Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. 15 Oct '04 08:46
    Black should get an extra weighting when calculating ratings after each game.

This is because it is acknowledged to be harder to win playing second in a game.
    In fact for 2 players of equal rating it is generally accepted that a draw is the best outcome for black.

Within RHP, it is currently advantageous to play white every time.
  2. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    15 Oct '04 08:57
    I don't think that it's "easier" to win with white.
    No rating system I know takes the colour in account. The ratings formula is good.
    You can post your idea in the more visited "site ideas"-forum.
    th
  3. Standard member dfm65
    The Godfather
    30 Oct '04 10:25 / 2 edits
    i don't think you'll get far though - i tried to float this idea a while back. and what happens in other places may not be relevant, as you probably get a balance of black and white games. here it is possible just to play games as white. i've noticed that when i create equal numbers of black and white open invites, the ones where my opponent gets to play white are taken up more quickly. it definitely is easier to win as white, against an equal opponent - black's first task is to struggle to achieve equality.
  4. Standard member jonbeckett73
    jonbeckett73
    10 Nov '04 19:42
    There is an argument that black has an advantage over white, and people just prefer white because they are used to playing computers as white.

Looking back into the 1800s, Black was the preferred colour - it was seen to be the "lucky" side to play... possibly because white's first move doesn't do anything in particular - whereas black can force white's play from it's first move.
  5. Standard member dfm65
    The Godfather
    12 Nov '04 02:10 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by jonbeckett73
    There is an argument that black has an advantage over white, and people just prefer white because they are used to playing computers as white.

Looking back into the 1800s, Black was the preferred colour - it was seen to be the "luc ...[text shortened]... lar - whereas black can force white's play from it's first move.
    i suspect that in the 1800s they didn't have a very developed concept of 'initiative' nor of 'dynamic play'...

i don't think it is true that white's move does not do anything in particular - 1.e4 and 1.d4 seek control over central squares and open lines for bishops and queens to develop for example.

i also don't think it is true that black can force white's play from its first move. example: 1.e4 c5. Now white can play 2.Nf3 for an open Sicilian, 2.Nc3 for a closed Sicilian, 2.c3 - preparing 3.d4, 2.d4 for a Morra Gambit, and so on. of course, black's move constrains white to some extent, but so is black constrained to some extent by white's first (and subsequent) moves.

EDIT: I should add that statistics show that, at the highest levels, white is more successful overall. This seems to indicate that white has an advantage. It is not definite proof of course, but someone who says black has the advantage needs to explain this result.