Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    20 Apr '04 13:58
    Hi, I just recently became a subscriber cos I enjoyed playing so much. I have a problem not though. I joined a tournament and suddenly every time I log on, I've got 17 games waiting for me. My problem is that I connect through dial up, so I just calculated that if I spend as much time on RHP as I am at the mo, then my phone bill will be over €200 monthly just for RHP.
    Are there any plans to implement a system for sods like me outside broadband areas, whereby I could log into RHP, download all my games and then disconnect. Then use a local php window (like the current analyse board screen with a load PGN option) to load up each game and figure out my moves. Then once I've decided on each game, relog on, make my moves and log off. This way, I'd only be online for a few minutes at a time, and I'm not paying for the connection while I mull over my moves.

This should also cut down on some of the bandwidth being used up on the server side of things.

I don't have any other chess software to load the PGN/FENs into.
    Alternatively, does anybody know free/shareware chess software into which I can load my games?

Cheers
    D
  2. Standard member tejo
    a unique loser
    20 Apr '04 14:05
    you can get the PGN or FEN code from every game. If you have a program like chessbase or chesspad, you can load those codes in and then you can think about the moves without being online. You can get these codes by clicking the info button, and click the link get PGN or something like that. I hope this helps
  3. Standard member Phlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    20 Apr '04 14:10
    Originally posted by donallyne
    Hi, I just recently became a subscriber cos I enjoyed playing so much. I have a problem not though. I joined a tournament and suddenly every time I log on, I've got 17 games waiting for me. My problem is that I connect through dial up, so I just calculated that if I spend as much time on RHP as I am at the mo, then my phone bill will be over €200 ...[text shortened]... does anybody know free/shareware chess software into which I can load my games?

Cheers
    D
    This thread might move to either Help and Site ideas, or General forums.... so keep an eye out.

You can, go find "winboard"! Winboard or Xboard depending on your OS.

Just do a search, it is free. Winboard lets you paste PGN, I don't bother with FEN since I like to back the game up and see how I got in that position.

Next you can go to your game list and email your games home... I think that is PGN and FEN info, but I must admit I've never used the function.

Give me a PM if you really can't find Winboard on your own, and I'll stir it up for you.

P-

4. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    20 Apr '04 19:42
    Chesspad works a treat.

Thanks,

D
  5. 12 Aug '04 20:14
    also have a look at scid (scid.sf.net, probably).
  6. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    14 Aug '04 19:56
    another cool chess freeware is Arena. It's a chess GUI. You can get it at www.playwitharena.com it's availible in many languages (English, ...)
    I like it very much!
    th
  7. Standard member prn
    28 Oct '04 19:39
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Next you can go to your game list and email your games home... I think that is PGN and FEN info, but I must admit I've never used the function.
    I decided to try this idea out. I got WinBoard, which is OK. Not perfect, but OK. I'll have to check out some of the others mentioned too. The problem comes when trying to get all your PGNs from current games. It turns out that the "[so-and-so]'s Public Games" page has FENs from your games (if you show the miniboards) so that's one place you could grab them from. I agree, though, that it's nicer to have the whole game PGNs so you can back them up.

I tried the trick of mailing the games to myself, but there are at least two problems with that. First, that page allows you to select ALL games or ONLY COMPLETED games. I want ONLY CURRENT games, but that's not an option. The other problem is that the result is an HTML page with the games in a really horribly bad format. I considered writing some kind of script to clean them up. I know that gregoftheweb has the pgn cleaner, but that's good for one at a time and requires a lot of manual intervention.

I came up with a different solution. I wrote a Perl script (Perl is extremely portable) that connects to RHP, gets my current game list from the "prn's public games" page with no miniboards and "In Progress" games only. It then parses out the game IDs and gets the PGN cut'n'paste page for each of those games, splits off the junk before and after the PGN, leaving the PGN for each game and writing that to a file. The result is a single file with the PGNs for all of my games. So far this seems to work nicely.

I tend to keep the number of games I am playing at any given time to around 12-20 so they easily fit onto a single page. I suppose I ought to generalize the routine so it will get all the games even if they require multiple pages, but IIRC the RHP routine normally puts 30 on a page and doing this for offline analysis is probably not all that practical for huge numbers of games anyway. I can't really see DustnRogers or Cheshire Cat figuring out 500 moves offline and then connecting to RHP to make them.

Is there any demand for my script? Should I post it somewhere for anyone to use? If one or two people want it I can easily send it individually. If noone wants it, that's fine. It works OK for me. It's really pretty short. It should work as is for up to 30 in progress games. I'd have to modify it for more, but that wouldn't really be all that hard to do. I'm not sure it's worth doing though.

Best Regards,
    Paul
  8. Standard member Arther
    The Turtle Hermit
    30 Oct '04 22:42
    A simple solution I've found is using the tab feature of Netscape 7. Just load 'My Games' page on your main tab window, then right-click your mouse on 'Your Move'. This opens a new tab window for that game. Do the same for as many games as you feel comfortable with, go off-line, and figure out your moves. This worked great for me while I've been playing the Grand Sprint II tournament.
    Try it.
  9. 05 Nov '04 15:56
    If you let the pages load fully when you are online and click on analyze board and let this load also the pages dshould be saved for offline use.

When you go offline you should just be able to select work offline and the pages you need should be stored in the cache so you can view them as normal. I just note down my moves on a piece of paper or in notepad for next time I go back online.

You may need to change your temporary internet file and browser settings if this doesnt seem to work straight away.