Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. 08 Dec '07 21:52
    Hi all, I have an idea for a new thing I'd like to build but I'm not sure if the resources I need are available.

Quick background, I'm a .NET desktop app developer, but have recently been doing Java Web programming - mostly servlet business objects and data related pieces. I'm not very familiar with other Web technologies and know nothing about greasemonkey.

Since many of us have jobs that don't smile upon playing internet chess at work, I want to build something that will print diagrams, maybe 6 to a page, of all your pending games. That way I can print it off in the morning and make the moves offline throughout the day.

I don't know what RHP has to offer to make this easier. I know I can email my incomplete games to me, but that is too much of a hassle to do every morning. If I can't build a one-step process, I probably won't do it.

Are there any webservices hosted by RHP that will allow me to authenticate in and get my pending games images or even just FEN diagram text? I can build something to turn the FEN to an image ( I think there are some free API's out there to do this as well).

Any other developers have any idea's on how to do this, or is there something like this already out?

Thanks for your help.
  2. 09 Dec '07 05:05 / 1 edit
    Follow up

In http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=10195, prn writes that he wrote a perl script that connected to RHP, got the game id's from the my games list that were pending, connected to each game and got the PGN.

I noticed that the FEN diagram is in the source for each game, so I might have to build an automation tool that will pull up each pending game and get the FEN from the source. I've never done anything like that before, so some help would be appreciated.
  3. 10 Dec '07 19:25
    Update, I've learned how to do this with .NET.
  4. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    15 Dec '07 17:54
    There's a few XML feeds from the site. I think the one for games waiting is something like:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/xml/simple/gameswaitingcount_xml.php
  5. 15 Dec '07 20:57
    Hmm... that is pretty nice. I've already built the tool. It just goes to the games list page and grabs all the game ID's for any game with the "Your Move" caption. It then navigates through each pending game and grabs the FEN from the source. It then uses Excel to nicely print out a sheet with each diagram, 6 to a page. Just one click.