, and the latter is the number of games where I am to move, and my opponent has moved.
    You are right about that. But i cannot change the stream and i do not want to download a rendered page to find it out that way (that would mean the same thing as a refresh of the page) So untill Russ adapts the stream it is the best i can do.

I do wish that Russ would publish some more streams so i could make the whole thing a little more elaborate
  9. Standard member coentje
    Plop!
    07 Sep '06 04:03 / 1 edit
    You are right about that. But i cannot change the stream and i do not want to download a rendered page to find it out that way (that would mean the same thing as a refresh of the page) So untill Russ adapts the stream it is the best i can do.

I do wish that Russ would publish some more streams so i could make the whole thing a little more elaborate
    sorry to say that i seem to have deleted this page. Will put it back up in a while. In the mean time just pm me and i will mail the program to you.

only about 30k
  10. 01 Oct '06 19:51
    I used to have this prog and would like it for my new puter

Where can I get it?

I didnt know how to get your email to email a request.

Alos I would like the source if possible.