Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. Subscriber ouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    01 Feb '07 21:40
    New URL = new post!

http://members.shaw.ca/ouroboros/RHP/

Clicking on the 'Stable release' will get you the latest stable version of the extension.

This version adds player rating and country flags in forum postings beside the poster's nick. This does not use RHP server resources which is why I have hesitated in doing it in the past.

Thanks to chessmob.org, I've been able to set up a database of player data and the extension grabs it from there. The database is not pre-populated. New player data gets into the database as you view profiles or games. This means that not all posters will have data beside their name until the database is updated.

Of course, the data will not be real-time and may be inaccurate until the next database update. This should be good enough, however, as unless you play a ton of games, your rating doesn't flucuate that frequently. And unless you are some kind of mercenary, your country flag should remain relatively stable once set.
  2. 01 Feb '07 23:27
    Thanks.
  3. 02 Feb '07 03:53
    Hey!! It works! Glad to help.
  4. Subscriber ouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    02 Feb '07 17:29
    Originally posted by giantrobot
    Hey!! It works! Glad to help.
    BTW, giantrobot is the admin at chessmob.org.

For clarification, populating the database is a "distributed" effort. When anyone using the extension views a profile or a game that they are playing, the database gets updated with the most recent rating and country for the players being viewed. The results are usable by everyone using the extension. The good thing is that by just playing games, you are keeping the database updated. You do not need to be constantly viewing people's profile. In fact, it's discouraged.

The more people using the extension, the faster the database will be populated and the more accurate that it will be. It does help if you are playing lots of games though.
  5. 04 Feb '07 00:11 / 1 edit
    I like it a lot.
    I've changed it to open the 'My Games' page instead of the next game waiting when clicking on the status-bar link - I prefer to see what's waiting before going through the games.

If the URL to visit was made a user changeable option this would make it (even more) top notch.

Do you (anyone) know if there are any more feeds from the site? A 'new messages' indication would be nice .
  6. 04 Feb '07 06:38
    There are now 575 players in the database:

http://ouroboros.chessmob.org/rhp/view_ratings.php

There have been 1108 'get_ratings' requests so far.
  7. 05 Feb '07 06:34
    Now 779 players and 6160 requests. Seems to be getting more popular.
  8. Standard member reader1107
    petting the cat
    05 Feb '07 17:06
    I love this! Thanks!!! And of course a renewed thanks for all the other ones as well!
  9. Subscriber ouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    08 Feb '07 22:17
    0.1.4 is out.

- Options for pretty much everything available in the addon: 1) open in new window, new tab, or current tab, 2) enable/disable of checking and extended player data usage, 3) open next available game or my games page, and the old options.

- Nicer looking options window.

- In forums, a player's rating will gradually fade out depending on how old the rating data is. Darkest means the data is up to date while various shades of gray indicate the data hasn't been refreshed in a while or it just hasn't changed in a while.
  10. Standard member SPDChess
    Chess Monk
    09 Feb '07 15:02 / 2 edits
    Got it working, very nice. Thanks!
  11. 10 Feb '07 13:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by ouroboros
    New URL = new post!

This version adds player rating and country flags in forum postings beside the poster's nick. This does [b]not
    use RHP server resources which is why I have hesitated in doing it in the past.

[/b]
    Is that why the flags greasemonkey script doesn't show you the country name in the forums? Probably a bleedin' stupid question, but curiosity and a lack of knowledge forces me to ask.
  12. Subscriber ouroboros
    Digital Alchemist
    10 Feb '07 14:55
    Originally posted by st00p1dfac3
    Is that why the flags greasemonkey script doesn't show you the country name in the forums? Probably a bleedin' stupid question, but curiosity and a lack of knowledge forces me to ask.
    Fair question. It's either because the order in which the addons are run, i.e., Greasemonkey runs before my RHP addon; or maybe it's because the DOM is modified by my RHP addon and Greasemonkey doesn't pick up the changes.

Regardless, I'll update the addon to include country names.
  13. 12 Feb '07 03:56
    Now 2170 players in the DB

For feb thru today: around 85000 get_ratings and around 9000 post_ratings. 17000 of the get_ratings were yesterday.

Only 14 hits for ouroboros.chessmob.org/rhp/extensions/rhp.xpi ??
  14. Standard member SPDChess
    Chess Monk
    12 Feb '07 09:17
    Hello ouroboros,

Using your extension and noticing that the rating and flag doesn't show up after I restart Firefox. I have tried it a few times, using my own and your as a test. When I click on users link, get the flag to show country (sometime I have to click twice for that), then go into forums and the rating and flag show up. Then restart Firefox and visit forums and now flag/ratings

Any thoughts? A setting I might have or something like that?

Thanks!
  15. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    12 Feb '07 11:19
    Originally posted by SPDChess
    Hello ouroboros,

Using your extension and noticing that the rating and flag doesn't show up after I restart Firefox. I have tried it a few times, using my own and your as a test. When I click on users link, get the flag to show country (sometime I have to click twice for that), then go into forums and the rating and flag show up. Then restart Firefox and ...[text shortened]... and now flag/ratings

Any thoughts? A setting I might have or something like that?

Thanks!
    Umm, maybe you're clearing your private data everytime you exit FF?
    Tools > Options > Privacy. I don't know, but that's the best I can come up with.

D