Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    16 Nov '03 17:36
    Just recently I stumped up the cash for the Zend Studio IDE (www.zend.com). I cannot overstate how much it has changed my development habits. Every programmer should use a profiler - and here is one for PHP.

The bad news, it cost nearly $300 if you live in the EU. It still amazing value for money, and I only wish I had owned it 3 years ago.

BTW : It does have a 30 day evaluation, and a free for non-commercial use option too. But if you can afford it, and you are serious about your PHP, then support those Zend guys and get a copy, as it is amazing.

-Russ
  2. 08 May '04 10:37
    I use Dreamweaver to code php but would be as happy with anything that colours my code - what makes ZEND studio so much better? I f the difference is really that great I might have to look into it.

voidstate
  3. Standard member gregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    13 May '04 21:53
    Speaking of IDE's, I keep finding cooler, deeper functionality with VS.Net. The more I use it the cooler it is.

For instance, at home I have the free MS SQL Desktop Engine (the free developers version of SQL Server) installed. It does not come with the Enterprise tools that SQL Server ships with, well using the server browser in VS.Net you get much of that functionality built right in. Awesome.

Just one example of many. Still wish it didn't munge on my markup, but what the hey.
  4. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    23 May '04 20:11
    Originally posted by voidstate
    I use Dreamweaver to code php but would be as happy with anything that colours my code - what makes ZEND studio so much better? I f the difference is really that great I might have to look into it.

voidstate
    Well, it is a little beyond syntax highlighting.

It has an IE plug in which allows you to debug(step into,etc)/profile any page as you are browsing your dev system. This has resulted in loads of optimisations - mainly inefficient SQL. The bottlenecks become oh so obvious...

It just has many things that you would expect on a modern IDE, but it is for PHP.

-Russ
  5. 24 May '04 19:40
    I wonder if it is indeed worth the $300. I always use a simple syntax highlighting editor, and do the rest myself (yes, even the HTML!). I find that thinking a little in advance might save you a lot of time already. Also I stick to the rule "one SQL query per page load" and you don't need more (times, that is). If you don't put megabytes of data in your dbase per time you open it, it won't get significantly slow.
    Only debugging is a little slow, but I strive not to put in bugs in the first place
  6. 18 Jun '04 21:22
    Most of the coding I do is for Unix based systems with Unix based applications in mind, so I use Quanta, an open source IDE for PHP. I did look at Zend Studio very briefly though, but it complained when I tried to use the built-in PostgreSQL functions... any idea if that's supported nowadays, or was I just missing something?