Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    07 Oct '03 00:58
    Whether the player is new, or a rising grandmaster, or experimental and adventurous, or embarks on an unbeleivably massive number of three day games and gets timed out on a string of fifty, or whatever; If their ratings are changing rapidly then i beleive they should only have a small affect on the ratings of their opponents. Perhaps then the opponents should even have an extra affect on them so that they settle more quickly.
    I suggest that if anyone's rating from 20 games ago differs by more than 80 points from their present then they be considered temporarily provisional. Then they have only half the affect on their opponents and their opponents have full (or more) affect on them.
  2. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    13 Nov '03 07:16
    have a look at baron of chess 29 straight wins no draws no losses, his rating should be provisional. i suspect many strong players avoid him to keep their ratings up.
  3. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    16 Nov '03 08:00
    just to clarify : i believe Baron's rating should be provisional not to punish baron, but to allow entry. To allow baron to play against players who care about their rating. To stop them from shying away.
  4. 27 Nov '03 06:04
    Hi,
    I agree there is a 'shying away' problem.
    But i see an alternative solution.
    Players could at any time negotiate the K factor and play for less rating impact if they desire so.
    Anyhow, my shrink claims there is no direct link between my ego
    and my redhotpawn rating
    So we shouldn t worry that much about the item ...

5. Standard member StrayJay
    I'm like a nerd
    27 Nov '03 06:20
    I think I suggested something similar a couple of months ago, in the General Forum. In the end, we came to the conclusion that the current situation was better than the one I suggested at the beginning of the discussion. :-)

I C U R from Chesstralia. From Chessnock, near newCastle, by any chance? :-)
  6. Standard member flexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    27 Nov '03 11:29
    can you explain why these changes would be worse?

francis, queenstown (near kingston)