Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Developers Forum

Developers Forum

1. 08 Nov '04 14:47
    I have been agonizing over throwing off the windows chains and switching to opensourse. Next summer I am going to build a computer and I want it to run red hat. Does anyone use this OS, and what do you think of it? Will I have any problems as far as purchased programms like my tournament software, or chessmaster?

Mike
  2. 08 Nov '04 22:58
    You will need a Windows emulator (or something similar) to run the programs you have bought for Windows.

In many cases you will be able to find open source equivalents, but your biggest problem will be sending and receiving Word documents, particularly if they include complex formatting such as tables.

(My experience is of switching from Windows to Mac; there's quite a lot of open source available for Mac because the current operating system is based on BSD Unix. Lots of programs can open Word files, but very few can print them correctly.)
  3. 30 Nov '04 02:55
    Linux is kicking my butt. I have been trying to get it online but am having a miserable time of it. I have been trying for the last week with redhat 9. Everything looks and works great.
  4. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    30 Nov '04 09:37
    Originally posted by RolandYoung
    ... Lots of programs can open Word files, but very few can print them correctly.)
    I've heard that OpenOffice.org is very good (as good as MS Office) - can you confirm this?
    th
  5. 30 Nov '04 13:40 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by thire
    I've heard that OpenOffice.org is very good (as good as MS Office) - can you confirm this?
    th
    i can confirm OpenOffice is very good. i have run across a couple of little problems with formatting when transferring from MS to OO, but on the whole i actually like Open Office better than MS.

edit: and its free
  6. Standard member Drax946
    The Chess Clan
    02 Dec '04 19:49 / 1 edit
    I downloaded Knoppix 3.6 last night, burned the CD this morning, and am using it right now! It really rocks if you want to try out Linux without wiping out your Windows installation (boots and runs from the CD and devices autoconfigure!)

For anyone else interested in trying Linux to see what all the buzz is about, give this a shot. Its a 700MB download for the CD image available in German and English. It un-compresses on the fly so you actually have more than double the stuff that would fit on a regular 700MB CD-ROM.
  7. 06 Dec '04 19:21
    I finally got my redhat online! I was having a problem with the dhcppp0. I finally got some good advise in a linux forum. (after being closed down on my first attempt to explain a problem in plain words) I had a problem with tripple "p" oe, that was solved with a cheap router. It is amazing how fast the opsys runs when it is not failing gnome opps. Now is blisters and am having a ball with it. Once you know how to get around the sys. it is easy as pie. Plus it is fun and challenging. Now in a few months it will be the end of the 'blue screen of death'

Mike
  8. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    12 Jan '05 13:33
    what about installing software under Linux?
    For windows there are many selfinstaller and I've heard that installing is quite diffcult under Linux...
    I konw my question is a bit too general to answer, but just tell me your experiences.
    (I tried to install R (www.r-project.org) here at university under Linux: no way (for me - what shall I download, what is rpm, ...???). I don't wnat help on this specific topic - just general help
    th
  9. Standard member skryking
    Seeking the Present
    19 Jan '05 21:52
    installation is generally distribution specific... Redhat/fedora clones tend to use rpm's... Debian clones tend to use deb's and there are others like gentoo that uses a system called ebuilds. so depending on your distro you will need to find the type of installation file used by it.

Skryking
  10. Standard member steerpike
    Red Republican
    20 Apr '05 09:01
    Originally posted by rapalla7
    Linux is kicking my butt. I have been trying to get it online but am having a miserable time of it. I have been trying for the last week with redhat 9. Everything looks and works great.
    Isn't Redhat 9 a couple of years old? Any particular reason for choosing it?
  11. Standard member thire
    Xebite
    20 Apr '05 16:38
    get knoppix as a fist step!
    www.knoppix.net
    th