Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. 22 Nov '05 07:40
    Howdy,

I'm only a lowly nonsubscriber, but I think you would add value to the game by adding a third option to your NEW GAME section under color: RANDOM.

This way its all up to the gods, or CPU cycles, or ticks since jan 1901, or whatever php uses.

Ever thought of a .NET port?

Steve
  2. 12 Dec '05 11:52
    good idea mate
  3. 12 Dec '05 15:19
    Originally posted by DarkwingDuck
    Howdy,

I'm only a lowly nonsubscriber, but I think you would add value to the game by adding a third option to your NEW GAME section under color: RANDOM.

This way its all up to the gods, or CPU cycles, or ticks since jan 1901, or whatever php uses.

Steve

My God!!! Don't ever say that word again!!! Geez... NET... what a gastly construction that is... No, please, stick with PHP in all its beauty...
  4. 14 Dec '05 20:45
    Hey I'm a .NET developer by trade... don't dis it!
  5. 18 Dec '05 22:49
    Hey I'm a .NET developer by trade... don't dis it!
    Ok. I'll respect that. But why use it for new applications? Yea, sure, it's only been around for a few years so it's alive and kicking. But, really, do you think MS technology will stand the test of time?
  6. 21 Dec '05 12:45
    I think MS has stood the test of time better than anything else out there besides Free BSD! How many programming languages have come and gone, and we still have trusty old VB? Who owns over 50% of the market share when it comes to operating systems? Truth is you can't much avoid the fact that MS will be involved in your computer life for some time to come.

I have a well rounded view because I also use to develop in C and Java on solaris platform. .NET just makes development much easier.

Anyways, a good developer will leverage the positive aspects of all systems and environments. I'm just not a good developer!
  7. 23 Dec '05 23:08
    Howdy,

Steve
    If you want when making a game filp a coin with heads for white tails for black.
  8. 25 Dec '05 21:34
    Excellent idea. I have always wondered why it was not present.
  9. 02 Jan '06 16:03
    I think MS has stood the test of time better than anything else out there besides Free BSD! How many programming languages have come and gone, and we still have trusty old VB? Who owns over 50% of the market share when it comes to operating systems? Truth is you can't much avoid the fact that MS will be involved in your computer life for some time to co ...[text shortened]... leverage the positive aspects of all systems and environments. I'm just not a good developer!
    Isn't VB practically dead now? And isn't C# more popular among MS's at the moment. Seems so to me. Also, let's not forget that C# is built on Java, which is one of the most popular programming languages out there. And C certainly isn't dead. It's been around since the early seventies and it's still the only good alternative when writing low-level modules close to the machinery (unless you feel like doing a little assembly the hard way).

Personally, I'm no fan of MS-technology (you know, monopoly, ripping off and all that), but they do control all those flimsy go-with-the-latest-trend kind of programmers, and there's a lot of them out there.

I've no grudge with you though. You like MS. That's fine with me. I guess.

Have a good year no matter what you choose to work with.
  10. 06 Sep '06 14:13
    Originally posted by stocken
    [b]Ever thought of a .NET port?

My God!!! Don't ever say that word again!!! Geez... NET... what a gastly construction that is... No, please, stick with PHP in all its beauty...[/b]
    WHATTT!? Come back when PHP has a sensible code-completion software, source-compilation, large function set that arn't all in the same namespace, namespaces at all for that matter, variable typing and sensible exception handling.

I've developed for PHP for four years and in two months of .NET programming my programs develop faster, nicer, with less errors and on bigger projects.
  11. 06 Sep '06 14:15
    Originally posted by stocken
    Isn't VB practically dead now? And isn't C# more popular among MS's at the moment. Seems so to me. Also, let's not forget that C# is built on Java, which is one of the most popular programming languages out there. And C certainly isn't dead. It's been around since the early seventies and it's still the only good alternative when writing low-level modules clo ...[text shortened]... fine with me. I guess.

Have a good year no matter what you choose to work with.
    Just a little note. Java is not a programming language, it is a grammar (you can use Sun's implementation of Java which is what most people mean when they say Java).

Microsoft have an implementation of the Java grammar that they called J and it has subsequently morphed through J to J++ to J#. C# is nothing to do with Java, the Java grammar or Sun Java.
  12. Standard member coentje
    Plop!
    07 Sep '06 05:16
    Originally posted by evildictaitor
    Jnothing really worth going in to
    you poor little man, trying to talk with the big boys and having no idea what you are talking about....