Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. 31 Aug '03 21:00
    I've been working with HTML on my site, and are learning a lot, so I'm interested in other forms as well!

Now what is the difference between HTML and PHP?

Olav

2. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    02 Sep '03 11:32 / 1 edit
    have a look at www.php.net
    you find a good introduction and examples;
    th

ps: very short and incomplete answer to your question: while html is static, php is a programming language, which means the (html)output of you program is dynamic: imagine a site which displays the time: there are php functions to show the date, you put this in html format so that a browser can interprete it.
    when you've already worked with html you know that you cant always publish the actual date: but php can put the date on the required place.
  3. Subscriber Russ
    RHP Code Monkey
    03 Sep '03 14:31
    HTML is a language that is understood by your browser to render pages.

PHP is a scripting language that is used to generate the HTML code before pushing it down the wire to your browser.

So PHP is executed on the server, HTML is 'executed' on your browser.

Only client side scripts are executed on the browser, such as JavaScript. (or the evil VBScript, but don't ever use this.)

I don't want to confuse you, but you can actually use JavaScript on the client (browser) to generate HTML too, so sometimes you can end up writing PHP code to generate JavaScript code to generate HTML. Oh, the fun.

-Russ
  4. Standard member gregoftheweb
    The Great Gonzo
    04 Sep '03 00:45 / 1 edit
    or asp(which is my flavor) to generat xslt, from within which you can call the asp com object and reinstantiate asp that can then interpret more code that renders some xml that can render new xsl on the fly that can output script that can render html. But I don't recomend that as it's a bit harry.
  5. 03 Mar '07 20:30
    PHP is also able of connecting to databases, writing files (even images), sending mails, ftp functions, XML, pdf,... And it's totally free unlike ASP.
  6. 04 Mar '07 00:47
    Dont learn asp and that crap stuff. PHP will give you a great understanding to learn other languages.
  7. Standard member XanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    04 Mar '07 12:29
    Originally posted by Zarog
    PHP is also able of connecting to databases, writing files (even images), sending mails, ftp functions, XML, pdf,... And it's totally free unlike ASP.
    3 years and 6 months to the day. I think that's a record for non-ironic thread necromancy.
  8. 21 Mar '07 17:17
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    3 years and 6 months to the day. I think that's a record for non-ironic thread necromancy.
    What do you mean with that?
  9. Standard member coentje
    Plop!
    23 Mar '07 15:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Zarog
    What do you mean with that?
    he means you are resurrecting a thread from the dead that has been dead and buried and happily forgotten about for more then 3 years.

If you look hard you might be even able to find a thread that has been dead longer and where people will be less interested in than this one but it will be difficult to find such a thread.
  10. 20 May '07 12:09
    Well on other forums the flame wars about freeware and the paid software are happily continued.
  11. 20 May '07 22:47
    Some people are happy driving a car. Others want to look under the hood too. (Of course, it might prove difficult finding somebody who is happy about putting gas into it nowadays.)

While I'm sure I could have easily found the same information elsewhere, I found the explanation by Russ to be extremely clear and it has prompted me to explore the PHP site. So from my perspective, the fact that the thread has been brought back to life is a good thing. Those who disagree are entitled to their opinions.
  12. Standard member Daemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateā„¢
    21 May '07 02:47
    Originally posted by AlboMalapropFoozer
    Some people are happy driving a car. Others want to look under the hood too. (Of course, it might prove difficult finding somebody who is happy about putting gas into it nowadays.)

While I'm sure I could have easily found the same information elsewhere, I found the explanation by Russ to be extremely clear and it has prompted me to explore the ...[text shortened]... s been brought back to life is a good thing. Those who disagree are entitled to their opinions.
    I agree.

There's some good information buried in this forum.