Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. Standard member Nemesio
    Ursulakantor
    19 Jul '03 16:39
    Maybe this belongs under Help+Site but this forum is not on the menu bar for forums yet. Just so you are aware.

Nemesio
  2. Standard member CFC
    Zak the mad boy
    20 Jul '03 10:35
    Originally posted by nemesio
    Maybe this belongs under Help+Site but this forum is not on the menu bar for forums yet. Just so you are aware.

Nemesio
    I agree.
  3. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    20 Jul '03 17:47 / 1 edit
    This is true - but I don't expect this to be a busy forum - in fact I suspect only a small number of different people will ever post here, so it is not worth adding it to the list.

Those who know it is here and have an interest will come.

-Russ
  4. Standard member CFC
    Zak the mad boy
    22 Jul '03 17:06
    Originally posted by Russ
    This is true - but I don't expect this to be a busy forum - in fact I suspect only a small number of different people will ever post here, so it is not worth adding it to the list.

Those who know it is here and have an interest will come.

-Russ
    Isn't it a waste of breadthspace?
  5. Donation willatkins
    Frustrated...
    24 Jul '03 00:48
    Originally posted by CFC
    Isn't it a waste of breadthspace?
    Since my bro in law is a developer, I have found, through seeing him and his developer friends (and by reading the posts in this fourm for the first, and last time), all computer people like to a: bash Microsoft and b: help each other with projects like this in their spare time. So, I would have to say that no, it is not a waste of bandwith. Russ may have more time to devote to major improvements while enthusiastic hobbyists can help out with the small stuff.

6. Standard member StrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    24 Jul '03 02:25 / 2 edits
    As far as I know (I don't want to re-read the messages on this forum) I have been the only one who made some remarks about Microsoft, so I'm assuming the "Microsoft bashing"-remark was directed at me.

I have lived my recent life under the assumption that I could make myself understood in English well enough to joke around a bit. Apparently, it is still possible for native English speakers to mistake my gentle stabs at Microsoft for Microsoft bashing.

For the record, therefore: if I'd like Microsoft anymore than I already do, it would no longer be considered 'liking' but 'loving', and even though I'm a straight guy, I'd probably have to suppress the urge to propose to Mr. Ballmer.

My best friend once jokingly said he'd give me a t-shirt that would read "CHtmlView is my friend", since I used that class in more software than I care to remember. And wasn't the integration of Internet Explorer into Windows one of the first reasons to sue Microsoft? I'm grateful Microsoft has not been forced to undo this integration, because it's made my life a lot easier in the past couple of years.

However, I don't think that my appreciation for Microsoft('s products) should be an obstacle for me to take a poke at, or even criticise, that company every once in a while. Unconditional appreciation and loyalty has not proven to be a very healthy attitude.
  7. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    24 Jul '03 08:12
    Stray Jay.

I'm a bit confused, I didn't think anyone had accused you of "Microsoft bashing" - or am I missing something here...

I generally always fight for Bill in the anti-ms debates, but the rumours of no more free upgrades to IE after IE6 SP1, and the demise of the Netscape browser, just as it was finally maturing, has really pi**ed me off.

Although I’m sure the two events are coincidental (well, the timing is, anyway), I can’t help feeling a little bit uncomfortable about it.

-Russ

8. Standard member StrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    24 Jul '03 09:12
    Russ,

Contexts are everything, and a state of mind is a context too... When I read the message posted by Willatkins, I had just written a message in another thread on this forum, making fun of Microsoft. So when I read his message, I thought he was referring to those messages. Especially when I read that this would be his "first and last" appearance here; I thought he meant that he didn't like the MS-bashing atmosphere. Re-reading his post with a different mindset, I can see his intentions were probalby completely different...

MS charging money for new versions of IE is good news, I think. I always chose IE because it's a good AND free product, but as soon as that overly wealthy company starts charging me for it, I'll switch to Opera in no time flat. It's just as good if not better, and the only reason why I'm not already using it, is the money that they charge for a regular version. When IE and Opera are balanced in that respect, I prefer to support the underdog.

I think MS is guilty of a lot more than just bad timing, but as long as they keep coming up with products that increase my productivity, I won't complain.
  9. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    24 Jul '03 12:35
    Ah, but my understanding is this.

The problem is not that you have to pay for it, the problem is that you can only get an upgrade by upgrading Windows itself. (Of course, I'm sure the service packs will appear as normal, but if you want to get the next major release, its upgrade time.)

-Russ
  10. Standard member gregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    24 Jul '03 16:38
    StrayJay, I understood your lighthearted barbs just fine. No worries.
  11. Donation willatkins
    Frustrated...
    24 Jul '03 22:28
    Originally posted by StrayJay
    As far as I know (I don't want to re-read the messages on this forum) I have been the only one who made some remarks about Microsoft, so I'm assuming the "Microsoft bashing"-remark was directed at me.

I have lived my recent life under the assumption that I could make myself understood in English well enough to joke around a bit. Apparently, it is sti ...[text shortened]... n a while. Unconditional appreciation and loyalty has not proven to be a very healthy attitude.
    Stray Jay,

Nothing was directed at you. If you reread my posting, you will see that I refered to computer developers in general, by bro in law and his friends in specific. I was just saying that any IT person I have ever met doesn't care for Bill and loves Linux.

I am sorry if you took offense.

Bill
  12. Standard member StrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    24 Jul '03 23:26
    No Bill,

I absolutely didn't take offense. As I wrote, above, I misinterpreted what you wrote. My mistake, I'm sorry.

J.
  13. Subscriber Crowley
    Not Aleister
    27 Jul '03 16:19
    Hey, this all sounds like it ought to be in the general forum...
    Where's the dev talk?
  14. Standard member StrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    28 Jul '03 01:08
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Hey, this all sounds like it ought to be in the general forum...
    Where's the dev talk?
    Well, feel free to suggest an actual topic, Crowley. I briefly explained what I'm doing so other people who are thinking about similar initiatives can decide what they want to do with their ideas: turn it into a competing product, or offer me suggestions so they don't have to go through the trouble of implementing those themselves. I think that's the main reason of existence for this forum.

Of course, if you have other ideas about how to fill this forum with dev talk... Shoot! :-)